Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TAX & IRS 2016 QUESTIONS! Please HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TAX & IRS 2016 QUESTIONS! Please HELP

Hi so I have several issues/questions actually regarding this so first ill state the facts

-I'm currently 23 and live rent free with my mom.

-I work under my mom which she owns a small business.

-I dont believe im filed as a dependent under her

-I live in Los Angeles, California 

FIrst question -

I receive weekly paychecks from her and I deposit them every week via ATM but one day i received $20,000 by accident and I just deposited it like normal. Once we found out, it was too late to return it so I just wire trransfered the money back to her account less -$3,000 i believe for company expenses I bought. Since the deposit went through does that mean I get taxed/file taxes as if I got $20,000 more?? If so how should i fix this.. It was probably around April or so and the checking account I deposited too has been closed since. I closed the account with Wells Fargo July and have a new one with BOFA. 

Second question -

I use my credit card for many company expenses so my mom reimburses me with either cash or checks but its up to $10,000-$30,000 over the year which in return means i deposit a lot of money over the year.. Does that flag any alert to the IRS when it just company expenses reimbursed for?

Any suggestions/help is very kindly appreciated

Thank You

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: TAX & IRS 2016 QUESTIONS! Please HELP

Does the 1099 or 1040 she supplied you include the extra 20k?

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not received it yet so im not sure.. what happens if its included or not?

Message 3 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have not received it yet so im not sure.. what happens if its included or not?

If it's not (it shouldn't be) you don't worry about it.  If it is, talk to mom.

Reimbursements shouldn't be there either; transaction record of any account doesn't go to the IRS (at least under any normal circumstance, criminal investigations not withstanding), only interest statement off said account, which is probably near zero.

        
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.. but what about regarding 10k+ deposits?
Message 5 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for your reply.. but what about regarding 10k+ deposits?

That's for anti-money laundering, not income tax related per se.

Also it's more sophisticated than that but I digress heh.

        
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Under 10k is not reported to IRS over 10k it is.

Have an accountant be able to describe everything in detail when they file your taxes, that way you avoid any hiccups down the road.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are only going to pay taxes on the income you receive from the business, not any expense reimbursements.  This income should be reported to you on a W-2 assuming your mom is operating her business correctly.  It's possible you could be classified as an independent contractor under a narrow set of rules, in which case you should be getting a 1099.  If payroll taxes are being deducted then you are being treated as an employee and should be getting a W-2, otherwise you are being treated as an independent contractor and should be getting a 1099.

In any event, you need be be keeping a really good paper trail of all that non payroll money coming into your account.  I would highly recommend full expense reports with receipts for everything you are getting reimbursed for.  In the event of an IRS audit all those non payroll deposits are going to look like untaxed compensation (especially from a family business).  While your chances of an audit are probably slim, if you don't have a really good paper trail you could have a lot of explaining to do.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you deposit enough cash into your account the IRS  gets reports about  it.  If  regularly depost  only about half the amunt required to file the form the bank still keeps records and still files the form. This called structured trnsactions and we do not want to talk this topic.  speaking  now as some one who retired their membership in the state society of cpa's 10 years ago.   With regard to expenses you need to file an expense report to the biz monthly or as needed with the reciept reason so forth and biz writes you a check. Paychecks are best for family members when they are paid the same every week/ 2 weeks then quarterly bonuses and year end bonus.  Inregard to the overpaid it is not included in pay.  You just need to be able to show you got it and paid it back promptly. no  bid deal.    

Message 9 of 12
wa3more
Established Contributor

what groundhog said. You have to see  what is in your W2, it doesn't sound like you are a 1099 contractor.

If it is in your W2, you would need to get a corrected W2 from employer/mom

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.