Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renters insurance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Renters insurance

Hi guys,

I'm not sure where to post this, but here goes. 

I'm looking for a good renter's insurance. I'm not looking for the cheapest, but rather the best when it comes to paying up and servicing claims. Also need one that offers replacement value coverage. 

I have heard a lot of bad things about Nationwide. Any experience with Liberty Mutual, State Farm or others for Renter's or Home owner's insurance (where you actually had some claims that got serviced)?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Renters insurance

IMO it doesnt matter whom you go to, or hear things anyways. Like everyone has their own opinion, i think it depends on the people.

Like i have State Farm (car and renters insurance) and my renters insurance is $4 a month because i have auto insurance with them. Well i purposely chose a smaller State Farm and the people are really nice. So i dont think i will have a problem filing a claim if ever need be. So far i have not needed to.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 16
compassion101
Established Contributor

Are you planning on getting robbed?

Message 3 of 16
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Some rentals require renters insurance, cheaper for the landlord, etc. becoming much more the norm. I still carry mine, even though this property doesn't require.
Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 16
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

I've had Geico when I had them for auto and now I have Progressive since I'm with Progressive for auto, it's about $12/mo + a discount on auto as well with above minimum protection (landlord required). In either case it's actually underwritten by a third party. I had tried researching it, but, like for everything online, got very mixed reviews so I just went with wherever my auto was both times for the multipolicy discount.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Some rentals require renters insurance, cheaper for the landlord, etc. becoming much more the norm. I still carry mine, even though this property doesn't require.

The landlord insures the building and general liability. Contents of tenant's is generally the responsibility of the tenant. That is why we read many stories where a residential building burns and the tenants are not covered because they did not obtain insurance. For my various rentals, I paid generally $100 to $150 per year so it was not all that expensive.

Message 6 of 16
Callandra
Valued Contributor

My boyfriend and I have Sallie Mae renter's insurance (well kind of..it was through their website but our area did not qualify so we got linked to something similar). It's only about ~$17 a month so it's not like it breaks the bank. Our apartment is in a complex managed by a real estate agency (?) and they just started requiring it last year. It meets their requirements and it's way cheaper than the insurance they were offering (my guess is the real estate agency gets a cut). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nationwide is NOT on your side.

Honestly, I'd go with whoever you have your auto insurance with. You'll get a multi-policy discount and you obviously trust them already with a vehicle.

If you are a non-car owner... forgive my presumption and ignore my advice. Smiley Happy

I have USAA for both, but I haven't ever had a claim on Renters and my last claim on my own auto policy was over 15 years ago (was with Progressive and had no problems).

edited to correct my math - Damn, I'm getting old.

Message 8 of 16
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

I'd just do some comparison shopping and make sure you specify replacement cost, as well as limits. I've used (and had claims with) Nationwide and State Farm. No issues with either, in my experience. I shop for rates every few years to make sure wgat I'm paying is still competitive. I won't switch for a few dollars, but significant savings are a different thing.
Message 9 of 16
Bearclaw
Established Member

Are you planning on getting robbed?

Renters insurance is less about losing valuables and more about liability. Landlord deems you responsible for charges or something breaks and you're due to pay the money.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.