Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that apple pay and contact less payments are "the future"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Now that apple pay and contact less payments are "the future"

@NRB525 wrote:

OP, I am going to take a wild guess that you do not have an iPhone 6.

If you did, and tried to find places that use Apple Pay, you would realize that "phone based payment everywhere" is so far in the future as to be meaningless for discussion in 2015.

The other little hole in that future is, Apple Pay is currently only in the U.S. and global standards for payment (where you would be using the CSP) require a physical card, unless there is some localized version of Apple Pay in that country, and if there was, you would probably not be able to use it anyway.

Lol I have iPhone 4s though  Smiley Very Happy 

Message 11 of 42
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Tablets where also considered a "novelty" less than 4 yrs ago ! Now You go to toys'r'us and all you see is tablets , a lot off households have a tablet . Apple pay is creepy as *bleep* I saw a guy use it at McDonald's I almost didint want to eat !  Do you guys remember not so long ago Bluetooth was a luxury , especially if it came in cars . Nowadays it's almost mandatory !!! 

He was there, using his iPhone 6 to pay for a McDonald's meal, slumming really, because it is one of the very few places you can actually show off your Apple Pay skills Smiley Happy

And banks are pushing to get you to put their card on your iTunes account, and keep their card as the default in your iPhone because Apple Pay works so damn fast that there is no chance to sort through your cards to pick just the right rewards card, unless you take the time to do so. Taking that time, while standing at the register, to scroll through 8 cards in your phone, however, just does NOT look cool when using Apple Pay. And Apple Pay is totally about that cool factor. So the banks really really REALLY want to get to that default space on your iPhone Apple Pay, because in this game, if ya ain't first, yer last.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 42
Callandra
Valued Contributor

If Apple Pay was going to replace physical cards, that is wayyyy into the future. First of all, not everyone has the right device to even use Apple Pay (I have an iPhone yes, but an iPhone 4S, not a 6) -- plus I know some people who HATE Apple and refuse to use anything related to it and you will always have that chunk of the population so there would have to be an alternate/competitor to Apple Pay by another company. Second, looking at the list of retailers that accept Apple Pay isn't that great -- noticably, Wal-Mart, Target (physical stores), etc are missing. A LOT of people shop there. I shop at Wal-Mart every week and go to Publix (also not on the list) fairly often. Apple would really have to step it up and get some of the biggest retailers in the country (world in Wal-Mart's case) to accept Apple Pay. 

And like otherwise stated, you will always get people who don't have cell phones (and don't want them) and others who won't pay with their phone (I'm in that bracket). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 13 of 42
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

If you did, and tried to find places that use Apple Pay, you would realize that "phone based payment everywhere" is so far in the future as to be meaningless for discussion in 2015.

The other little hole in that future is, Apple Pay is currently only in the U.S. and global standards for payment (where you would be using the CSP) require a physical card, unless there is some localized version of Apple Pay in that country, and if there was, you would probably not be able to use it anyway.

Then your assignment for this weekend is to get an upgrade to the iPhone 6 Smiley Happy

Apple Pay, as a feature of the iPhone 6, is a really nice one.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 42
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Then your assignment for this weekend is to get an upgrade to the iPhone 6 Smiley Happy

Apple Pay, as a feature of the iPhone 6, is a really nice one.

There are an lot of places that block nfc payments like cvs and walmart and best buy so "nfc payements" by phone isn't probably going to take off for another year or two. NFC payments have been out for an long time long before apple came out with apple pay so we will see how this all play out. Maybe just because apple is doing it it will force retailers to upgrade their machines that will accept NFC. That is an win for all customers , doesn't matter if you are an apple hater or apple lover. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 15 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been trying Apple Pay in promoted locations and in random locations alike.  The experience is AMAZING when it works, but that's only about one out of every 50 credit card transactions I make.

It worked flawlessly at Whole Foods, for example.  I almost couldn't believe it worked so well.

