Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: The Savings Playground for June, 2017 -- summer break!

I haven't been on this site in forever.  A lot has changed over the last year and I'm ready to get serious about money.  I love this idea.  Great timing for me, too!  I recently paid off all of my debt including the car (2 1/2 years early) and the truck (1 1/2 years early).  My only debt is my mortgage.  It feels great!  Now, I am going full speed ahead on my savings.  My goal is one year of living expenses.  I'm currently on the carousel.

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Cheers merry go round!!!

I like synchrony ,and navy Fed.

😁😃<____!!!!!!!!NOIIICE!!!!!!!_____>😃😁

wells.jpg 2chase navychase east westchase us bankimg src=ChaseFreedom_F.inddC_DP7_EMV_MNLW_18-PID 257.epsnavy fedBCE&ED|Chase|NFCUcc&CLOC|WF|Cash+|ElanFin.|Dia'md prefer.|Gard'N since 6/23/2017|TOTAL CL$111.2K !!!NOIIICE!!!
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

My question for the board is why is hard to switch banks for a higher apy? Like 0 .001% vs 1.05 and so on???? What's the biggest reason to keep low interest sav. Acc.???

wells.jpg 2chase navychase east westchase us bankimg src=ChaseFreedom_F.inddC_DP7_EMV_MNLW_18-PID 257.epsnavy fedBCE&ED|Chase|NFCUcc&CLOC|WF|Cash+|ElanFin.|Dia'md prefer.|Gard'N since 6/23/2017|TOTAL CL$111.2K !!!NOIIICE!!!
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

MILOfico wrote:
My question for the board is why is hard to switch banks for a higher apy? Like 0 .001% vs 1.05 and so on???? What's the biggest reason to keep low interest sav. Acc.???

It's probably because of convenience and accessibility. Someone may need access to cash immediately. Unless an online account comes with a debit or ATM card, access is not immediate. Depending on the institution a transfer could take several days. 

Gardening since xx/xx/xx Gardenversary xx/xx/xx Score: 08/21/17 EQ 781 TU 784 EXP 789
Current Score: 781
Goal Score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Anusara wrote:

MILOfico wrote:

It's probably because of convenience and accessibility. Someone may need access to cash immediately. Unless an online account comes with a debit or ATM card, access is not immediate. Depending on the institution a transfer could take several days. 

While I don't doubt this is the case for some people, I wonder at the logic of needing an ATM/debit card for a savings account. After all, the point of them is not to withdraw money very often, and thus one should be aware of the need to withdraw the money with enough lead time to transfer to a checking account.

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

iced wrote:

Anusara wrote:

MILOfico wrote:

While I don't doubt this is the case for some people, I wonder at the logic of needing an ATM/debit card for a savings account. After all, the point of them is not to withdraw money very often, and thus one should be aware of the need to withdraw the money with enough lead time to transfer to a checking account.

Yes.... exactly my thinking ....I feel it's brand loyalty ...which crazy to meSmiley LOL I get it's not much but come on go for the bigger coins not 1/2 a cent lol

Regular Contributor

Nothing major going on regarding savings - still plugging away.

Just starting diverting my monthly emergency fund savings 100% to Vanguard.  I have a portion in cash at my regular bank for minor emergencies.  It's time to start seeing my money grow and Vanguard has an outstanding lineup of funds that I believe will benefit me greatly.

I'm still credit card debt free and working on finding ways to bring in additional income.  My goal is to have my 6 month emergency fund completely funded by the end of the year.  Fingers crossed!!

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

iced wrote:

Anusara wrote:

MILOfico wrote:

I was speaking from the POV of accessing an eFund when there's an emergency not dipping into long term savings. 

Gardening since xx/xx/xx Gardenversary xx/xx/xx Score: 08/21/17 EQ 781 TU 784 EXP 789
Current Score: 781
Goal Score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

NFCU has new 5MO. 3% CD;

Established Contributor

MILOfico wrote:

NFCU has new 5MO. 3% CD;

This looks quite tempting, though it's worth noting it's a 3% APY and since the term of the CD is less than half a year, it won't be anywhere near the full 3%. Still good as far as guaranteed savings go right now. It's a shame it's limited to $10,000.

Does one have to have a NFCU checking account to get this offer or can one join NFCU and just open a CD? I'm hoping no since the EasyStart explicitly states checking and DD are required while the CD offer does not, but I'd still like to confirm before going through the process of joining NFCU.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.