Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RBFCU - 5 Max Chexsystems to join

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: RBFCU - 5 Max Chexsystems to join

OP I was able to get a mgr's approval to join with 7 inqs. I know you have 12 but hey it's worth a try. You've already taken the hp.
Message 11 of 27
gibeon
Established Contributor

Baller!!! Thanks! That's super interesting to know!

Did you call a branch directly or call the main number and ask for a manager? Or did you go in person?

I'm not living in Texas now, but my mother still does and still banks with them, which is why I want to get back in, for cosigning and codepositing authority.
23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 12 of 27
baller4life
Super Contributor

I called 512-833-3300 x6950 and asked for a mgr. She took my info and said she would need to get approval from upper mgmt. She called me back later that day to say I could join.
Message 13 of 27
gibeon
Established Contributor

Thank you! I will give it a try. If it doesn't work, I will have my mother join NFCU - although she's been with RBFCU for 40 years, so that might be difficult.

I actually had an account there for about 20 years myself and never had an overdraft or anything, so this is particularly frustrating.
Message 14 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@gibeon wrote:
Thank you! I will give it a try. If it doesn't work, I will have my mother join NFCU - although she's been with RBFCU for 40 years, so that might be difficult.

I actually had an account there for about 20 years myself and never had an overdraft or anything, so this is particularly frustrating.

Did you have any luck with the manager?

This whole thing with ChexSystems inquiries being a 'thing' really has me scratching my head.  Logically you would think they would have no problem with a new customer if there was no negative info on the report.

I know there are some fraud risks, but compared to a credit account the risks of simply granting a membership (and the requisite savings/share account) would seem to be minimal, especially if there was nothing negative on the Chex report and the FICO was clean. 

Message 15 of 27
gibeon
Established Contributor

UncleB

I have been so busy at work that I haven't had a peaceful moment to call and talk to them. I am probably going to do so this Friday when things have calmed down.

I did have a small charge on my Chex earlier this year that I only found out about when I was denied a bank account on another application. It was something like $75 for an account that I thought I had closed, so when the auto deposits stopped, they started charging me fees and wasn't particularly good about opening my mail.

I got that cleared up with the bank, and I specifically asked RBFCU if it was a problem and they said no, because they saw the annotation on Chex that was "paid" - I still have to email an EO or someone about getting it removed.

Message 16 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@gibeon wrote:
UncleB

I have been so busy at work that I haven't had a peaceful moment to call and talk to them. I am probably going to do so this Friday when things have calmed down.

I did have a small charge on my Chex earlier this year that I only found out about when I was denied a bank account on another application. It was something like $75 for an account that I thought I had closed, so when the auto deposits stopped, they started charging me fees and wasn't particularly good about opening my mail.

I got that cleared up with the bank, and I specifically asked RBFCU if it was a problem and they said no, because they saw the annotation on Chex that was "paid" - I still have to email an EO or someone about getting it removed.

Gotcha... that's the worst when an account you think is closed keeps incurring fees.  It happened to a relative a while back, and it turned him off to banks for quite a long time.  It's good to know RBFCU still does business the 'old way' when it comes to Chex reports... that is, as long as any old issues are resolved they're OK.

Good luck on Friday!  Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few people on the thread have expressed surprise that Chexsystems inquiries by themselves (no negative information) would be a red flag to some banks.  They have asked if anyone knows why banks might have policies along this line. 

There are two groups of people that tend to be costly for savings and checking instiutions to get involved with.  One is identity thieves, money launderers, and other criminals.  They often open lots of bank accounts, especially when they find someone's identity (SSN and DOB and Name give you a lot).  Another group are people who know how to scour the internet for the latest sign up bonuses.  These people cost the bank a lot of money in setting up the accounts, and then once the cash bonus is received, which was intended to get them to stay, they leave.  I fall into this second category,  Both groups of people share a common trait: a Chexsystem report that shows applications to open several bank accounts a year.

Whether you a are a criminal or savvy customer, you appear to some banks be somebody who is is going to take the money and run.  They have inquiry cutoffs to control that risk, since stable noncriminal customers often have under three such inquiries in  a multi-year period.

Message 18 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

A few people on the thread have expressed surprise that Chexsystems inquiries by themselves (no negative information) would be a red flag to some banks.  They have asked if anyone knows why banks might have policies along this line. 

There are two groups of people that tend to be costly for savings and checking instiutions to get involved with.  One is identity thieves, money launderers, and other criminals.  They often open lots of bank accounts, especially when they find someone's identity (SSN and DOB and Name give you a lot).  Another group are people who know how to scour the internet for the latest sign up bonuses.  These people cost the bank a lot of money in setting up the accounts, and then once the cash bonus is received, which was intended to get them to stay, they leave.  I fall into this second category,  Both groups of people share a common trait: a Chexsystem report that shows applications to open several bank accounts a year.

Whether you a are a criminal or savvy customer, you appear to some banks be somebody who is is going to take the money and run.  They have inquiry cutoffs to control that risk, since stable noncriminal customers often have under three such inquiries in  a multi-year period.

I had never thought about the possibility of churning checking accounts for a bonus (probably because I've never gotten more than a 'handshake' after opening my own in the past)... but it makes perfect sense.  Just like you say, the point of the bonus is to attract new long-term customers - something folks that have numerous checking accounts aren't likely to be.

Yet another example of the 'wisdom of the collective' here... thanks for bringing up some excellent points!  Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 27
gibeon
Established Contributor

Ok. I had a quiet afternoon for a bit, so I called in.

It looks like I'm in for Checking and Savings! 

It took a LOT of explaining of my specific situation, and I'm not counting it good until all the documents are processed, but I'll go ahead and give it a YAY!

I guess the advice to give would be that if you have a REALLY good reason why they should recon the decision, then they can manually override. 

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.