Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Of all things Solar. Anyone Gone Solar?

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Of all things Solar. Anyone Gone Solar?

I've been contemplating going solar as a result of rising energy costs. Being in So Cal, the sunshine is abundant year round, So why not take advantage of this infinite natural resource? 

From a strictly financial perspective, what has been your experience with going solar? I've heard stories of folks producing more energy than they are using and thus get a "refund/credit" from there energy company. 

I don't really care for a refund. I just want most of my energy costs covered. Utilities are a huge expense, and like everything else, there only going to go up!

Ideally I would like to go solar and then go with mostly electric appliances.  Dryer, stove, hot water heater etc etc. 

What has been your experience? Financial savings? Costs incurred?

Most importantly, how Has going solar affected your families budget?

Any and all solar experiences are welcome. 

TiA!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Of all things Solar. Anyone Gone Solar?

My neighbors did solar.  They worked for the company and bought close out materials that were heavily marked down + plus the employee discount.

They installed.  Electric company put in two meters.  One for the usage and one for the sell back to the grid.  They are required to pay $5 plus taxes PER meter.  They don't actually "live" in the house...but use it for a vacation home.  So they are there maybe 2 days a month?

The electric company does NOT pay them any money.  They pocket the electric and say pay up for the meters.  But that is here (east coast)...not there in SoCal.

Just read that a HUGE electric company on the east coast is being scolded for wanting to build a nuclear plant to increase production and ignoring all of the green ways to product electricity that would actually help the planet AND lower costs for customers.

Check into it.  Call the local electric company.  Ask questions of them.  Check out their website.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.