Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Investing - Questions

tag
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

New to Investing - Questions

Hello guys,

I'm interested in opening up two accounts. A roth IRA and another account to maximize savings over time (but not for retirement). First should the second account for savings be a Money Market Account? I bank with Bank of America (Checking, Savings, Credit Card) and thought about opening their Merrill Edge Roth IRA and Rewards MMA. My initial deposits will be $2,500 each (just to test the waters). I'll be eligible for their preferred rewards gold initially. Are these accounts recommended? Secondly, can you guys give me general tips on maximizing my portfolio and some the best ways to maximize profit? I realize that is a wide topic, but any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

Re: New to Investing - Questions

@xXIDaShizIXx wrote:

Hello guys,

I'm interested in opening up two accounts. A roth IRA and another account to maximize savings over time (but not for retirement). First should the second account for savings be a Money Market Account? I bank with Bank of America (Checking, Savings, Credit Card) and thought about opening their Merrill Edge Roth IRA and Rewards MMA. My initial deposits will be $2,500 each (just to test the waters). I'll be eligible for their preferred rewards gold initially. Are these accounts recommended? Secondly, can you guys give me general tips on maximizing my portfolio and some the best ways to maximize profit? I realize that is a wide topic, but any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

Anyone? Or do you guys have any links to resources that would be helpful? I realize myfico doesn't endorse this advice and this this is just general advice from the community. 

Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 2 of 6
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

JMO, I would spend a few hours to educate myself on the basics to become a "self directed investor".

What that means is basically you do the research and make your investment choices without a broker's

input. If you can get to that point - which doesn't need to be difficult - the only logical place to keep

your investment accounts is at a discount brokerage. Schwab, Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, E-trade are a few

popular discount brokerage houses. I can recommend Fidelity and Schwab from about 20 years experience

with both. The best research for starting as a "self directed investor" is to get a good grasp of what mutual

funds are, what ETF's are, what fund expenses and low cost funds are,  what index funds are and what dollar

cost averaging is. There are a million esoteric details, products and stategies, but for a small investor just

starting out, limiting oneself to mutual funds and ETF's is the best course. Common sense investing in mutual

funds is not difficult, but it does require a bit of knowledge.

I can give you a hint on what your research should reveal:  no one you'll be dealing with has

any statistical relevant ability to time the market at all; no one you'll be dealing with has any ability to statistically beat

random dart throwing for stock picking; because of those 1st two facts investment expenses become a very

important factor over longer time frames in portfolio performance; and finally indexing with low cost funds makes the

most sense for stock/bond investing strategy for the little guy

I personally would not do business with Merril lynch. I had a Merril Lynch CMA account back before they were

absorbed by BOA. From a little recent experience with them dealing with my mom's finances they don't appear to have

changed much. In other words what you'll get with them is an arrangement where it is as important for them to

make money off your account as it is for you to make money. I have the same negative opinion about any full service

broker, too much conflict of interest. They all cost too much for what they do, which is basically nothing if you are willing

and able to study and master very basic investing knowledge.

The hardest part to do well with investing is to be disciplined about actually saving. The second hardest part is to

stick with your rational plan during times of market upheaval (like now).

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 3 of 6
ttleigh
Regular Contributor

Have you looked into dividend reinvestment plans?
Message 4 of 6
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

@bada_bing wrote:

JMO, I would spend a few hours to educate myself on the basics to become a "self directed investor".

What that means is basically you do the research and make your investment choices without a broker's

input. If you can get to that point - which doesn't need to be difficult - the only logical place to keep

your investment accounts is at a discount brokerage. Schwab, Fidelity, TD Ameritrade, E-trade are a few

popular discount brokerage houses. I can recommend Fidelity and Schwab from about 20 years experience

with both. The best research for starting as a "self directed investor" is to get a good grasp of what mutual

funds are, what ETF's are, what fund expenses and low cost funds are,  what index funds are and what dollar

cost averaging is. There are a million esoteric details, products and stategies, but for a small investor just

starting out, limiting oneself to mutual funds and ETF's is the best course. Common sense investing in mutual

funds is not difficult, but it does require a bit of knowledge.

I can give you a hint on what your research should reveal:  no one you'll be dealing with has

any statistical relevant ability to time the market at all; no one you'll be dealing with has any ability to statistically beat

random dart throwing for stock picking; because of those 1st two facts investment expenses become a very

important factor over longer time frames in portfolio performance; and finally indexing with low cost funds makes the

most sense for stock/bond investing strategy for the little guy

I personally would not do business with Merril lynch. I had a Merril Lynch CMA account back before they were

absorbed by BOA. From a little recent experience with them dealing with my mom's finances they don't appear to have

changed much. In other words what you'll get with them is an arrangement where it is as important for them to

make money off your account as it is for you to make money. I have the same negative opinion about any full service

broker, too much conflict of interest. They all cost too much for what they do, which is basically nothing if you are willing

and able to study and master very basic investing knowledge.

The hardest part to do well with investing is to be disciplined about actually saving. The second hardest part is to

stick with your rational plan during times of market upheaval (like now).

Thank you so much. This was extremely helpful. It looks like I will be going with Fidelity instead of Merrill Lynch.

Message 5 of 6
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@ttleigh wrote:
Have you looked into dividend reinvestment plans?

This is how I personally invest in individual stocks.  

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.