Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Termination Fees for Cellphones

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Termination Fees for Cellphones

I have three family members on a plan I set up for them (my father and two brothers).  I'm a little tight on money lately and I've decided after three years they need to pay for their own plan and get off their feet.  My question is, if I pay the early cancellation fees on each line does it 1) report negatively on my credit report, 2) does that prevent me from ever getting a phone with that carrier in future and 3) one of the lines is a plan where you pay off the phone each month and there are four payments left, if I pay off that phone does it also have a contract cancellation fee since I paid for the phone myself?

I put them all on Verizon.  I am with At&t for my personal phone.

thank you

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about Termination Fees for Cellphones

Not one bit, the cell phone companies want their ETFs, it becomes a problem when you don't pay them and the account is delinquent. If you cancel early and pay the ETFs, you'll be in good standing
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Termination Fees for Cellphones

The other thing you may want to look at is an "Assumption of Liability," as Verizon calls it. If your family members would like to keep their phones and their phone numbers AND remain with Verizon, you can authorize them to "assume" their equipment, mobile number, and contract as is, without paying a dime. They will then just sign up for the plan of their choice and continue the remainder of the contract as if nothing happened, except it will be under their name.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.