Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung pay

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Samsung pay

I have no intention of using any of these services (unless there's a compelling bonus for doing so of course). I just don't see the big convenience or time saver. I'm in retail. I've rang people up who used the mobile payments. It doesn't seem any quicker or really easier than sliding or inserting a card. Just another excuse for smartphones to take over our lives I guess! To each their own.

But I'd think until these things are 100% prolific and accepted everywhere which I'd say is a long way off, you'd still be carrying the cards for backup, so not sure what the point really is. But I've always been a bit weird about tech things.

Message 21 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I keep opening these threads in the hopes of seeing something like..."Discover is now offering 10% off with Samsung pay," but alas...

Yes, well... after the excitement of US BAnk offering a one-time $5 credit for using Android Pay...     Samsung did offer a free wireless charger (cost about $30) for those adding cards to Samsung Pay before Oct 11(?), and Verizon didn't add support till after that had ended.  However, Samsung promises additional incentives over the next few months, (maybe $10 off a case!), there seems to be nothing like Discover and Apple's tie in.

Message 22 of 45
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

As an Apple "fan boy" I'm quite jealous of the feature if it does indeed work reliably.

My dream device would hold all 20+ of my credit cards and would work at every pay terminal without any holdups or hiccups.
Message 23 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

I have no intention of using any of these services (unless there's a compelling bonus for doing so of course). I just don't see the big convenience or time saver. I'm in retail. I've rang people up who used the mobile payments. It doesn't seem any quicker or really easier than sliding or inserting a card. Just another excuse for smartphones to take over our lives I guess! To each their own.

But I'd think until these things are 100% prolific and accepted everywhere which I'd say is a long way off, you'd still be carrying the cards for backup, so not sure what the point really is. But I've always been a bit weird about tech things.

With Apple Pay I'm able to tap while they're still ringing up my items (tested at Whole Foods), so it shouldn't take that much longer on your end compared to a normal card.

Message 24 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yes, but you are using a computer to post on a forum, instead of sending a letter to the editor as all good non-techs should!

The transaction is a little slower (although now not much slower than a chip transaction) but it can be quicker to select the card you need (no more searching through wallets and/or remembering to take that card as you plan to go to that store today).

But for now, not compelling.

Message 25 of 45
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yes, but you are using a computer to post on a forum, instead of sending a letter to the editor as all good non-techs should!

The transaction is a little slower (although now not much slower than a chip transaction) but it can be quicker to select the card you need (no more searching through wallets and/or remembering to take that card as you plan to go to that store today).

But for now, not compelling.

It's a good point about searching for the "right card" or remembering to take the right card, although that issue primarily only impacts credit cards enthusiasts such as ourselves Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 45
Open123
Super Contributor

So, Samsung Pay works on any non-NFC POS terminal?  How's this even possible?

*obviously, I don't work in technology*

Message 27 of 45
jsucool76
Super Contributor

It interfaces with the magnetic stripe reader, probably with some type of electromagnet or something.
Message 28 of 45
jsucool76
Super Contributor

#doublepost

I Googled it... Lol

Per CNET:
"Samsung Pay uses Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) when the phone is held against one of these registers. The phone emits a magnetic signal that simulates the magnetic strip found on the back of a credit or debit card."
Message 29 of 45
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Open123 wrote:

So, Samsung Pay works on any non-NFC POS terminal?  How's this even possible?

*obviously, I don't work in technology*

Here's a link that explains a bit about it:

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-pay-what-you-need-to-know-faq/

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.