Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy and Verification?!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Navy and Verification?!

So my friend that is CURRENTLY ACTIVE DUTY applied for membership and credit card through my suggestion... Both Approved but instantly frozen the following day pending verification.

He faxed over some documents but now they are saying he needs to do it in person!

This is the side of Navy that I hate... they seem SO STUPID sometimes trying to talk to someone with a brain cell.

They said because he is within 50 miles of a branch (it's literally like 49) they require in person instead of through fax or online!

WHAT can't they verify with Navy on their own when someone is active... I thought that was the point of your badge number or whatever they asked for when applying... it's not even like family or long retired... HE IS ACTIVE!

He wants to just close the accounts but 1. that makes me mad that they are treating active duty like this and 2. I love navy when you don't have to talk to them but hate to see him loose the account just because he can't get a brain cell on the phone.

Anyone else had this issue and found work around?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy and Verification?!

I just wen through something like this on yesterday.  I've been with Navy for over 10 years.  They closed down all of my accounts....checking, savings, 2 CC and a PLOC without any warning.  The only way that I found out about it was because I normally log on in the mornings to check my balances.  The site allowed me to logon but when I tried to get into one of my accounts, I got a message saying that a condition exists and to call NFCU at their main number.

I thought that this was just a website issue.  Roughly 8 hours later I decided to call because I kept getting the message.  CSR was not very helpful as she tried to evade my questions but finally said I'd have to call security when they open at 8:00 AM and to send in a copy of my license and SSN card.  I did this by secure message and called back at 8 AM sharp.  The CSR at this time would not transfer me to security but said that they have all the documents they needed and that it would take up to 5 days to lift the restrictions.  I asked her what was I supposed to do for money until then since all my accounts were frozen and of course she said she did not know.  Never heard anything back from that day.

Later that evening I logged back on out of curiosity and I had a SM asking me to go to a CU in person to put in my password.  Got up and went to CU on Friday morning as soon as they opened.  CSR there started asking for all kinds of documents.  At this point, I had had enough and explained to her that I did all the ID stuff and showed her the message from security.  She appeared pissed at this point.  We finally got everything cleared up and I asked her what was this all about.  She siad it was because I hadnt used the CC much and all of a sudden I showed about 5 purchases over the past 7 days.  So why didn't they just shut down the CC and leave my checking/savings open???  I learned to never put all of my money in one place from this one incident.

Message 2 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

It's stories like these that make me leery of NFCU... I got my USAF (active duty) brother to join just a few weeks ago, and I joined myself just last week, and got a credit card as well. 

I hoped doing it this way - methodically, with him going first then me using his access number - would prevent any problems.  So far, everything looks OK, but due to the stories going around I'll always have to wonder each time I use the card (which won't be often - it's my 'back up'/low APR card - making the situation even more 'iffy' for me).

The only thing I have in my favor is that my brother is near a physical branch, so if they went 'renegade' on me he could drop by to prove his ID, and I could figure out a way to prove mine remotely.  He did apply to refi his vehicle, but was denied (he's going through a divorce, lots of messy financial stuff involved) so maybe during that process they 'checked him out' sufficiently.

On the flip side, there are others on here who say they joined by declaring that a grandparent retired from the military - and provided no proof at all - and they are doing fine.  I guess it just depends on the 'weather' the particular day NFCU are looking over our accounts.

Edited to add:  A rep did call me and left messages a couple of times, saying he wanted to welcome me and let me know of some ways to take advantage of my membership, but I never called him back, assuming it was a sales call.  Maybe I should have... Smiley Surprised

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uncle B,

When I joined a rep from NFCU called me as well a couple of days afterwards.  It was basicly a "welcome to the club" call.   We added a checking account at that time and the PLOC credit line.  I had the approval before I got of the phone for the PLOC.   Set up pin numbers for the cards, etc.   I guess it was a sales call in someways but it was not a hard sale by any means.   It took probably 20 minutes total.

Message 4 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Uncle B,

When I joined a rep from NFCU called me as well a couple of days afterwards.  It was basicly a "welcome to the club" call.   We added a checking account at that time and the PLOC credit line.  I had the approval before I got of the phone for the PLOC.   Set up pin numbers for the cards, etc.   I guess it was a sales call in someways but it was not a hard sale by any means.   It took probably 20 minutes total.

+1

Ah, thanks for letting me know!  Each of the messages was very friendly, and honestly I do feel a little bad about not calling back (they sounded really nice) but in my case I don't really need another checking or LOC, so I guess it's OK. 

I think (hope) if it had been the 'membership police' the tone would have been a bit different... LOL

Message 5 of 13
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

This honestly scares the crap out of me. The closet branch to me is like 120+ miles away. I have been a member for about a year. Have a checking / savings account with really no money in it and a cash rewards visa. I want to switch my banking over but stories like this really worry me.

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 6 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@darkfrosty wrote:

This honestly scares the crap out of me. The closet branch to me is like 120+ miles away. I have been a member for about a year. Have a checking / savings account with really no money in it and a cash rewards visa. I want to switch my banking over but stories like this really worry me.

+1

I feel fortunate to be eligible for membership through my brother, and I like having access to a low-APR credit card for those times where it's easier to carry a balance, but when it comes to checking, you'll have to pry my USAA account out of my cold dead hand.  Smiley Very Happy

I know things change, and it's always possible USAA will change as well (for the worse), and if that happens I'll roll with the punches and adjust.  But for me, even having my accounts locked for a couple of days would have a huge impact... and I just can't justify the risk, no matter how small it may be. 

For now, I'm giving NFCU the benefit of the doubt with a credit card and $100 in savings.  Once I get 'settled in' I might consider putting a bit more with them, but for now that's my comfort level.

Message 7 of 13
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

I have a checking account with USAA but hardly any money in there. I do my banking with Chase because it is just so easy and there are branches every where by me. I have like 75$ in my NFCU account. I will mainly use USAA for insurance and stuff like that.

Message 8 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@darkfrosty wrote:

I have a checking account with USAA but hardly any money in there. I do my banking with Chase because it is just so easy and there are branches every where by me. I have like 75$ in my NFCU account. I will mainly use USAA for insurance and stuff like that.

I have an old account with Wells Fargo that I use for the occasional cash deposit (and like you mention with Chase, they are also quite prolific as well) but moving my primary checking to USAA is one of the smarter things I've done. Everything is free... even paper checks.

I get my direct deposit a day early, and all ATMs are free; they rebate the other bank's fee up to $15 each month.  I'm not insurance eligible until my father gets a policy, but when the time is right I'll remedy that.  Two of my brothers use them for insurance (they are both military/prior military) and say the rates can't be beat.  My understanding is that my rates likely won't be as low as theirs since my membership is inherited rather than earned, but I suspect they will still give State Farm a run for their money.

Since USAA does free ACH transfers to other banks, I transfer $500 each month to my Wells account to get my Wells monthly fee waived (their system 'sees' the AHC transfer as a "direct deposit"). 

I checked out NFCU's checking, and it's certainly not bad, but I would lose getting my direct deposit a day early, and if I remember correctly they don't do ATM fee reimbursements unless you're active duty.  If I had a NFCU branch close by that might be worth overlooking, but since they are just as 'remote' as USAA to me I might as well stay put.

Message 9 of 13
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

Yea im tempted to bank with USAA because there is no verification problems like there could be with navy federal.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.