But then I tried it at Walgreens.  My CSP was denied through Apple Pay.  Then my AmEx was denied through Apple Pay.  Swiping my CSP worked fine.  Well, I guess maybe their systems aren't up to date, that's fine, I'll try something else.

I tried a random NFC-enabled Coke vending machine.  CSP was denied through Apple Pay, but AmEx worked through Apple Pay!  What the hell?!

I tried using it at Panera Bread and the cashier looked at me like I was crazy even though there were signs all over the entrance saying "We have Apple Pay!"

I tried using it at American Eagle, and the payment went through, and the cashier proceeded to ask to see my ID and the card I paid with. Smiley Frustrated NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE. 

Trying to tell whether or not it's going to work isn't a simple matter of whether the point of sale has the NFC logo - and it's not whether or not it's a promoted store, either.  Even if they have an NFC-enabled point of sale, the underlying transaction network has to support EMV tokenization, and there's no way to tell if it's supported just by looking at the terminal.

I think Apple Pay - or something very similar - is the way people will pay in 10 years.  Apple Pay with the Apple Watch is going to be great.  But merchants that support it, and cashiers that know how on earth to do it properly, are few and far between right now.

I do think the "oh it's weird to pay with a phone" thing is overblown - imagine how strange it must have been the first time someone paid with a piece of plastic with a magnetic strip on it!  Or, the first time someone paid with fancy-looking paper of no intrinsic value instead of gold coins...

Message 16 of 42
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Tablets where also considered a "novelty" less than 4 yrs ago ! Now You go to toys'r'us and all you see is tablets , a lot off households have a tablet . Apple pay is creepy as *bleep* I saw a guy use it at McDonald's I almost didint want to eat !  Do you guys remember not so long ago Bluetooth was a luxury , especially if it came in cars . Nowadays it's almost mandatory !!! 

He was there, using his iPhone 6 to pay for a McDonald's meal, slumming really, because it is one of the very few places you can actually show off your Apple Pay skills Smiley Happy

And banks are pushing to get you to put their card on your iTunes account, and keep their card as the default in your iPhone because Apple Pay works so damn fast that there is no chance to sort through your cards to pick just the right rewards card, unless you take the time to do so. Taking that time, while standing at the register, to scroll through 8 cards in your phone, however, just does NOT look cool when using Apple Pay. And Apple Pay is totally about that cool factor. So the banks really really REALLY want to get to that default space on your iPhone Apple Pay, because in this game, if ya ain't first, yer last.

And this.

Signature needs updating
Message 17 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The banks are really pushing for people too use apple pay , I understand apple has that type of money to pay the banks for the marketing of apple pay , but  give it at least 4 more years and it will be actually making some noise ! 

Apple is not paying the banks. They are promoting Apple pay to seem like they are keeping up with new technologies. They aren't really worried about it being sucessful, they just want to add Apple Pay so they can say they support it and so if you do use it, it's with their card.

@Anonymous wrote:

Tablets where also considered a "novelty" less than 4 yrs ago ! Now You go to toys'r'us and all you see is tablets , a lot off households have a tablet . Apple pay is creepy as *bleep* I saw a guy use it at McDonald's I almost didint want to eat ! Do you guys remember not so long ago Bluetooth was a luxury , especially if it came in cars . Nowadays it's almost mandatory !!!

Inreally don't understand what exactly is creepy about paying with your phone. Please enlighten me.

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Physical credit cards will be around for along time to come.. Apple pay (which isn't the first although they like to say they are) and other NFC's payments by phone have been around for years now and haven't really taken off.. Imagine if your phone battery dies? Plus alot of places don't have NFC for whatever reason. You will have a need for a physical card for a long time to come.

You're right, Apple Pay is far from the first contactless payment system, but they've never said they were the first. When they introduced the system, they specifically mentioned other systems and said there's was a better experience.

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been trying Apple Pay in promoted locations and in random locations alike.  The experience is AMAZING when it works, but that's only about one out of every 50 credit card transactions I make.

