Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed hard inquiry to open savings acct

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Penfed hard inquiry to open savings acct

wrote:

I opened an account with penfed on jan. 20, 2018 with the intention of opening a credit card in a couple of weeks when my credit report updated to show my newly reduced credit utilization. I was shocked to learn that they use hard inquiries instead of soft inquiries like the other institutions i used in the past.

Now after a few days I see the inquiry on my credit report and i receive a phone call from penfed who wonders why i left negative feedback on their survey they asked me to fill out when i opened my savings account with them.

I explain that i expect a soft inquiry when i consented to a credit pull, not a hard pull. She said that is just how they choose to do business and she apologises for the lack of clarity in the situation.

I explain that i intend to apply for the no fees platinum visa and might as well use the credit pull to apply. Then she tells me that their system should use the same report to apply for the card, but she couldnt promise that it wouldnt pull another report even though it should use the same report for 30 days.

This pisses me off. It costs me a pull to sign up, then i might have another pull to apply for the card. Their policies are not consistent with an institution that holds themselves accountable.

Did i sign up for a bad company and should i look for other credit cards?

No you signed up with a great credit union.

If you want the credit card you should go ahead and apply for it; they will probably use the same hard pull.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

I opened an account with penfed on jan. 20, 2018 with the intention of opening a credit card in a couple of weeks when my credit report updated to show my newly reduced credit utilization. I was shocked to learn that they use hard inquiries instead of soft inquiries like the other institutions i used in the past.

Now after a few days I see the inquiry on my credit report and i receive a phone call from penfed who wonders why i left negative feedback on their survey they asked me to fill out when i opened my savings account with them.

I explain that i expect a soft inquiry when i consented to a credit pull, not a hard pull. She said that is just how they choose to do business and she apologises for the lack of clarity in the situation.

I explain that i intend to apply for the no fees platinum visa and might as well use the credit pull to apply. Then she tells me that their system should use the same report to apply for the card, but she couldnt promise that it wouldnt pull another report even though it should use the same report for 30 days.

This pisses me off. It costs me a pull to sign up, then i might have another pull to apply for the card. Their policies are not consistent with an institution that holds themselves accountable.

Did i sign up for a bad company and should i look for other credit cards?

No you signed up with a great credit union.

If you want the credit card you should go ahead and apply for it; they will probably use the same hard pull.

To be honest I just closed out my membership with them after an on and off relationship since August. I wouldn't say "great" credit union. During the time period I've opened and closed a checking account twice. 

Why? Because they're an overrated credit union. Good customer service? Yes. Good services? No. Their services are some of the worst in the industry. 

Cons of Penfed

• No check deposits for three months. 
  • $50 ACH limit (with them) for six months. 
  • Online bill payments are sent by check for an unknown period of time for an unknown reason, instead of electronically. 
  • Debit card transactions don't show up immediately. 
  • No touch ID on the mobile app. 
  • Idiotic procedures to set up direct deposit with them. 
  • Online banking system that undergoes maintenance more often than any other bank I've ever used. 
  • Only the first box of checks are free. 
  • Monthly maintenance fee on checking account if requirements aren't met, unlike most other CU's. 
  • Points on credit cards are worth less than 1 cent each. 
  • Purchase notifications don't exist unless you use a mobile wallet. 
  • Shared branches don't exist. 

... It's almost as if the people running the show over there have never used another financial institution in their life other than Penfed to say, "gee, some of our policies are rather stupid and our technology stinks, maybe we should upgrade."  Their senior "executives" should take some pointers from USAA. 

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. When I opened my NFCU checking and savings accounts, there was only a soft pull and an inquiry on early warning systems. I signed up this past June 2018.

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the OP. Even after reading multiple reviews, there's mixed data on whether signing up is a HP or SP. your best bet is to call and ask a CSR. then call again and again and see if each CSR's response is consistent.

I called penfed today and asked about the signup process and if it was a hard or soft pull. the CSR assured me multiple times that opening up a share savings only results in a SP. after getting multiple confirmations, i decided to open a savings account and join. a few minutes later, i had to call back in because some of my account info was incorrect in my online account. the new CSR confirmed there was a hard pull (equifax)! i called equifax and they also confirmed a HP. Smiley Surprised

since i did not authorize a hard inquiry on my credit report, i am disputing this info both with equifax and with penfed. i believe they record their conversations, so they should be able to listen in and hear the CSR reassure me at least 7x that my application would only be a SP. if i had known it was a HP, then i wouldnt have applied.

FYI - penfed says use your hard pull for 90 days, but there's no guarantee there won't be another HP. they recommend applying for the products you need within a few days of each other to make sure it's only 1 HP.

OP - i disagree with you about other companies not doing HPs. when applying for an apartment (luxury rental), they performed a background check and performed a HP on my credit report. also, when i signed up for cable (verizon FIOS), they also performed a HP (even after assuring me they wouldn't do a HP). when i used comcast, i'm not sure if they did a HP... it was a long time ago and i wasn't monitoring my credit reports back then.

IME not all CUs do a HP. i just joined NFCU a couple months ago. i did recon for months; some DPs suggest a HP, others only a SP. when i called and spoke to multiple CSRs, i received diff info. some say HP, others say SP to join NFCU. and they said applying for products results in additional HPs, even on the same day. so joining the CU would be a HP, applying for a CC another HP, etc. they wouldn't be combined. HOWEVER, i joined NFCU and opened checking and savings accounts with only a SP on equifax, but a hard inquiry on early warning systems.

I've also joined alliant CU, stanford CU, star one CU, elements FCU, and NFCU within the past year and NONE of them did a HP. penfed is the only CU i've joined that has done a HP just to join (and open a share savings account).

advice based on my experience: mixed DPs from people can be confusing, but give an overall idea of whether a HP/SP will be performed. don't trust what the CSRs tell you. sometimes they're idiots. ask multiple CSRs and see if they give consistent answers. apply and always expect the worst, but hope for the best.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.