cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PayPal Business Debit Card sent with no chip!

tag
Boragard
Established Contributor

New PayPal Business Debit Card sent with no chip!

Hey Everyone,

So I just got a replacement PayPal Business Debit MasterCard in the mail because my old one expires next month.  I was expecting it to have a chip, but it does not!  Smiley Surprised

I thought all cards had to be chipped by October 2015.  I'm assuming PayPal will soak up any fees if this card is used and compromised if its not chipped by October

Does anybody out there have a chipped card from PayPal?  Does the chipped version exist on this card?

Thanks for your feedback!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New PayPal Business Debit Card sent with no chip!

@Boragard wrote:

Hey Everyone,

So I just got a replacement PayPal Business Debit MasterCard in the mail because my old one expires next month.  I was expecting it to have a chip, but it does not!  Smiley Surprised

I thought all cards had to be chipped by October 2015.  I'm assuming PayPal will soak up any fees if this card is used and compromised if its not chipped by October

Does anybody out there have a chipped card from PayPal?  Does the chipped version exist on this card?

Cards do not have to be chipped by October 1.  October 1 is the date for the liability shift.  Cards should be chipped but no requirement that they have to be.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No PayPal debit, but I received a new Visa Debit card for my new bank account(bought out my old bank) and it did not come with a chip. I was surprised but was told they will upgrade the cards at a later date. So yeah, some are in no rush it appears.

Message 3 of 7
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Boragard wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Cards do not have to be chipped by October 1.  October 1 is the date for the liability shift.  Cards should be chipped but no requirement that they have to be.

Exactly as irish quoted. just the date of liability Shift. They will get around to it eventually. But they don't have a Deadline. I wonder who's pocket the financial industry Greased to get this law passed anyway? Changing the liability Shift to merchants for Non Emv Cards.

Message 4 of 7
Ron1
Super Contributor

PayPal Plus Credit Card will have the chip next month. Not the PayPal Debit Card.

Important Information Regarding Your PayPal Extras MasterCard - Yahoo Mail.png

Message 5 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

They don't have to have a chip by October 1, it's just the liability will shift, so most companies are on the ball and replacing cards now, but nothing says they have to. My BJ's card still has no chip (Comenity seems really behind on this with all of their cards as I think none have chips), nor does my BCE or my QS. I really don't care one way or another, as I don't travel internationally or anything, so when they replace them, they replace them...doesn't impact me at all.

Message 6 of 7
Ron1
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

They don't have to have a chip by October 1, it's just the liability will shift, so most companies are on the ball and replacing cards now, but nothing says they have to. My BJ's card still has no chip (Comenity seems really behind on this with all of their cards as I think none have chips), nor does my BCE or my QS. I really don't care one way or another, as I don't travel internationally or anything, so when they replace them, they replace them...doesn't impact me at all.

Yes, they have. Fuel Rewards MC has the chip. They sent me an email to ask me if I want to get one.

Big protection in a tiny chip is here - Yahoo Mail.png

Ron.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.