Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schwab or NFCU for banking?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Schwab or NFCU for banking?

Hey, everyone. Just wanted to open up some friendly discussion for those that have banking accounts at both institutions which you felt was best for your day-to-day needs. Both I have and will be kept regardless of which becomes the primary as even as a secondary account can have benefits. Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: Schwab or NFCU for banking?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, everyone. Just wanted to open up some friendly discussion for those that have banking accounts at both institutions which you felt was best for your day-to-day needs. Both I have and will be kept regardless of which becomes the primary as even as a secondary account can have benefits. Thanks in advance. 

depends on what factors you're looking at.

1.Do you withdraw cash from ATM nationwide or worldwide?

2. Do you write checks and need free checks

Assume everything else is the same. If you say yes to any above, go with schwab

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked into getting a schwabb account, as I am lucky enough to work in the US and live in Asia. But as the few times I needed to pull out cash, I don't think ( for me at least) opening another account is worth it. Plus NFCU has the cheapest ATM fees I've seen (0.8%) and I try t o use my CSR where ever I can. 

I love NFCU bill pay, and for me having a bank thats has every department open 24/7 is a real need that I have. Plus NFCU has given me and my family lots of love( everything since I  opened my account that I have apped for has been a SP.)

The only thing I am not too crazy about is the $5K daily limit for ACH transfers and the amount of time it takes for my credit card payment to post. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

depends on what factors you're looking at.

1.Do you withdraw cash from ATM nationwide or worldwide?

2. Do you write checks and need free checks

Assume everything else is the same. If you say yes to any above, go with schwab

Neither of those points are applicable unless you're withrdrawing money from a foreign ATM, and even then, $1 per withdrawl is no big deal. You need a direct deposit with NFCU to get a free account that provides ATM reimbursements (or else pay a $5 MMF). Both provide free checks. Customer service is better at Schwab IME, but both are good. 

I'd say the real deal breakers are 1) Do you want a Visa/MC credit card with the same instutition you bank with? And 2) Do you want a line of credit for overdraft protection? If you answer yes to either one of those, NavyFed is the answer. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.