Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retirement strategy

tag
wa3more
Established Contributor

Re: Retirement strategy

Overall, looks pretty good.

Keep things simple and don't over think. Stick with index funds and avoid bonds. Bonds will underperform for a long time.

Message 11 of 20
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:

There are a few things I would do differently from you:

1.  I wouldn't bother contributing after tax money to the traditional IRA because there really isn't any advantage to doing it specially if you cannot do a conversion to a Roth because of maximum income limits.  Here is why:  when you finally take distribution from your traditional IRA, all your gains will be taxed as ordinary income (regardless of whether the original contributions were before or after tax).  Why is this bad?  Because if you invested the same amount into individual securities outside the IRA all the gains you take out (after 1 year) will be taxed as long-term capital gains, which I believe is much lower than ordinary income tax rate.  Investing outside the IRA also gives you more flexibility in terms of not having to pay the 10% penalty for withdrawal.

2.  I would be consulting a financial planner.   

3.  Do you already own a house or is that in the future?

^^^

Thanks for advice.

I will have to consider your advice on contributing to the Trad IRA given what you said, I suppose you are right that if I invested in a regular brokerage account it also is tax deferred until I cash out, same with Trad IRA but in a non retirement account I have more flexiblity to withdrawal; the income limitations may have neutralized any IRA advantages. I suppose one good thing about the IRA is it "forces" me not to sell or touch it (except for one time $10K max. withdrawal for buying a home, but stil lpay taxes just no penalty)

As for a home, been trying to avoid it as I do not want to stay in Cali, but roots are too many and strog here from work to family and friends so plan to make a first home purchase in 2016, mid to late 2016.

I try to put a certain amount of after tax income into tax exempt investiments such as municipal bonds. Yield might not be high but unlike bond funds, your principal is safe  Also, ROI is known if you take the bond(s) to maturity unless the bond defaults. I have had some success with individual bonds in my after tax accounts. Conversely, 401k bond funds have been a constant source of disappointment.

I am not a conservative investor but have come to realize individual bonds have some benefits.Bonds do not have the long term growth potential of stocks but can provide steady income and security of capital if held to maturity

Bond ladders (say 5 year bonds) are also worth considering as part of an investment portfolio.

An Investment Technique - Bond Ladder

Richard at a healthy age 55 has accumulated a respectable portfolio and wishes to invest $200,000 of that portfolio in Treasuries. He would like to get the higher rate associated with a five year maturity but is concerned about possibly needing some of the money sooner. One option for Richard is to ladder the bonds as follows:

After one year, Richard redeems the first $40,000 and buys a five year bond. The original two year bond is now only one year away from maturity. In fact, each year $40,000 will reach maturity. If Richard uses this $40,000 to buy a 5 year bond each year, in four years all of his bonds will be 5 year bonds. He will be getting five year rates on all of his bonds and will have $40,000 reaching maturity each year.

$40,000 buys one year bonds (Treasury Bills)

$40,000 buys two year bonds (Treasury Notes)

$40,000 buys three year bonds (Treasury Notes)

$40,000 buys four year bonds (Treasury Notes)

$40,000 buys five year bonds (Treasury Notes)

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 12 of 20
wa3more
Established Contributor

what will happen to bond investments if interest rates go up ? Is the principle still safe ?

Message 13 of 20
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@wa3more wrote:

what will happen to bond investments if interest rates go up ? Is the principle still safe ?

^^^^^

Price of bonds will drop which means your yield or rate of return on bonds held rises. Yield or rate of return of a bond = coupon rate/price of bond. So when the price of a bond rises, all else constant, yield rises. Example: Let 2 = yield, 4 = coupon rate and price of bond = 2. So we have 2 = 4/2. When price of bonds drop from 2 to 1, we have: 4 = 4/1. So the yield or return on a bond you hold goes up, better for you. Source: http://www.investinginbonds.com/learnmore.asp?catid=3&id=57

Is the principal still safe...government bonds are safer than say corporate bonds of a private company like IBM, but bondholders in the USA get paid before stockholders in case of a bankruptcy. So bond principal is "safer" relatively speaking than more riskier investments like stocks.

Message 14 of 20
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@wa3more wrote:

If you purchase fixed duration bonds and you keep the bonds until they mature, then you get yout principal + interest as specified when the bond was issued.

With bond funds value of the fund can drop below initial investment cost. Bond funds are not really "safe" investments. Generally, individual "high grade" bonds are extremely low risk and many in-state municipal bonds have an added benefit of state tax exemption

Message 15 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@wa3more wrote:

If you purchase fixed duration bonds and you keep the bonds until they mature, then you get yout principal + interest as specified when the bond was issued.

With bond funds value of the fund can drop below initial investment cost. Bond funds are not really "safe" investments. Generally, individual "high grade" bonds are extremely low risk and many in-state municipal bonds have an added benefit of state tax exemption

Yeah but IG bonds aren't where the money is at especially right now, money is still cheaper than dirt.

Money with bonds currently, have to be more speculative imo.

        
Message 16 of 20
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@wa3more wrote:

Yeah but IG bonds aren't where the money is at especially right now, money is still cheaper than dirt.

Money with bonds currently, have to be more speculative imo.

I don't disagree that there are much higher return options than bonds that have fairly low risk given current market conditions..

That being said, the point was re-allocating a portion of retirement assets toward "fixed return" bonds is a reasonable alternative to re-allocating assets to a guaranteed return pension fund - particularly if the pension does not offer inflation protection.

Message 17 of 20
wa3more
Established Contributor

i think with rates going up soon, and will continue to do so to revert to a normal level, cash will be a better bet than bonds in the next couple years maybe longer.

Message 18 of 20
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@wa3more wrote:

i think with rates going up soon, and will continue to do so to revert to a normal level, cash will be a better bet than bonds in the next couple years maybe longer.

^^^^^^^^

I was looking for places to stash cash for retirement as in what tax deferred retirement accounts am I not taking advantage of. As for how to invest, at 41 years old I put 30% in large cap, 20% in mid cap, and 50% in a mix of internal and small caps. Fairly aggressive port. mix. I am fairly young and have time to ride out market flucntuations in small and international equities. Zero in bonds and cash. Maybe at 55 when I start to ease into retirement it'll be cash/bonds.

Message 19 of 20
wa3more
Established Contributor

If I had extra cash to put somewhere, I would do it in this order :

- 3 to 6 months in a liquid savings account.

-Then any credit card debt or other debt with relatively high interest rate should be paid down. Student loans, car loans etc.

-Fund 401k up to company match.

-Then put rest in Roth IRA.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.