Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA/NFCU Qualifications

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA/NFCU Qualifications

I served in the US Marines from 1981-1987, did my active duty for boot camp and school, then went to the reserves where I drilled monthly and 2 weeks of active duty every summer. Tonight while looking through some old documents, I found my DD-214 which was my discharge in 1981 from active duty going back to the reserve status. I also found my certificate of discharge from the US Marines in January, 1987 along with copies of my service record book that I remember I copied before leaving the reserves, in addition to my shot record from the Navy Corps. Would this information be enough for me to qualify for either of them since I was a Reservist and did not spend 20 years in the military? I've been researching this with very limited results, so thought I'd ask back here. I know there's a certain stigma that goes along with being a reservist that I really wasn't a true veteran, however I disagree, as I went to the same boot camp and pledged my life for my country if needed and got a paycheck from Uncle Sam for 6 years.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: USAA/NFCU Qualifications

You qualify for both.. whatcha waiting for? Join!😀

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

You qualify for both.. whatcha waiting for? Join!😀

Okay thanks. Will call them first though. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Devil Dog,

You won't need any of that.

I applied for both, I believe they go off your social security number.  Both USAA and NFCU never asked for my DD-214. 

Service to your country is enough, weather its reserves or not is irrelevant. Sure we used to rag on the reservists all the time, but as far as the banks go they ar not concerned with any of that. You did your time, now enjoy the benefits. 

USAA has alot of awesome insurance products ( I have all mine thru them,dental, vision, car, life)

I USAA to manage all my accounts, they have an awesome dashboard that allows you add all your external accounts ( Credit cards, investments, other financial institutions.)  

Their savings rates are terrible though .01% bleh.....

Let me know if you need any more info. Now go sign up and enjoy the benefits of service!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Devil Dog,

I applied for both, I believe they go off your social security number.  Both USAA and NFCU never asked for my DD-214. 

Service to your country is enough, weather its reserves or not is irrelevant. Sure we used to rag on the reservists all the time, but as far as the banks go they ar not concerned with any of that. You did your time, now enjoy the benefits. 

USAA has alot of awesome insurance products ( I have all mine thru them,dental, vision, car, life)

I USAA to manage all my accounts, they have an awesome dashboard that allows you add all your external accounts ( Credit cards, investments, other financial institutions.)  

Let me know if you need any more info. Now go sign up and enjoy the benefits of service!

First of all, Semper Fi my brother. Thank you for all this information. I will definitely look them over and see what i do. 

When I was looking at the NFCU info last night, it appeared it was for retirees only, so that was the final straw that I decided to post over here. Seems that they would be cutting out a lot of potential business if everyone had to put in 20 years in order to qualify.

Have a nice day!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Devil Dog,

First of all, Semper Fi my brother. Thank you for all this information. I will definitely look them over and see what i do. 

When I was looking at the NFCU info last night, it appeared it was for retirees only, so that was the final straw that I decided to post over here. Seems that they would be cutting out a lot of potential business if everyone had to put in 20 years in order to qualify.

Have a nice day!

NFCU until  recently only allowed you to join as a member of the military if you were either currently serving or a retiree.  Now any veteran can join.  The change was long overdue.  Unfortunately they haven't updated their website to accurately reflect that change.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied in February with NFCU and they let me right in with veteran status.  They didn't ask for any verification.  i am guessing they have some access to records.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Devil Dog,

Wait they offer dental, vision?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's correct,

Vission is thru VSP, and dental through Cigna.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's correct,

Vission is thru VSP, and dental through Cigna.

Didn't know that.  I have it through work but wonder if it would be better to get it through them.  I woiuld have to compare them with what I currenlty have and we all know how hard that is to read all that jargon lol

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.