Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other Savings Accounts with 7.52% APY?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Other Savings Accounts with 7.52% APY?

The local CU (Obee) offers a 7.52% APY savings account. Catch is, it's only for the first $500 in the account. I've got a silly dream of finding more of these offers and establishing a bunch of small savings accounts across the country. Anyone know of organizations that'll help me achieve my dream?

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

Re: Other Savings Accounts with 7.52% APY?

That's a nice rate, the closest thing I know of that's similar is DCU which has an APY of 3.04% on the first $500 in the primary savings account.

Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DantGwyrdd wrote:

That's a nice rate, the closest thing I know of that's similar is DCU which has an APY of 3.04% on the first $500 in the primary savings account.

Nice! Thanks for the tip. I'll update this thread as I find more options - Need to max out my IRA contribution for the this year before I worry about anything else, so I've got a bit of time to research.

Message 3 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The local CU (Obee) offers a 7.52% APY savings account. Catch is, it's only for the first $500 in the account. I've got a silly dream of finding more of these offers and establishing a bunch of small savings accounts across the country. Anyone know of organizations that'll help me achieve my dream?

I know of another CU that you qualify for by living in WA that has a 'First5' account with a higher rate for the first $500 would be Spokane Teachers, or STCU - their rate is 5% for that first $500, but unlike Obee you don't have to contend with direct deposit requirements to qualify

Good luck in your search!

Message 4 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know of another CU that you qualify for by living in WA that has a 'First5' account with a higher rate for the first $500 would be Spokane Teachers, or STCU - their rate is 5% for that first $500, but unlike Obee you don't have to contend with direct deposit requirements to qualify

Awesome! That's at the top of my list, now. Thanks for the tip!

So, we've got:

Obee: 7.52% 

STCU: 5.09%

DCU: 3.04%

If I budget carefully I should be able to match my IRA contribution this year - Just need to find 8 more CUs... 

Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Also in WA is BECU, which is 4% on the first $500 in both savings and checking.

Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rewards Checking accounts can give decent returns if you don't mind jumping through a few hoops. I'm with Lake Michigan Credit Union for their Max Checking account. 3% APY on up to $15,000 as long as you have a direct deposit, make at least 10 monthly purchases on the debit card associated with the account (for any amount), choose electronic statements, and log in to online banking 4 times a month.

Consumers Credit Union has a variable APY up to 4.69% on up to $20,000 based on monthly debit card charging (you need to spend $1000/mo on the debit card to qualify for the best rate).

Also, getting a secured credit card from Netspend gives you access to a savings account where they'll give 5% APY on up to $5000, as long as you use the card periodically.

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Netspend has a secured credit card? I thought they were a prepaid debit card.

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Those terms seem like the same thing to me. 

Message 9 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Those terms seem like the same thing to me. 

They aren't.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.