Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax worksheet?

tag
hajew86
New Contributor

Tax worksheet?

Hello all,

I'm looking for a tax worksheet in a excel format that maybe someone here uses for their personal tax to help prepare for withholding, esitmated taxes, etc...essentially a worksheet that would make it easy to help me or anyone prepare better for their taxes. I appreciate if anyone has the ability to share, I believe it would be very benefitical to the public. Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax worksheet?

While I don't have a worksheet, it can be VERY beneficial to spend a few bucks on an Accountant and let them advise you here.

I essentially used last year's tax return as an estimate. I owed $6k because my withholding was off and was determined to not let that happen again. Not much is changing for me this year . . standard deduction . .. about the same income . . .living/working in the same states . . .etc. 

I live in NYC and work in NJ. Midway through this year, I went to last year's return and found the tax paid/owed to the IRS, New York State, New York City, and New Jersey. Then I went into my most recent paystub and saw what I had paid in via payroll deductions to that point in the year, and subtracted it from my 2016 totals. I took the difference and divided it by the # of pay periods I had left for the year. Then I set my payroll withholding to those certain $ amounts per paycheck for each of the 4 bureaus I pay taxes to.

I understand this might all be easy for me because I work in Accounting, so again it could be very feasible to find a CPA that will eventually do your taxes next year to give you an estimate now. I wholeheartedly believe that a good Accountant is one of the best ways you can spend a couple hundred bucks (or whatever) per year. They'd also be able to advise you if throwing an extra $1000 into a pretax retirement account could end up saving you even more money on taxes. These kind of things can happen if you're right on the border of different tax brackets.

Message 2 of 4
hajew86
New Contributor

I gotcha and appreciate the input...I was just curious if anyone had something already created that they personally use. Ran into a situation after my wife and I got married where I messed up our withholding and we had to pay for it because of my lack of experience being married while having to pay taxes. Smiley Happy

I'll have to end up getting a CPA soon enough because of the situation I'm going into next year (becoming a part owner in a family business). 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

OH!

I've also in years past gone into TurboTax, TaxAct, or one of those programs and started a fake return I had no intention of actually filing and used it to help me estimate different scenarios Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.