Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Membership Workaround?

tag
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

USAA Membership Workaround?

I'm 27 and both of my parents are deceased. My father's dad was a CAPT in the Army Air Corps in World War II, but predeceased my father before a "link" could be established. I've tried obtaining membership to get a CC and maybe check out some of their other products, but the CSR's always tell me a chain has to be established. I don't have much family still around, let alone people who've served.    I had no problem getting in with NFCU through my Grandpa, but USAA seems to be inflexible. Any advice would be  AWESOME. Thanks! Smiley Very Happy

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Membership Workaround?

You can always enlist.
Message 2 of 10
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You can always enlist.

I actually cant. I tried for Air Force ROTC to follow in my grandpa's footsteps in college but I took medication (and still occasionally do) for ADHD diagnosed at age 8.

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same situation great grand, grand, and father all served and are all deceased. Uncles who served and aunts also, all deceased. USAA is horrible about this sort of thing. Navy Fed is wonderful about it with deceased parents and still being allowed to join. But I need USAA for the Home a insurance. If you find a work around, let me know
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cmm89 wrote:

I'm 27 and both of my parents are deceased. My father's dad was a CAPT in the Army Air Corps in World War II, but predeceased my father before a "link" could be established. I've tried obtaining membership to get a CC and maybe check out some of their other products, but the CSR's always tell me a chain has to be established. I don't have much family still around, let alone people who've served.    I had no problem getting in with NFCU through my Grandpa, but USAA seems to be inflexible. Any advice would be  AWESOME. Thanks! Smiley Very Happy

USAA membership can only be passed down,

If your father or grandfather would also had to have been a USAA member on top of serving as well. Yes they are very strict. But you need to look at as a benefit of service, not a right. Yes they offer awesome insurance, but that because they membership pool is small and not open to everyone. 

Your only "work around" is gonna be raising your right hand, or marry a service connected person. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a military service person and member of USAA, their membership requirements have changed more than once since 2010. For awhile they even opened it up and then locked it down tight (as you already are aware). In reading posts in this forum there are many good options for banks and credit unions that equal or exceed USAA membership. Two that stick out are Pen Fed and Navy. As many experienced posters on this forum would say, you can usually find what you need and change it if something better comes along and they do.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cmm89 wrote:

Yeah it can be hard to get in.  Fortunatly my wife already has USAA so that is how I got in.  I was limited with that account.  I was not able to get insurance through them or some of thier other benefits.  My parents finally joined and obtained insurance and that opened the door for me.

I hope you can find some way into USAA, they are a great bank.

I am not a fan of Navy Federal though.  Though I feel I am on my own on this one lol

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cmm89 wrote:

USAA says to call their insurance division to check to see if your parents ever had an insurance product with them. If they did, you may be eligible to join. 

As Oldman stated, you can enlist in active duty if you are young enough or the reserves. Age limit for the reserves are as follows: Marines up to age 29; Army up to age 34; Air Force up to age 38; Navy and Coast Guard up to age 39. There are age waivers available to doctors, attorneys and clergy above the posted ages. 

Things could always change, around 2009/2010 USAA allowed limited membership to anybody (banking products only) then took it away in 2013. Even existing limited members were blocked from applying for anything new; however, it seems limited members can now apply again for banking products. Maybe USAA will open up limited membership again in the future but for now, its closed. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
or marry a service connected person. 
Does USAA have a dating site?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.