Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About C.C Applying After Personal Loan Approval

tag
jbh
Established Contributor

Question About C.C Applying After Personal Loan Approval

(Mods, my apology if this belongs in general credit forum. Not sure how to delete/move it.)

Hi,

I received a personal loan approval from Discover today. I have no real interest in applying for anything else other than their I.T card, due to rewards that start 10/1/2017 (Amazon/Target 5%). I called the loan dept back asking if they prefer to have new customers hold off on such applications, even if the app is for a product in their company, just in case they are strict/avoid Adverse action/etc.

They were not really sure, TBH, so I wondered, in your opinion, is it wise to hold off on such things, even if it's for a product with the same company, or maybe I am thinking too much? Perhaps there is a dept I should ask for/look for to call to answer that q? OR would only the C.C dept be able to answer that? I just figured as a courtesy I should ask the loan dept before just going out and applying for that I.T card and risk them not approving of such a thing.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question About C.C Applying After Personal Loan Approval

Unless your scores /report are really borderline, I don't think I'd worry about it at all. I've gotten multiple credit products from the same lender on one day before. (NFCU Cash Rewards and CLOC.)

Personal loans are typically harder to get than CCs in my opinion. My hunch is that if they were ready to approve that for you, the CC shouldn't be an issue. 

You never know though. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason!

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless your scores /report are really borderline, I don't think I'd worry about it at all. I've gotten multiple credit products from the same lender on one day before. (NFCU Cash Rewards and CLOC.)

Personal loans are typically harder to get than CCs in my opinion. My hunch is that if they were ready to approve that for you, the CC shouldn't be an issue. 

You never know though. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason!

+1

I agree with SteelerNYC. Just remember with credit every thing is ymmv. If you decide to app for the IT, Good luck!Smiley Happy If not, that's fine too. In the end you have to be comfortable with the decisions you make. 

Message 3 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@jbh wrote:

(Mods, my apology if this belongs in general credit forum. Not sure how to delete/move it.)

Hi,

I received a personal loan approval from Discover today. I have no real interest in applying for anything else other than their I.T card, due to rewards that start 10/1/2017 (Amazon/Target 5%). I called the loan dept back asking if they prefer to have new customers hold off on such applications, even if the app is for a product in their company, just in case they are strict/avoid Adverse action/etc.

They were not really sure, TBH, so I wondered, in your opinion, is it wise to hold off on such things, even if it's for a product with the same company, or maybe I am thinking too much? Perhaps there is a dept I should ask for/look for to call to answer that q? OR would only the C.C dept be able to answer that? I just figured as a courtesy I should ask the loan dept before just going out and applying for that I.T card and risk them not approving of such a thing.

Thank you.

You should just apply for the product you want.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 5
jbh
Established Contributor

Thank you, guys. I have a plan to apply for one rewards card now and one within the next 6 months. I had a q re: the impact this loan will have and added it to a more appropriate sub forum (fico scoring). I appreicate your time.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.