Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TD Bank & Wells Fargo Checking/Deposit Accounts

tag
dbw79
Regular Contributor

TD Bank & Wells Fargo Checking/Deposit Accounts

I was wondering for anyone who has recently opened either a Wells Fargo or TD Bank checking and/or savings account, did they pre screen and pre-qualify/pre-approve you for any credit products when you opened your account? If so, was this done online or in branch?

Appreciate any feedback.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TD Bank & Wells Fargo Checking/Deposit Accounts

I did open Wells Fargo checking. I had Wells Fargo account two years back and closed it. When I spoke to banker about opening checking for my credit builder loan account, the banker told me I have preapprived credit card for 13% APR and he said it's valid only for that day. Since my motive was to get business credit card, I declined it.
Message 2 of 8
dbw79
Regular Contributor

Thanks. That is good info. Was this recently? I'm sure it's better to open these accounts in branch, as they can verify your identity in person. Wondering too if anyone gets these prequals online as well? By the way, do you remember what card it was? That's a pretty good rate.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was last weekend. No. I don't remember the card.
Message 4 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@dbw79 wrote:

I was wondering for anyone who has recently opened either a Wells Fargo or TD Bank checking and/or savings account, did they pre screen and pre-qualify/pre-approve you for any credit products when you opened your account? If so, was this done online or in branch?

Appreciate any feedback.

I recently opened Wells Fargo online for the bonus, and wasn't preapproved for anything when I opened it. No notifications, no suggestions, nothing. 

I'm certain I could get one of their cards if I cold app for it, but their offerings are so meh. 

Edit: I should mention that after opening my account I got a prequalified mail offer from them, with a reservation number on it, for their Cashwise Visa. I haven't decided if I'm going to grab it for the bonus. 

Message 5 of 8
dbw79
Regular Contributor

DeeBee - Thanks for the info. I believe opening an account (checking and/or savings) is only a soft pull? Can you please confrim that.

Message 6 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@dbw79 wrote:

DeeBee - Thanks for the info. I believe opening an account (checking and/or savings) is only a soft pull? Can you please confrim that.

Correct, no HP. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened WF and no pre-approval for anything
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.