Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Roth IRA

tag
m3rge
Regular Contributor

Question about Roth IRA

Hello everyone!

Yesterday i opened a Roth IRA with 1,000 in my local bank branch for 3 years at 1.00%. I know there is a maximum contribution of 5,000 per year but I would like to know how I do those contributions because I tried to do money transfer from my checking account to the Roth IRA and i was unable to.

Maybe I'm a little bit confused on this and I need some light on how is the best way to work it out...

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Question about Roth IRA

Have you tried calling the bank? My account is not with my bank, so do ach transfers,
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 9
m3rge
Regular Contributor

Yes I tried calling the bank but the division is closed until Tuesday since it's President's Day via phone.

I will go to the local branch tomorrow.
Message 3 of 9
m3rge
Regular Contributor

In theory the purpose of a Roth IRA is to contribute a maximum of 5k a year which I'm clear if not mistaken but what really get me confuse is how can I contribute to the Roth IRA if I cannot make transfer within the same account on the same bank or if there is another mechanism to contribute or if could be possible to NOT contribute doing transfers.

Message 4 of 9
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Well is sounds like you investing in a CD through your Roth IRA.  Which, is not the smartest move financially speaking being that you are in your 20's. You cant just add more money to a CD.  The CD rate is based on the amount and is locked for a period of time and money cant be withdrawn before maturity without penalty.  At your age, in my opinion, invest in the Roth, however, invest in a good index fund with a low fee.  Over the course of your lifetime, your ending balance will not grow much at all when investing in CD's - at least not while interest rates are ~1%.  

You can still max out your Roth every year, but you would need to either open another CD or attach a brokerage account to your Roth. If you do the latter, then you can do ACH transfers and invest the money as you see fit.  I would suggest you do research on investing strategies based on your risk tolerance, however, if you dont want to do that right now, a good bet is the index funds or a target date fund.

Message 5 of 9
Lyythine
Established Contributor

I also just realized that you are not the same poster as the one asking for Roth IRA advice, so I dont know how old you are.  That being said, unless you are near retirement, a CD still isnt the best investment option.

Message 6 of 9
nightglider
Regular Contributor

I don't know if this will make a difference to you, but the current maximum contribution is $5,500 per year, not $5k.

Message 7 of 9
HiLine
Blogger

You should set up transfer from the brokerage firm's website. Here's how I do it with my Fidelity Roth IRA:

Fidelity fund transfer page 1.pngFidelity fund transfer page 2.pngFidelity fund transfer page 3.pngFidelity fund transfer page 4.pngFidelity fund transfer page 5.png

Then fill the information in. Once done, you can then initiate a transfer from the bank to the Roth IRA (from the second picture above - select the bank account from the drop-down list).

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Lyythine is right, you cannot add money to a CD (typically). When you take out a CD it is for a set amount, with a set rate, over a set period of time. 3 years for 1% is also really low. Here in Chicago you can get 1% for around 16-20 months. That being said unless you are close to retirement I would not be looking at a CD as an investment vehicle. I would open an IRA with a discount online broker like Sharebuilder, Fidelity, TD, etc and put your money in a diverse ETF - preferrably one that tracks an index until you have more to invest. I would also look at how much the penalty is to break this CD (probably 6-12 months interest which is under $10) and transfer these funds to that new IRA.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.