tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opened a Chase account

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase is a bit odd in that they don't have any problem with people churning their bank account bonuses.  Discover, by way of contrast, will only give you one bonus for each type of account during your life.  Thus with Discover it's a nice plan to wait until they are offering the bonus at its highest historic rate.

I wouldn't go that far. I usually get flagged by Early Warning system if I try to open an account online. I have to go into a branch and somehow I'm able to open the account. 

I am unsure what you mean by "I wouldn't go that far."  You wouldn't go as far as to say that Chase lets people get their bonus once a year?  Or you wouldn't go as far as to say that Discover only lets you do it once?

I'm confused!  :-)

It means there is a point where Chase will say "enough" with account churning, because Early Warning Systems (owned by Chase and others) will flag you. 

Between EWS and Chex I can see why people have a hard time getting a new checking account after others have been closed in the red... Crazy stuff how much information is on these reports...

Message 11 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase is a bit odd in that they don't have any problem with people churning their bank account bonuses.  Discover, by way of contrast, will only give you one bonus for each type of account during your life.  Thus with Discover it's a nice plan to wait until they are offering the bonus at its highest historic rate.

I wouldn't go that far. I usually get flagged by Early Warning system if I try to open an account online. I have to go into a branch and somehow I'm able to open the account. 

I am unsure what you mean by "I wouldn't go that far."  You wouldn't go as far as to say that Chase lets people get their bonus once a year?  Or you wouldn't go as far as to say that Discover only lets you do it once?

It means there is a point where Chase will say "enough" with account churning, because Early Warning Systems (owned by Chase and others) will flag you. 

Between EWS and Chex I can see why people have a hard time getting a new checking account after others have been closed in the red... Crazy stuff how much information is on these reports...

FYI for others, Bank of America, BB&T, JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo & Capital One own EWS.

I opened & closed accounts with BoA, Chase, US Bank & Wells Fargo over the past couple of years for bonuses, no problem. I've also opened accounts at 5 credit unions the past couple of years, 1 for bonus, the others for their credit offerings - car loan, Home Equity & CC; I still have 3 of the CU accounts. I pulled my Chex report last year, all clean, haven't bothered with EWS, but I've never an overdraft or even a returned item from a deposit.

I walked into my local Chase branch yesterday, same branch where I opened & closed and account in 2015 for a new account bonus, and opened a Total Checking account in minutes with my mailer coupon for $300 bonus. I'm moving a direct deposit to Chase since the account has to be open at least 6 months to not forfeit the bonus, I might even stick with them for awhile - I stuck with BoA for a year & a half until I got tired of them. Wells Fargo is the only one where I "dined & dashed", closing the account shortly after I got the bonus since the dummies forgot to include a time limit for closing the account without penalty or bonus forfeit. I hate Wells Fargo with a well earned passion.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you buy one of those Chase total checking $300 bonus coupons on ebay and bring it to a branch?  Or does Chase keep a list of who qualifies (based on address) so those who didn't get mailed a coupon don't qualify? 

Message 13 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you buy one of those Chase total checking $300 bonus coupons on ebay and bring it to a branch?  Or does Chase keep a list of who qualifies (based on address) so those who didn't get mailed a coupon don't qualify? 

Check Doctor of Credit, the posting for the Chase bonus may be a couple pages back now, but they have a link to the Chase URL where you can input your email address and they email you a coupon. I have a problem accessing DoC on my home internet or I'd post it, the Chase url, linking to DoC is frowned upon. Chase doesn't keep a list of names & addresses, I'm pretty sure my mailer said "resident", but each code is unique.

Message 14 of 16
sid33
Regular Contributor

My mailer just had "Resident". It was for the Total check, but if you are Military/Veteran they will upgrade it to the Premier Plus and wave the minimum balance requirement.  

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You may be right, of course, but I doubt it.  The Chase Checking/Savings accounts are well known as the best bank accounts for churners (meaning opening them, getting the bonus, and closing them -- every year).  Many people have been churning these for years and years.  I am kinda late to the game.

The fine print for the offer specifies that you are ineligible if you have closed your Chase savings or checking in the last 90 days.  90 days!  That's an incredibly liberal window.  It's basically giving a massive green light to churners.  You can open, get the bonus, close in 6 months, wait 90 days, and do it all again year after year -- and many people do just that.

Contrast that, as I mentioned earlier, with the fine print Discover includes, which specifies that you can only get the bonus once in your life.  Chase could write their offer that way, but they don't, because for some reason they judge that they get something out of having people churn.  They may be right -- I have three Chase credit cards and no Discover cards. 

PS.  Even if Chase didn't have a special relationship to EWS, I don't think they'd need it to identify churners of their deposit accounts.  It's easy for Chase to create an internal database of all its past customers and what accounts they have opened and closed.  I could set that up for them in MS Access it's so easy!  I'd be surprised if they don't have something like that.  But for some reason they don't use it to prevent churning of bank accounts or cards.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.