Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US --> Canadian Currency Exchange

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

US --> Canadian Currency Exchange

Hey guys, just looking for an up-to-date answer on a US to Canadian currency exchange.

One of my coworkers is going to Niagara Falls Thursday - Saturday. The only card she has with no FTF is her Discover card, though if any place does not take Discover she can use her parent's GM Mastercard which has no FTF. She plans on using the Discover as much as she can, but she may need a bit of Canadian dollars for more local spots off the beaten track or at a bar to tip. AAA in New Jersey will convert at no cost, but has to be minimum $500, and they won't convert back to US with any leftover cash, so a conversion with a fee will have to be done somewhere else. I know Discover does the cash over, but I cannot find any locations within the Canadian side of Niagara Falls that will do it so she can get $20-$60 with no fees.

I guess a few questions I have:

- Anyone know of any non-fee places to convert US --> Canadian for a smaller amount, more on the order of $100 or less?

- The Schwab account with the debit card would be the best option so she could just take out cash at an ATM, but with two days to go, no way she'll be able to fund the account and get a debit card that quickly.

- Are there actually places I don't know about (aka grocery or convenience stores not listed on the Discover website) on the Canadian side that will do the Discover cash over?

- Should she just stick with card as much as possible and not worry about the cash? I would presume places in the tourist sections and close to the border will accept both US/Canadian dollars. Just need a confirmation on the latter.

Thanks all Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US --> Canadian Currency Exchange

Literally everybody in Canada will accept US dollars.

Most will give you an exchange rate at the cash register if you pay with USD. Occasionally, some places will take US currecy, but will treat it the same as Canadian, at a 1:1 exchange rate, so you lose a little on each transaction at those places. Still, it is likely cheaper than the fee you would pay to convert your money at a currency exchange center.

I have spent months at a time in Canada and have never converted more than $50 in cash on any trip, and even then I have rarely used it. For a short vacation I wouldn't bother. On the very rare occasions when you might have to pay cash, just give them American money. Especially in touristy areas, it's expected. Even in areas off the beaten path, it isn't unusual.

Message 2 of 5
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Thanks Deo, greatly appreciate the response! She'll likely just do the Discover/maybe the Mastercard method and use US dollars if absolutely needed.

Message 3 of 5
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Hey guys, just looking for an up-to-date answer on a US to Canadian currency exchange.

One of my coworkers is going to Niagara Falls Thursday - Saturday. The only card she has with no FTF is her Discover card, though if any place does not take Discover she can use her parent's GM Mastercard which has no FTF. She plans on using the Discover as much as she can, but she may need a bit of Canadian dollars for more local spots off the beaten track or at a bar to tip. AAA in New Jersey will convert at no cost, but has to be minimum $500, and they won't convert back to US with any leftover cash, so a conversion with a fee will have to be done somewhere else. I know Discover does the cash over, but I cannot find any locations within the Canadian side of Niagara Falls that will do it so she can get $20-$60 with no fees.

I guess a few questions I have:

- Anyone know of any non-fee places to convert US --> Canadian for a smaller amount, more on the order of $100 or less?

- The Schwab account with the debit card would be the best option so she could just take out cash at an ATM, but with two days to go, no way she'll be able to fund the account and get a debit card that quickly.

- Are there actually places I don't know about (aka grocery or convenience stores not listed on the Discover website) on the Canadian side that will do the Discover cash over?

- Should she just stick with card as much as possible and not worry about the cash? I would presume places in the tourist sections and close to the border will accept both US/Canadian dollars. Just need a confirmation on the latter.

Thanks all Smiley Happy

I wouldn't worry much about the cash. I was there recently for 2 weeks (Toronto and Niagara Falls) and most places (99.99%) accept credit cards. I did not use Discover though so I couldn't tell you about its acceptance. Her best option would be to take the GM card.

Message 4 of 5
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I'm in Canade (Toronto) frequently. EVERYONE takes US Dollars, recently ( 2 weeks ago), they were converting at about 1.20 Cdn to 1 USD. If I made a larger purchase, I have a CapOne card that I used...   

Also, slightly OT, but, nteresting fact:

I have an ExxonMobil card, and it is still in the 12 cents per gallon rebate promo period. I used it an ESSO station in Ontario. I got 12 cents PER LITER credit back on my statement, in USD.. LOL! Not bad, 50 cents off per gallon... Smiley Happy    I guess their system just sees the quantity, not the unit of measure...

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.