Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-Mobile new account with TU HP

tag
Appleman
Valued Contributor

T-Mobile new account with TU HP

Finally broke up with AT&T yesterday and cancelled my account with them. Multiple reasons and I was ready for a change.

I had been using AT&T Next (0% interest financing) and it was easy enough, never requiring a credit check beyond the one a decade ago.

Switching to T-Mobile was very easy in store. They did run my credit as I was getting 4 new iPhones and pulled TU here in the Midwest. As I was researching T-Mobile they stated that 50% of their customers don't meet the credit standards to get their best deal (meaning a larger down payment). 

The sales guys had a big smile on his face after the credit pull and said 'Sir, you can get up to 12 lines today'. I thanked him and said 4 was plenty.

T-Mobile does not let you finance 100% of the iPhone cost like the AT&T NEXT plan and you have to pay sales tax and activation at the time of purchase (similar to AT&T). All told to get 4 iPhone Xs out the door the cost was $1,613.56 (Down payment, tax and activation). Each phone is financed at $30 a month allowing me to trade in for a new phone at 12 months or own it after 24months. Since I traded in my phones, they used that credit to reduce the amount I had to pay.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: T-Mobile new account with TU HP

@Appleman wrote:

Finally broke up with AT&T yesterday and cancelled my account with them. Multiple reasons and I was ready for a change.

I had been using AT&T Next (0% interest financing) and it was easy enough, never requiring a credit check beyond the one a decade ago.

Switching to T-Mobile was very easy in store. They did run my credit as I was getting 4 new iPhones and pulled TU here in the Midwest. As I was researching T-Mobile they stated that 50% of their customers don't meet the credit standards to get their best deal (meaning a larger down payment). 

The sales guys had a big smile on his face after the credit pull and said 'Sir, you can get up to 12 lines today'. I thanked him and said 4 was plenty.

T-Mobile does not let you finance 100% of the iPhone cost like the AT&T NEXT plan and you have to pay sales tax and activation at the time of purchase (similar to AT&T). All told to get 4 iPhone Xs out the door the cost was $1,613.56 (Down payment, tax and activation). Each phone is financed at $30 a month allowing me to trade in for a new phone at 12 months or own it after 24months. Since I traded in my phones, they used that credit to reduce the amount I had to pay.

when i switched earlier this year to Tmobile they pulled my creidt as well. I think thats pretty standard practice when you switch. Did they charge you 300 downpayment for each iphone x ? 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 5
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Each iPhone X (64 GB) was $999.99. They charged $279.99 + $25 activation + $96 tax = $400.99 per line. Leaving the $30 monthly payment per line for 24 months.

Message 3 of 5
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Appleman wrote:

Each iPhone X (64 GB) was $999.99. They charged $279.99 + $25 activation + $96 tax = $400.99 per line. Leaving the $30 monthly payment per line for 24 months.

ahhh i see i just upgraded to iphone x a month and half ago and was 300 was just wondering about new accounts if they give you a better deal. Which plan did you end up going with the 160 for 4 line plan ? I also switched from att i was paying more for two lines 4 gb then i am now for unlimited plus the two leased lines. BTW when I switched earlier in the year they gave you a MC gift card for each line you switched do they still have that offer it could help a little

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 5
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I went with the $50 per line. And, since I took advantage of having T-mobile pay off my ATT next balances (up to $650 per line) I was not eligible for any additional discounts/rebates.

ATT did offer 17% off my bill for being a state employee. Going to check and see if T-mobile has a similar deal.

I am curious how the commission program works at T-mobile.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.