Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Membership Requirments

tag
huzchris
Valued Member

PenFed Membership Requirments

Just wondering if there were any other requirments, credit wise that could keep me out of joining up with them? I'm a member of Navy League, Step-Son is an active member of the Navy so I think we are good there. Just wondering if its worth a HP to app with them...Thanks for any insight

Starting Score: 486
Current Score: 775
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

|| NFCU CashRewards $19K || Amazon Prime $11K || PenFed PowerCash Rewards $17.5K || Citi Costco $8.1K || Discover Chrome $8K || AmEx BlueCashPreferred $5K || Citi Rewards+ $2.3K || Apple $2K || AmEx Green || CAL Ranch $13.1K || Sportsman's Guide $4K || Fingerhut $1.6K ||
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Membership Requirments

fyi,

https://www.penfed.org/

Step 1. Eligibility:

Join via your military affiliation, employment, association membership or volunteerism.

* or a relative or housemate of someone who is eligible.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Data Share

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Pentagon-Federal-Credit-Union-Data-Share/td...

Message 2 of 8
huzchris
Valued Member

Thank You...Just pulled the trigger! I'm in so far, we will see how it goes the next few days if I get the boot

Starting Score: 486
Current Score: 775
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

|| NFCU CashRewards $19K || Amazon Prime $11K || PenFed PowerCash Rewards $17.5K || Citi Costco $8.1K || Discover Chrome $8K || AmEx BlueCashPreferred $5K || Citi Rewards+ $2.3K || Apple $2K || AmEx Green || CAL Ranch $13.1K || Sportsman's Guide $4K || Fingerhut $1.6K ||
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you find yourself in a Rebuilding process, consider applying for the Promise card as it is their entry level cc.

Last July I applied, was denied for a Bk, reconned, and was approved.

Since then I have added the Defender card, and received a CLI's on both.  Less than one year, two cards, and an increase on both.  All at the cost of only Two HP's for everything.

And, they actively stated to me they want my business when I need a new vehicle in the next 18 months.

They are a wonderful credit union.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you find yourself in a Rebuilding process, consider applying for the Promise card as it is their entry level cc.

Last July I applied, was denied for a Bk, reconned, and was approved.

Since then I have added the Defender card, and received a CLI's on both.  Less than one year, two cards, and an increase on both.  All at the cost of only Two HP's for everything.

And, they actively stated to me they want my business when I need a new vehicle in the next 18 months.

They are a wonderful credit union.

I've had a relationship with Penfed ever since my parents opened my share account there for me many and many a year ago when I was in high school, and I've never been sorry. I actually have my current used-car loan with them - I had some trepidation about applying because I'm a rebuilder myself with a 2014 Chap 7 BK on my record - but was approved at once when I went to my nearest branch to apply in person, 3.99% for 60 months. I'd like to get a Visa this fall and Penfed has been high on my list as a potential issuer, but I wasn't sure whether I should go for Power Cash or Promise. From what you say, it sounds like my chances would be best with Promise, and my EQ NextGen 2 score, which is what Penfed uses, is the best one I currently have, which will help.

Message 5 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Just an FYI for anyone considering joining Penfed, Navy League membership qualifies - any chapter, not just San Diego.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. What a great CU to be in with. Enjoy. 

Message 7 of 8
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Check out the link that Sebastian listed.  Has a lot of great information.

Also, you can use the HP for your membership application in order to apply for the other products with PenFed if you were considering applying for a credit card, automobile loan, line of credit, etc.

Welcome to PenFed.  They will grow nicely.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.