Did you mean: 

Samsung Pay

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Samsung Pay

@DantGwyrdd wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I'm out of luck at gas stations... my preferred card for gas is my Sam's Club MasterCard (for the 5% cash back), but Sam's isn't compatible with Samsung Pay yet.  Smiley Sad

I would love the extra protection S. Pay offers, but I'm not willing to give up my 5%! 

I plan to rearrange my S. Pay cards soon (I'm at the max of 10) and when I do I'll try again to add Sam's Club, perhaps it will work now.

I just got the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus so I can have 5% back at gas stations and it's compatible with Samsung Pay as well Smiley Happy Granted, these cards usually don't count purchases at grocery store & similar gas stations as gas purchases so there's that (I don't have a Sam's that near so I don't buy gas there ever, but the Walmart gas station is classified as 'General Merchandise'). I'm at 9 cards in my Samsung Pay wallet now and waiting for Limitless to become available in WV Smiley Tongue

I hear ya... saving a spot for the Limitless is definitely a must!  Smiley Happy

So far I've been lucky with Sam's Club MasterCard and Kroger... the fine-print states that Kroger fuel islands shouldn't be getting the 5%, but it always has for me (my local Sam's Club doesn't sell gas).  I can vouch that the same isn't true for Amex... using my BCP at Kroger for gas works exactly as advertised (that is, it doesn't 'count' as a gas station).  Smiley Frustrated

For the moment I'm using Discover at restaurants anyway (5% category this quarter) so not having Sam's Club on S. Pay isn't really a problem right now; I'm only using Sam's for gas anyway.

Message 31 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

There are a couple of minor updates with my ongoing experiment with Samsung Pay.  Smiley Happy

I've had Blispay loaded for a few months but until today never actually tried to use it... I tried it at Walmart today and the terminal tried to process it as PINless debit and it was declined (no surprises there).  Thinking it might work on the second try I tried again, and got the same result.  The third time I tried with my Chase Amazon Visa and it was successful. 

I don't know if the problem was just yet another glitch with Walmart or if removing/re-adding the card would help.  I want to check my Sam's Club MC to see if it's finally compatible so I'll be removing Blispay soon anyway; assuming the Sam's Club MC isn't compatible I'll re-add Blispay and give it another try, possibly at a different store next time.

I used Samsung Pay with my Venture WEMC for a month or so and it worked perfectly; even at Walmart it would consistently work on the first try.  I'm not sure why some cards are more 'finicky' than others, but for anybody having issues try a Capital One MC if you have one.  Smiley Wink

I had planned on earning the $50 gift card and then giving it a rest, but Samsung has continued to offer promotions that have kept me going... I'm now on target to earn the $100 gift card.  I just activated the promo for 2000 points for five Chase purchases, so I'll be giving my Limitless a break for my next few purchases... LOL.  I had a targeted promo last month from Discover (not Samsung) that once I made five Discover purchases with Samsung Pay they would give me a $15 statement credit... that showed up on my last statement. 

As long as the promos continue I'll likely continue as well!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 32 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I wanted to try it 2 years ago but it won't let you pay on a rooted device, and i can't stand stock Samsung Android so I've never been able to use it.

Might try on my next phone before rooting it but for now real cards remain my only option.

Hi wanderingbuilder,

I am in the same boat as you.  I am unable to use it since my device is rooted (Galaxy Note 3 on Vzw).  I wish that I could use it though.

Message 33 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I have a couple of updates...

I deleted Blispay from my phone and tried to add my Sam's Club MasterCard... still no joy.  Smiley Sad

I then added Blispay back.  When I initially added Blispay I'm fairly certain they sent a SMS text to my phone for the confirmation; this time they did a test charge for 2¢ and I had to login to the Blispay app to get the code associated with the authorization (they advised that the authorization would not post).  I entered the code and once again I had Blispay on my phone.

I went to Walmart to try it and again the terminal treated it like debit; just like last time after the "swipe" was accepted the PINpad asked me if I wanted cash back (I could only choose 'yes' or 'no' - I chose 'no') then the screen gave me the 'declined' message.  I didn't try again (having already 'been there/done that') and I selected my Chase Amazon Visa which was promptly accepted.

