tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opened a NFCU Savings Account how do I deposit money

@Justagirl73 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Justagirl73 wrote:

NFCU deposits are a pita imo! 

I use mobile deposits where I write myself a check, take pic and deposit. 

The OP CAN'T use mobile deposits during the first 30 days of membership.

Then see my previous statement....PITA. *within the first 30 days at least" 

Got it!

Message 11 of 16
2GreenThumbs
Frequent Contributor

I clicked on this thread because the title was so interesting to me.  I live in a navy town and you don't have to travel very far to find an NFCU branch, so I forgot that it's just not everywhere and that MyFico members stretch far and wide.  The result of my little curiosity is that I learned about some different ways to make a deposit with NFCU...for instance...I didn't know you can mail in a deposit!  I swear, I learn something new everytime I log onto these forums!

Message 12 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, NFCU is not part of the shared branch network so you cannot go to another credit union to deposit. You can take the advice of the poster below you (above me) but you may also send deposits (no cash) through the mail using a deposit slip:

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/publications/depositSubVoucher.pdf

Your monthly statement will also have a deposit slip attached (even if you have paperless statements-simply view it online and print out the deposit slip, fill it out and mail it to Virginia). 

Not true, I can make deposits at my DCU bank locations ATM and deposit money in my NFCU account.

I actually think you both might be right... Smiley Wink

Unless something has changed recently (which is always possible) NFCU doesn't participate in Shared Branching, but they do participate in the CO-OP ATM network.  My understanding is that you can't do a transaction inside a shared branch, but you can make deposits at their ATMs; again, I've not checked up on this in a while so my info might be outdated.

Also notable, @baller4life shared with me last year that NFCU will put a five-day hold on all deposits made at non-NFCU ATMS, even for cash, so this might not be the perfect option for everybody (again, assuming it hasn't changed).  Here's a link to the thread from last year:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/NFCU-and-CO-OP-ATM-Deposits/td-p/4477832

If this info it outdated please don't hesitate to speak up... this is one of those times I would love to be mistaken since it would mean I have more options than I'm aware of!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, NFCU is not part of the shared branch network so you cannot go to another credit union to deposit. You can take the advice of the poster below you (above me) but you may also send deposits (no cash) through the mail using a deposit slip:

Your monthly statement will also have a deposit slip attached (even if you have paperless statements-simply view it online and print out the deposit slip, fill it out and mail it to Virginia). 

Not true, I can make deposits at my DCU bank locations ATM and deposit money in my NFCU account.

Correct. Assuming the OP does not yet have their ATM or debit card (since they just opened the account a few days ago); however, they cannot simply walk into DCU and deposit funds through shared branch banking with a DCU teller. NFCU (and PenFed for that matter) do have shared ATM's, but do not have shared branch banking with live, human tellers. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct. Assuming the OP does not yet have their ATM or debit card (since they just opened the account a few days ago); however, they cannot simply walk into DCU and deposit funds through shared branch banking with a DCU teller. NFCU (and PenFed for that matter) do have shared ATM's, but do not have shared branch banking with live, human tellers. 

You are also correct.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the useful information everyone. I see there is a credit union less than a mile from my house that accepts deposits for NFCU.  There is a branch about 15 minutes from my work and there is one near my mom's house.  So in an emergency I could get to a branch.  But the whole things seems too inconvienent to use for my main checking.  I changed my work direct deposit to put 100 dollars a check into the account.  I will wait until the 30 days to deposit more.  

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.