It worked flawlessly at Whole Foods, for example.  I almost couldn't believe it worked so well.

But then I tried it at Walgreens.  My CSP was denied through Apple Pay.  Then my AmEx was denied through Apple Pay.  Swiping my CSP worked fine.  Well, I guess maybe their systems aren't up to date, that's fine, I'll try something else.

I tried a random NFC-enabled Coke vending machine.  CSP was denied through Apple Pay, but AmEx worked through Apple Pay!  What the hell?!

I tried using it at Panera Bread and the cashier looked at me like I was crazy even though there were signs all over the entrance saying "We have Apple Pay!"

I tried using it at American Eagle, and the payment went through, and the cashier proceeded to ask to see my ID and the card I paid with. Smiley Frustrated NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE. 

Trying to tell whether or not it's going to work isn't a simple matter of whether the point of sale has the NFC logo - and it's not whether or not it's a promoted store, either.  Even if they have an NFC-enabled point of sale, the underlying transaction network has to support EMV tokenization, and there's no way to tell if it's supported just by looking at the terminal.

Pretty weird that only some places are working. I don't think that the POS needs to have anything more than NFC support. The tokenization is done with the information the phone sends and the internal bank systems. They may have deactivated it or there could be something else going on. Every NFC merchant really should work. Also funny that AE asked for an ID because in the Apple Pay promo video, part of the "bad experience" of credit cards was being asked for an ID, technically they are only allowed to ask for an ID if they have a significant suspicion of fraud, as per Visa, MasterCard, and Amex merchant rules.

@Callandra wrote:

If Apple Pay was going to replace physical cards, that is wayyyy into the future. First of all, not everyone has the right device to even use Apple Pay (I have an iPhone yes, but an iPhone 4S, not a 6) -- plus I know some people who HATE Apple and refuse to use anything related to it and you will always have that chunk of the population so there would have to be an alternate/competitor to Apple Pay by another company. Second, looking at the list of retailers that accept Apple Pay isn't that great -- noticably, Wal-Mart, Target (physical stores), etc are missing. A LOT of people shop there. I shop at Wal-Mart every week and go to Publix (also not on the list) fairly often. Apple would really have to step it up and get some of the biggest retailers in the country (world in Wal-Mart's case) to accept Apple Pay. 

And like otherwise stated, you will always get people who don't have cell phones (and don't want them) and others who won't pay with their phone (I'm in that bracket). 

Wal-Mart and some other stores don't support Apple Pay because they have specifically deactivated it until their competing, barcode and checking account based system comes out. Many other stores they support Apple Pay aren't on the list and you might not know they support it. Most of the new EMV card terminals support it, even if it doesn't have a logo on it, many have a sensor below or near the device's display.

Message 18 of 42
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Apple Pay seems like it could be a good experience -- I just don't have an issue with the "experience" of sliding my card for 2 seconds (or inserting it with the EMV chip later this year). What is the big hassle?

The competing system (I think called CurrentC) is even worse. Scanning a barcode to pay for a purchase? Then the cashier scans a barcode? Can someone explain how that is faster than sliding a card? It is more of a hassle IMO. I don't see that system taking off at all.

I enjoy my physical cards and I will not give them up until forced which will be years from now at the earliest. Everyone has proclaimed the doom and gloom of things when newer tech comes out and it is never entirely true. Books (not ebooks) are still around, newspapers are still around, paper checks are still around. The latter is something most people don't regularly use, but it's not completely gone. Physical cards will take a very long time to just vanish.

Just like most places still accept checks as payments, places are still going to accept physical cards regardless of smartphone payments being an option.

Message 19 of 42
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Since we are discussing new technology, can someone please explain to me what the "Internet" is?Smiley Very Happy

There  was a time when I thought online banking was the most rediculous idea they ever came up with. But then I'm not much of a forward thinking person. Now that's all I do.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.