Thinking it was just another issue with Walmart's POS I went to Kroger for a bag of ice and attempted to use Blispay w/ Samsung there, and this time it was just flatly declined.  I chose another card and within a few moments I was on my way, although slightly disapppointed.

When I got home I got to wondering when I last use Blispay; I checked and found the card has been idle since April.  Right away I thought "uh oh... blocked/closed for nonuse".  Rather than bother with calling I figured it would be quicker to just add $10 to my Amazon GC... I gave that a try and it was approved so there are no concerns with the Blispay account itself (thankfully).

TL;DR... I can't get Blispay to work with my Samsung phone.  I don't know if there's a glitch with my hardware, a problem on the back-end, or if there's something 'funky' with my account number that when tokenized just doesn't work.  In any case I seldom use the card so I don't plan to pursue it. 

Message 34 of 81
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Since I found this thread I've started using Samsung pay on my S8.  I'm loving it and really loving the idea of doubling up on rewards with both Samsung Pay and whichever card I'm using at the time.  So far I've only made two purchases but can easily see only using my phone other than at restaurants.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 35 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been using Samsung Pay for a while.  I love it. Just as a note I have a Galaxy S8 Plus and can use my Marvel Mastercard on it.  Isn't that a Sync card?  Maybe it is just some cards you can't use.  Anyway,  that's just my 2 cents (worth about 1/2 a cent theses days), Smiley Happy

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Message 36 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been using Samsung Pay for a while.  I love it. Just as a note I have a Galaxy S8 Plus and can use my Marvel Mastercard on it.  Isn't that a Sync card?  Maybe it is just some cards you can't use.  Anyway,  that's just my 2 cents (worth about 1/2 a cent theses days), Smiley Happy

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Yeah, for some reason they are playing hard-to-get with the Sam's Club MC... at first I thought it was because it was a "dual card" (PLCC/MC hybrid) but then I saw that the Gap/AE/Banana Republic cards work with Samsung pay which sends my theory flying out the window... LOL.

Thanks for the info on the Marvel MasterCard... it's good to know Samsung Pay is an option for that one!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 37 of 81
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Found two places that Samsung Pay would not work this weekend.  One was Potbelly, the only credit card swipe was integrated in the pos terminal.  The other was Taco Bell, it just would not work, I had to swipe.

Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 38 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Found two places that Samsung Pay would not work this weekend.  One was Potbelly, the only credit card swipe was integrated in the pos terminal.  The other was Taco Bell, it just would not work, I had to swipe.

I'm not familiar with Potbelly, but at my Taco Bell the swipe is done by the cashier so SPay is a no-go there for me as well.

I've read where some people 'reach around the terminal' with their phone, but unless there's a customer PIN-pad (or place to swipe) I just hand the cashier my plastic card.  Using new tech is awkward enough without the added perception of encroaching on someone's personal space...

Of the places where the customer does the swipe Wal-Mart is the only place where I've found SPay to sometimes be 'testy' (so far, anyway).  At the self-checkout I've had luck most of the time, but it's not consistent - sometimes it works right away, other times it takes multiple tries. 

I have decided to save myself the hassle and not bother with using SPay with a human cashier at Wal-Mart... the one time I used it to return an item paid for with SPay the returns desk clerk seemed confused/annoyed until it worked (thankfully it worked on the first try).  I know some like the interaction, but with Wal-Mart I just want to get in and out as quickly (and simply) as possible... I'll leave the "education" to other SPay users... LOL. 

Added:  I no longer bother with Amex at Wal-Mart... it's just not worth the hassle.  "In a pinch" I know it should work on the second try (it always declines on the first attempt) but like I mentioned above I'm usually just trying to get out as quickly as possible when I'm there.

Message 39 of 81
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Found out another cool feature today, my AMEX was hit with fraud last night, called up and they cancelled the number and are sending me a new one.  45 minutes later I got a notification that my Samsung Pay had been updated with new AMEX number already. 

I spent the holiday weekend in the Chicago area and used my S8 to pay at Meijer, Walgreens, Mobil (Through the Speedpass + app), KFC, Dunkin' Donuts.  

Potbelly is a sandwich shop, along the lines of Jersey Mike's or Firehouse.  

Message 40 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.