Not applicable

New to myFICO, but not new to FICO

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

Re: New to myFICO, but not new to FICO

@Anonymous wrote:

So...... long story short, this past summer my credit on all 3 B's was in the mid 500's. I had $90k in student debt, which they never collected on, and was subsequently removed from my report. No BK's or judgements. Haven't been in the "credit game" since 2006 because of that. 

As of Sept 2014, it fell off, and I guess you could say college was "free"

My score immediately jumped to mid 600's.

However, in the meantime, I also had 3 credit cards that were meant for "bad credit" with 30%+ rates, which helped tremendously from 2010-2014.

As of today, he is where i'm at

TU - 710

Exp - 744

Efax - 701

Decided to go bonkers on credit apps recently....

Here is where I'm at... with 7% utilization

NFL - $4000

Merrick Bank - $1600

First National - $900

Discover - $1400

Best Buy - $300

First Savings - $1000

Amazon - $400

Paypal - $500

Home Depot - $3000

Lowes - $600

TJX -$300

Target - $1000

Valero - $1000

Chase Slate - $2500

Marriot Rewards - $6000

@+Unsecured Instalment Loan @ 9% - $9500 / $312/mo

Goal? Get all over 800 within 36 months. Steadily increase limits to a collective $250k with less than 10% utilization. Pay off Installment Loan withing 12 mo, repeat 2 more times.

-B

You know student loans never go away even in Bankruptcy. They will eventually garnish your wages and sell it to another lender and it will come back on your CR. My advice is to pay your student loans.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't think so. Under CA contract law, they have 4 years to collect. They would have sued me by now. Private loans don't have the same rules as gov backed loans. 

It's also hard to garnish when I'm an independent contractor and have been for 13 years, so they didn't bother.  

Message 3 of 12
Fox342
New Contributor

You borrowed the money for student loans, you should pay it back.  People like you...that don't pay their bills are the reason rates are so high.  I really dislike people that take out loans and don't pay them back...thieves.  Personally I think people like you should go to prison for this.  Oh, and your college wasn't "free"...if it was a private loan people lost money because of your sorry ass...and if it was a government loan taxpayers like myself paid for it.  When you're a deadbeat and don't pay your bills you really shouldn't go around bragging about it...it just let's everyone now how sorry you are.  And I noticed how you phrased it..."they never collected on"...so it's their fault?  They didn't collect on it?  NO, YOU DIDN'T PAY IT.

"The borrower is slave to the lender."
(EQ: 820) (TU: 827) (EX: 815)
Message 4 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

As a general reminder  Let us all  be respectful of one another. Thanks!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Friendly-Supportive-and-Respectful/td-p/2797115

Message 5 of 12
Fox342
New Contributor

Sorry about that.  I got a little carried away.  I stand by my beliefs, but I should have toned it down some.  Thanks for the reminder.

Fox

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Listen FOX. I know I messed up, and I probably should have been responsible and paid the 27k I borrowed back (they added over 60k in interest over the years).

But sometimes in life "**bleep**" happens, and you're unable to pay back what you borrow.  

For 9 years now, I have not had access to credit, and I have sacrificed a-lot - everything I have paid for I've done with the money I've made on my own through sub contracting without ever holding a W2 job.

I'm not the "irresponsible" 19 year old that I was. I would never do that again. I actually feel really bad about it, but I'm not going to be a target and taken advantage of. I'm going to stand up to these big bully banks and lenders, and that's exactly what I did. In the end, I won, they lost - that's the point I was trying to make.

With that said, if you feel I should be in prison, well so should 10's of millions of Americans, and half of the largest corporations in the world. Remember what happened in 2008? I/We gave banks/ Auto manufactures/ Hospitals and countless others, BILLIONS because they couldn't meet their obligations.  Where was our "payout"?

We live in the greatest country in the world, that has a foundation for understanding that mistakes DO happen and WILL. 

I appreciate your concern and advice, but you have missed the point. 

Message 7 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Another reminder to debate respectfully.

One post has been removed.

Message 8 of 12
Fox342
New Contributor

Sorry about that.  My previous post was deleted by the moderator.  I thought I toned it down, but I guess I didn't tone it down enough.  And I should not have called anyone names, like a thief, etc.  I do apologize.  I don't want to be banned from the forum so I'm trying to get my point across without breaking the forum rules.  I really enjoy reading on the forums and I believe that this a great place for people to get help or keep from getting into trouble in the first place.    

I know we're supposed to be supportive and positive and I have been with all of my other replies in other threads.  I really do want to help people avoid mistakes or help them overcome their mistakes once they've made them.  It is however very hard for me to be supportive of someone that takes out a loan when they need the money and then doesn't pay it back.  And on top of that they brag about not paying the loan back and consider that...taking on the banks and winning.  The banks were generous enough to loan out the money when it was needed...but then not paying it back is taking them on and winning?  I just don't see that. And then the same person has a goal of acheiving 250k in credit?  From the same banks they took on and won no doubt.  

I've had a lot of debt in my past...so much that I'm sure I could have claimed BK or even just not paid it back, but I knew the right thing to do was to pay back what I borrowed.  I borrowed the money regardless of my circumstances, jobless, overwhelmed with credit card debt, etc...but I still knew that I borrowed the money and I was responsible for paying it back...so I did.  It wasn't easy, and I had to make a lot of sacrifices...but I paid it all back.  I think most people feel the way I do and almost anyone can overcome their finanical problems with hard work, sacrifice, and integrity.  Yes, there are times when people need to claim BK, but I believe a lot of those people could have paid their bills back without doing that.  I've even seen people post saying that BK is the easier way out. Easier is not always better or the right thing to do.  I personally now people that have claimed BK that could have worked their way through it...they just didn't want to...and I still think that's wrong. And I've seen people that probably should have claimed BK but didn't...medical debt, etc.

As for the high fees from interest...fees and fines are added to the loan when you don't hold up your end of the bargain like you said you would when you took out the loan. The people or banks loaning the money deserve to be compensated for loaning the money that they loaned out...and if it's not paid in the time that was agreed upon then their are consequences for that...financial consequences.  And banks are more than buildings...people own banks, or own interest in banks, work in banks, etc.  Banks loan people money when they need it and for the most part that helps people.  The more people that default on their debts the more people that are affected by it...by high interest rates, etc.  If a bank closes down people lose jobs...that hurts people, the bank, and the economy.

I still stand by my belief that taking out a loan and not paying it back is wrong.  I believe in personal responsibilty.

Fox

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fox342 wrote:

You borrowed the money for student loans, you should pay it back.  People like you...that don't pay their bills are the reason rates are so high.  I really dislike people that take out loans and don't pay them back...thieves.  Personally I think people like you should go to prison for this.  Oh, and your college wasn't "free"...if it was a private loan people lost money because of your sorry ass...and if it was a government loan taxpayers like myself paid for it.  When you're a deadbeat and don't pay your bills you really shouldn't go around bragging about it...it just let's everyone now how sorry you are.  And I noticed how you phrased it..."they never collected on"...so it's their fault?  They didn't collect on it?  NO, YOU DIDN'T PAY IT.

Hello Fox342. I'm with you on all points!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.