Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Bk Friendly?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Bk Friendly?

I've been thinking of joining a credit union and the two I see most on these forums are PenFed and NFCU. I'm not eligible to join NFCU but I can join PenFed by becoming a member of one of their non-profits. 

Are they BK friendly? I tried to find a former post about it and I found one but it was kind of old. Anyone with a BK tried recently to join PenFed? My BK was discharged in January of last year. 

Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: PenFed Bk Friendly?

Join you can do.

Might be to soon for credit card but there have been some posts lately of people successfully recon with BK to get credit cards.

Message 2 of 23
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Join you can do.

Might be to soon for credit card but there have been some posts lately of people successfully recon with BK to get credit cards.

+1

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine falls off next spring, so I'm gardening till then and knocking the doors off PenFed with a clean file and 740! Smiley Happy

I wish you much success with them!
Message 4 of 23
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

BK13 here...3 years old this past March...app'd for membership and CC in January.  Both approved, Promise Visa SL 8.5k.  I'll add that I had already established several postiive tradelines...a few well over $5k.  At the time of app, all cards with the exception of CareCredit were reporting $0 balance.  CareCredit was the only card reporting with a $247 balance just for the sake of scoring.   Only 1 inquiry on EQ at time of app.   Didn't have to recon...instant approval without having to submit any supporting docs. 

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BK13 was DC in 12/15. Got a car loan w them as a second signer later that month. Applied for their Visa on 4-1 and was approved w a nice limit. 

All scores low 700s tho, including EQ which they pull. Had about 30K in avail credit w low util, decent income. 

Love them. 

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great info, congrats! What was your EQ?
BK 3 yrs past discharge, so not showing on reports?
Message 7 of 23
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Great info, congrats! What was your EQ?
BK 3 yrs past discharge, so not showing on reports?

According to them and their NextGen scoring my EQ was 691...and no, my BK hadn't fallen off EQ...as a matter of fact my BK is still showing on EQ as of now.  

Message 8 of 23
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

It's never really just about one factor.  As pointed out above people have been approved with a BK but it sounds like the rest of their profile was relatively strong despite that.  CS850 states that scores were in the low 700's.  No idea what loquat's FICO 8's were at time of application but signature indicates current scores which look good and an EQ NextGen of 691 is good.   With a BK and scores in the mid 600's it's probably going to be difficult but that's just a guess.  However, the only way to find out for certain is to apply and see.  PenFed doesn't use FICO 8's -- it uses an EQ FICO NextGen.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

So EQ maybe low 700's possible with bk showing, YMMV? Great to know. Thanks!
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.