Did you mean: 

Roth/Trad IRA - Help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Roth/Trad IRA - Help?

@tacpoly wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, okay.  So the Traditional Roth would be designated as pre-tax only if it was taken as a deduction on your annual filing;  post-tax if it wasn't.  That's interesting.  Thanks for the clarification.  

There is a line for the IRA deduction on the 1040 and you need to file a 1086 (or some number) for post tax IRA contributions.

There is a traditional IRA where contributions can be pre-tax (as long as you are under the maximum income limit) or post-tax (with no income limit).  For both contributions, distributions of all gains are subject to income tax.  If you withdraw any part of your IRA, even your principal contributions, there will be penalties if you are less than 59.5 years of age. 

Then there is the Roth IRA where contributions are only post-tax.  Any person may contribute as long as he/she is under the maximum income limit.  The main advantage of the Roth IRA is that distributions are all tax-free (with no penalties if you meet certain criteria).  Another great advantage of a Roth IRA is that your contributions (not gains) can be withdrawn without penalties (as long as you meet the 2 year holding period). 

I suggest you do research on your own regarding various retirement contribution options and not solely rely on the information random people give out. 

Of course.  I take everything with a grain of salt.  I won't be running to any financial institutions soon saying tacpoly said so!

But your guidance makes sense, so it's a start Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 29
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

I switched over to a Roth 401K with my latest employer. Same contribution limits as with a traditional 401K. There are no withdrawl requirements on a Roth at any age and if/when you do take money out NO TAXES. Most my savings are 401k which have the downside of forced withdrawls at 70 1/2 and tax obligations. Wish I had a better mix of traditional and Roth investments

At your age and income level (relatively low tax bracket) the Roth IRA is the way to go. Why go with a traditional IRA and likely pay a higher tax rate when you reach retirement age. Roth IRAs and Roth 401ks are sweet - investments grow tax free and no tax when you cash in. Wish they were around when I was in my 20s.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 22 of 29
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Unfortunately not many employers offer the Roth 401K.
Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Roth 401k is hard to come by. I will run my 5k limit Roth IRA into the ground until Mr Perfect puts a ring on it, and since that is an unknown factor, since I qualified, I accepted and ran with the Roth IRA.

Contact a financial advisor, research, find some investments. Don't forget to assess how aggressive you want to be with those Stocks/Bond!

My credit sucks but I'll be retired by 61.
Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Roth 401k is hard to come by. I will run my 5k limit Roth IRA into the ground until Mr Perfect puts a ring on it, and since that is an unknown factor, since I qualified, I accepted and ran with the Roth IRA.

Contact a financial advisor, research, find some investments. Don't forget to assess how aggressive you want to be with those Stocks/Bond!

My credit sucks but I'll be retired by 61.

I think you should change your mentality from buyaobuyao to yaoyao, haha.  

Yeah, none of my friends or family have access to a Roth 401k either.  I'm probably going to keep funding my Simple, start a Roth IRA, and keep playing around with the stock market; bonds aren't that appealing to me.  I consider myself risky, but rationally risky.  

What happened to your credit if you don't mind me asking? Smiley Sad 

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a short answer to a complicated question. People can speculate all they want about taxes, but there's no reason to hold these assumptions with certainty. That fact is you simply don't know what your taxes will be when you retire.

A strategy to use with this is to diversify your tax exposure when it comes to retirement planning. If you have access to pre tax and after tax for 401k and IRA maybe do one pre tax and one after tax. You can allocate which strategy you're more confident will provide a tax advantage. Also, having multiple accounts doesn't eliminate the benefit of compound interest. Each account will accumulate proportionately to the sum as if they were in the same account, given your investment allocations are identical.

In conclusion, don't try to predict what the government will have tax rates at 25 years from now. It's a fruitless endeavor.
Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't it 5.5 with an additional 1k if you're over 50?

I opened a Roth ira because my 401k and pretty sure pension that was set up at work is pretaxed which means I'm going to have to pay based on my tax bracket later.

So I figure it's a good balance to have of both.. along with stocks and liquid savings.
Message 27 of 29
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

I went Roth IRA and Roth 401k because my 401k match and HSA (which are pre-tax) will cover the floor end of the tax bracket when I retire.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 28 of 29
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

One little caveat to remember for people with Roth 401Ks - Any employer

matching contributions are pre-tax money. The gains from employer contributions

are also pre-tax money. So the total balance you see reported for your Roth 401K

will not be all tax free upon withdrawal, some of it is taxable.

I still love my Roth 401k, but I remind myself its not all tax free. Smiley Sad 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.