Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that apple pay and contact less payments are "the future"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that apple pay and contact less payments are "the future"

what's going to be so fun about having 10 credit cards ?!  A CSP won't be special anymore ! Amex platinum , amex black will just be images on a screen ..... Gardening is going to feel very different ! You are not going to spend  a week anxiously waiting for that credit card to arrive ..... Smiley Sad Smiley Sad 

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Now that apple pay and contact less payments are "the future"

Until my dying breath I am not paying with my phone. Honestly once I buy a house, I may get rid of my cell phone.

Message 2 of 42
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Physical credit cards will be around for along time to come.. Apple pay (which isn't the first although they like to say they are) and other NFC's payments by phone have been around for years now and haven't really taken off..  Imagine if your phone battery dies?  Plus alot of places don't have NFC for whatever reason.  You will have a need for a physical card for a long time to come.

Message 3 of 42
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Honestly, I don't think actual cards will disappear for a very long time.

You have a certain segment of the population who doesn't have or want smartphones. You have a segment who does have a smartphone, but doesn't want to pay with it (like me). I do not trust inputting my information into my smartphone, for some reason, just don't wanna pay that way. I do not see how it is so much easier vs. just swiping a card.

If actual cards do disappear, it is going to take YEARS. Remember, cell phones have not entirely replaced landlines. Email has not 100% replaced paper mail. etc. Things take time to change and evolve. Apple Pay just came out in october. You won't see actual cards discontinued for a very long time, if ever, because a certain percentage of people simply won't use the smartphone pay option. It's a novelty at the moment, have to see if it sticks. I don't believe in relying on your phone for every task during your day, simply because what if it dies? You're screwed if you are using it to pay. I just don't like it.

Message 4 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tablets where also considered a "novelty" less than 4 yrs ago ! Now You go to toys'r'us and all you see is tablets , a lot off households have a tablet . Apple pay is creepy as *bleep* I saw a guy use it at McDonald's I almost didint want to eat !  Do you guys remember not so long ago Bluetooth was a luxury , especially if it came in cars . Nowadays it's almost mandatory !!! 

Message 5 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I take a different view. I used to have a landline, but realized that I never used it, and gave it up. It's been 5 years, and I have no regrets. Similarly, if I could pay by phone, I would. I'm waiting for a Wallaby like app to interface and choose the best card. Once that happens, I may never take out my wallet and trim it down to 1-2 cards, just in case a place doesn't have NFC. I'm very hopefully that I largely won't need to use them, though.

Message 6 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

The banks are really pushing for people too use apple pay , I understand apple has that type of money to pay the banks for the marketing of apple pay , but  give it at least 4 more years and it will be actually making some noise ! 

Message 7 of 42
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I'd prefer not to use my phone, because I don want to buy a new phone whenever they upgrade the software, hardware, etc. Nope, not for moi (and most of the population, remember we are just one country).
Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 42
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, I am going to take a wild guess that you do not have an iPhone 6.

If you did, and tried to find places that use Apple Pay, you would realize that "phone based payment everywhere" is so far in the future as to be meaningless for discussion in 2015.

The other little hole in that future is, Apple Pay is currently only in the U.S. and global standards for payment (where you would be using the CSP) require a physical card, unless there is some localized version of Apple Pay in that country, and if there was, you would probably not be able to use it anyway.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I take a different view. I used to have a landline, but realized that I never used it, and gave it up. It's been 5 years, and I have no regrets. Similarly, if I could pay by phone, I would. I'm waiting for a Wallaby like app to interface and choose the best card. Once that happens, I may never take out my wallet and trim it down to 1-2 cards, just in case a place doesn't have NFC. I'm very hopefully that I largely won't need to use them, though.

Wallaby sucks ! 

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.