cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Somewhere I can go to search individual bank's savings APY yearly history over a period of time?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somewhere I can go to search individual bank's savings APY yearly history over a period of time?

Is there a website or somewhere I can go to search individual bank's savings APY yearly history over a period of time (say about 5 years)?

For instance, say I want to search what Goldman Sachs, or Barclays, or Cit bank (or any bank "X") savings APY was for 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, where would I go?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Somewhere I can go to search individual bank's savings APY yearly history over a period of time

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/citibank.html#rates

Click yellow down arrow to see rate history -- some accounts go back to 2009.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Somewhere I can go to search individual bank's savings APY yearly history over a period of time

Thank you but I upon checking that site I only see one bank listed (Citi bank) and when I click on the yellow arrows for rate history, I only see the history as going back a few months.

Also, when I click on any of the other banks on that site, it just directs me to that site. Perhaps I am missing something. If not, is there a website that I can check a bunch of banks yearly apy histories?

Message 3 of 13
SBR249
Established Contributor

Problem is that banks do not have a set rate they apply uniformly to all savings accounts. The rate on any account could be dependent on the current benchmark rate it's pegged to, the terms of the account, the amount of money on deposit, any sign up bonuses, etc. 

I'll give an example, I signed up for a Capital One Internet HY savings account a few years ago, the rate was very competitive at the time I opened the account but it was tiered dependent on how much money I put in. Fast forward a few year, Capital One no longer offered the same product, they've combined with ING Direct, and their savings bank is now under Capital One 360. My account was grandfathered in to the new entity. Somewhere along the way, the economy tanked, the Fed started slashing interest rates and my rate plunged and has been stuck around 0.3% ever since even up to this day despite the fact that currently they offer a HY savings account with 1.0% APY. The same thing happened with my previous Citibank savings account before Capital One. 

So long story short, products change and so do rates. Rather than hoping to find a bank with consistently high rates that you'll stay with for a long time, it's probably easier to just plan on hopping around every few years to a different bank with high rates. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Click some other accounts with Citibank, there's at least one that goes back to 2009 on there.  I just checked again and I found it.

Because banks change the profiles of some accounts, it's hard to track what the past percentages are because the account gets listed slightly differently.  Banks do this on purpose to prevent aggregators from scraping information and marketing competitor products.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does seem like there is a deleberate attempt to hide this information. I did a high and low search for "APY history" for "savings accounts" on the internet over the past few months and have yet to see a comprehensive hisorical APY rate comparison for the previous 5 years of all the major banks.

I am even having difficutly finding the historical rates of the past 5 years when specifically looking/searching specific banks.

So it seems there is no comprehensive showing on any website of the historical rates over the past 5 years of all the major banks and this information is hard to come by even when searching individual banks. What a shame. This information is very important to customers looking to find a bank that is not using a "bait and switch" rate and that has offered historically competitve/leading rates.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It does seem like there is a deleberate attempt to hide this information. I did a high and low search for "APY history" for "savings accounts" on the internet over the past few months and have yet to see a comprehensive hisorical APY rate comparison for the previous 5 years of all the major banks.

I am even having difficutly finding the historical rates of the past 5 years when specifically looking/searching specific banks.

So it seems there is no comprehensive showing on any website of the historical rates over the past 5 years of all the major banks and this information is hard to come by even when searching individual banks. What a shame. This information is very important to customers looking to find a bank that is not using a "bait and switch" rate and that has offered historically competitve/leading rates.

Of course it's not easily available, it's a massive undertaking to monitor rates and yields and update databases.  Massive manpower involved.  Plus managing the data and providing it to the public isn't free, so naturally there has to be a return on the investment in time, server costs, data costs, etc.

The website I linked to has as much data as any free site I've used.  For example, Barclay's savings and CD rates go back to 3/23/2012 on this page.  That's over 5 years of rates, available for free.  Discover goes back to 11/2009 on the same site -- over 8 years of data points freely available.

I am honestly not sure what more you'd want as I have never had any issue doing my own research and pulling up the figures I want.  It takes time, sometimes.  In other cases I pay for a service to provide the information.  Sometimes I luck out and the data is freely available.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have the historic APY rates for savings accounts (not CD) from these banks for the last 5 years:

1. Barclays

2. Discover

3. Synchrony

4. Capital One 360

I need help finding the highest APY for each year for the past 5 years (2014, 15, 16, 17) for these banks:

1. Goldman Sachs

2. Ally Bank

3. Dollar Savings direct

4. Cit bank

Thank you

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Goldman Sachs

2. Ally Bank

3. Dollar Savings direct

4. Cit bank

Thank you

Google brought these up for me in literally 10 seconds. Not sure what you're searching for but it wasn't that difficult.

Why do you need these figures?  Is this for work or for profit, if so please disclose because I certainly don't want to be working for free if you're profiting from it.  So please disclose the purpose for these data points.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! Thanks for the info.

The others I didnt have too much trouble finding before your posts but I am having trouble with a finding a few of them. I did not know about rate brain. Curious, what search term(s) are you using on Google?

Goldman Sachs, and "Cit" not Citi are the only two left.

I am requesting this information because I am looking at swtiching banks.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.