cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a source of income over the summer?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Need a source of income over the summer?

Im freshman college student who makes $15/hr tutoring at a middle school however I won't have a source of income over the summer when the middle school semester ends. I'm wondering what the best options are for me. I'm currently looking for internships that are related to my field, Data Science, but I might not have learned enough to find an internship in Data. I could settle for a summer camp internship where I teach math or find an unintellectual job but I just wanted to know if there are any other good options.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need a source of income over the summer?

Usually, places like amusement parks or pools will be hiring staff and lifeguards for the summer months, so you could go that route.

If you have a car, you can drive for Uber or Lyft or both and make decent money.

You could apply to be a server at local restaurants.

Checking with your school for internships is always good, but as you said might be hard to get with limited experience so far.

I know when I was in school the student center had a bunch of flyers posted with job offers and stuff, so that's a good place to check.

Of course, there are always retail jobs and stuff like that as well.

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 2 of 4
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Don't recruiters go to your uni selling their intership programs?  It's about the right time of year for that.  I don't know what Data Science entails, but it sounds very marketable.  Of course, it all depends on whether your GPA passes muster.

If you don't think you can go that route, then ask your parents/relatives/family friends to help set up a summer job for you.  This is when you take advantage of connections.  My brother worked for my company for 2 summers in a job directly related to his major.  He had to interview to get the job and of course do a good job to be offered another place, but it was something I facilitated.  His first real job was from a connection he made from that summer job.  Take advantage of who you or your family knows.

Sometimes working simply for the experience is just as good.  Volunteer to do research for a prof in your field during the summer.  Carry that over in the school year.  My uni gave credit for honors research. 

Message 3 of 4
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Ok I landed unpaid internship so far. Still searching for paid one.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.