Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDFCU Account opening

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SDFCU Account opening

I recently applied for membership with SDFCU, I've read on here that some have had trouble verifying their identity. I apped yesterday and the status just says REFERRED.

Called in today to check the status and the rep said their still reviewing it. Any one have any experience they can share on how long it took for the app to be approved? I didn't get instant approval does this mean that I'll be denied because they can't verify my identity?

Does anyone know what CB they usually pull?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: SDFCU Account opening

Hi @Anonymous, I've removed your duplicate thread from the Smorgasboard.  Please refrain from cross-posting the same thread in multiple forums (it can cause confusion).

Note that if you ever put a thread in the wrong forum by accident you can let any mod know and we can easily move it for you.  Smiley Wink

--UncleB

myFICO Moderator

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: State Department FCU Account opening

Good Choice on a Credit Union!

DrPeaceCraft wrote:

I recently applied for membership with SDFCU, I've read on here that some have had trouble verifying their identity. I apped yesterday and the status just says REFERRED.

Called in today to check the status and the rep said their still reviewing it. Any one have any experience they can share on how long it took for the app to be approved? I didn't get instant approval does this mean that I'll be denied because they can't verify my identity?

Does anyone know what CB they usually pull?

State Department is a Great Credit Union.

However, just because people have smart phones and can purchase an item on line, and have it delivered 2 days overnight from a location on the Pacific coast to a location on the Atlantic coast, does not mean that everything else in life will also happen in that manner.

My experiences with State Department have been phenomenal, without complaint.

The do not move at the speed of light, nor are they set up to operate 24 hours a day on weekends to open and approve credit cards.  They are simply people who go to work Monday - Friday, and process things for their members.

Just because you have not received immediate approval, does not infer a negative.

When I initially got  my credit card, I had them fed ex it overnight to me for immediate use.

Simply remember that they are a people oriented credit union, not a retail kiosk you expect to immediately process your transactions and provide immediate gratification.

Congratulations on your excellent choice of a credit union.

Best Wishes!!!!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sebastian503 

The reason for my initial post was because I was concerned that they might have had trouble verifying my identity not because I expected an immediate approval.

I'm by no means an impatient person, and I do realize that things take time however several people have experienced instant approval for MEMBERSHIP not credit cards which is what I applied for. Some who didn't ran into trouble because SDFCU could not verify their identity. 

I'm posting for people who can tell me what their experience was when they first opened a membership account with the credit union.

Thank you for your reply but it's not the response I needed.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sebastian503 

The reason for my initial post was because I was concerned that they might have had trouble verifying my identity not because I expected an immediate approval.

I'm by no means an impatient person, and I do realize that things take time however several people have experienced instant approval for MEMBERSHIP not credit cards which is what I applied for. Some who didn't ran into trouble because SDFCU could not verify their identity. 

I'm posting for people who can tell me what their experience was when they first opened a membership account with the credit union.

Thank you for your reply but it's not the response I needed.

I don't recall the specifics surrounding my State Department application, other than approval.

However, I was totally prepared having a CORRECT address on my credit reports which matched my address of application.

My Driver's license & utility bills all reflected the address on the credit agencies & my application.

Any time there is a discrepancy, even the slightest, will DELAY an application, to include simple Membership.

* Keep in mind, the audience of this post isn't specifically focused on YOU, rather those who choose to read it now, and in the future.

On a side note, there are endless posts on this site COMPLAINING about application "challenges" for either membership applications or for credit.

* what these individuals FAIL to disclose, is that it is totally an "unforced ERROR" on their part.

Only later when you continue reading their subsequent posts can one discover when they disclose that it was their data was not accurate or matching.

Yet, they will rail endlessly at either the bank or credit union and never acknowledge any personal responsibility.

*  I have a favorite poster on this site who continues to BLAME them (banks & credit unions) while they fail to see that they had an out of state driver's license of over one year for photo ID, and also submited a utility bill that is considered NOT recent, yet it is not their fault.

Best Wishes!

Message 5 of 9
labelexpired
Established Member

Does anyone know if you need to have an open checking account with SDFCU in order to open a credit account?
Cap One $1000
Cap One Quicksilver $500
Best Buy Visa Citi $2000
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@labelexpired wrote:
Does anyone know if you need to have an open checking account with SDFCU in order to open a credit account?

I believe like most CUs you are required to open a share savings at some point. 

Message 7 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

SDFCU is a great choice for a credit union. I don't remember them pulling my credit for membership, but I remember the pul TU I think for my credit card app. 

It took me two weeks to get an answer for my credit card. I only had to provide proof of income the first time. They are my second lowest APR.

They maybe small and not have the staffing like the boys, like NFCU and Penfed, but they are a great member driven CU.

Guyatthebeach

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with @Guyatthebeach SDFCU is a good CU. I've been a member for about a year and the two times I've had to call CS both agents were very helpful. I don't have any credit products with them but they did send me a preapproved loan check in June. 

Membership was a HP. They pulled Experian for me. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.