cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: If I'm a member of NFCU can I also join USAA and PenFed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: If I'm a member of NFCU can I also join USAA and PenFed?

I was eligible to join NFCU because My dad and grandfather (Lt.Col Retired)were in the UASF, does that make me eligible for USAA and PenFed?

Thanks guys!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question: If I'm a member of NFCU can I also join USAA and PenFed?

@DodgeTech,

Yes, you should be able to.  I am not a member of USAA but I join Penfed by joining just an association.  So you shouldn't have any problem.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was eligible to join NFCU because My dad and grandfather (Lt.Col Retired)were in the UASF, does that make me eligible for USAA and PenFed?

Thanks guys!

Yes and no.

PenFed - that doesn't meet the criteria for membership but anyone can join by donating a small amount of money to one of two organizations.  Very easy to do.

USAA - much more restrictive. Either you or your spouse has to be or served in the military or your parent or spouse has to be a USAA member 

Message 3 of 9
baller4life
Super Contributor

Yes USAA you have join thru your father or grandfather. They have to join first then sponsor you.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick responses!!!!

So the only thing that would be an issue with USAA would be to find of if my dad or grandfather had USAA, but they have passed away so how would I find out?  Call them?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the quick responses!!!!

So the only thing that would be an issue with USAA would be to find of if my dad or grandfather had USAA, but they have passed away so how would I find out?  Call them?

It's going to be difficult to get in that way for USAA.  I'm pretty sure it has to be current membership but give them a call.  You'll need any bio info on them.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not thinking I will be able to join but I will give them a call in the morn..

Thanks again guys I will post an update in the morn.

Message 7 of 9
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not thinking I will be able to join but I will give them a call in the morn..

Thanks again guys I will post an update in the morn.

DodgeTech,  BTW I appreciate your eagerness to join USAA but I'm a member they are extremely tight/conservative.  NFCU is by far the better choice to build longterm relationship with for credit needs IMHO.  But as they say - YMMV.  Good luck, BTN

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 8 of 9
AintYouADaisy
New Contributor

Hi DodgeTech,

I am a member and former employee of USAA.  While I did not work in Membership Services I can tell you, in agreement with some others comments on here, that they are much tighter and more conservative than NFCU may be.  They're also an excellent company to have a relationship with, and have some of the best rates and products available.  If your father and/or grandfather were members, then you should be eligible as well.  You can also check your eligibility on their website.  If they were not, you may not be able to join.

One word of caution about them though (and I don't mean to imply you'd do this but this is read by many, and this may apply to some):

Much like AMEX, if you burn USAA, that effectively kills the relationship.  Depending on how you burn them, it may be permanent.  Treat them well and they will return the love.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.