Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA banking/CC post IIB/BK established

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

USAA banking/CC post IIB/BK established

Im putting this here in Personal Finance because USAA is a bank, and its related to banking. Its a little long winded, I apologize, but has good information and data points......Smiley Wink

So, long story short, Ive been a full member with them for 26yrs with car/renters insurance, and I had a CC with them for about 5 yrs, but they were IIB in my BK in 2013, which the acct went to a CO before IIB. 

Anyway...anyone that burns them knows getting back in with them is rough.  USAA will restrict you in all ways including restricting your online access, only letting you have access to like 2 features on the mobile side to see your ID card, and see that a payment posted to your insurance acct, and thats it. But, I would call in every month to their CS and make my monthly insurance payment over the phone with a........CC, LOL! Smiley Happy Been doing that since discharge, almost 4 yrs. 

Ive always thought how childish it was that they would completely restrict you just from online access to your insurance even. You would go to log in, and all of a sudden a big red box pops up saying, "youve filed a bankruptcy, and do not have access to this site!!"...LOL..

OK..fast forward to a few days ago, I get a strange email from them telling me I have a new document to read regarding online poilcies. I thought, thats wierd, why would they send me that knowing Im restricted and cant access the dang document anyways?!!

So, I thought more, and decided to log on the main site on my home PC, and BAMM!MM! the restriction was lifted, and I have full access once again to .............EVERYTHING.  Im now able to apply for any products again, checking, savings, CC, anything.  So I did just to see how blacklist I really was, so  I applied for their CC, but was auto declined for BK, but they countered instantly with their secured CC.  Im still deciding on it, because it doesnt graduate, and its locked in a 2yr-CD/$35 AF, and when the 2yrs it up, the only options are to roll it again for 2 yrs, or close it. 

So, as I was deciding on the secured card, I made my insurance payment online, with another CC, lol, and opened a savings acct with NO issues. 

I did recon the secured CC thing stating im past that in my rebuild, but was told from the lady who was going back and forth between me and the UW on the phone, that since I had a CO with them with previous CC that went to BK, they had to wait at least min 5yrs before they will consider an unsecured card.  I had been previously told 7yrs. So, no big deal, the approved secured card is sitting in my offers section till mid August, and I can take it if I want it. 

So.......sometimes all it take is a little time to heal wounds. Im one month shy of being 4yrs post BK DC, and USAA finally let me back in, so I established a savings in the mean time while I wait for a possbile unsecured CC approval in the future.....baby steps! Smiley Wink

There's hope! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA banking/CC post IIB/BK established

That's awesome,

Glad they let you back in! I hope that they give you full access to everything soon. The Limitless visa looks pretty sweet. 

At least they let you use the insurance the whole time. 

I don't know what I would do without USAA, as DOD contractor I rely on them for all my insurance needs. 

I love how you can manage other account thru USAA, I manage all my credit cards, external banks, investments, etc using USAA. Its nice to have everything in one place. 

ANd its nice to get paid a day earlier than everyone else!

Message 2 of 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's awesome,

Glad they let you back in! I hope that they give you full access to everything soon. The Limitless visa looks pretty sweet. 

At least they let you use the insurance the whole time. 

I don't know what I would do without USAA, as DOD contractor I rely on them for all my insurance needs. 

I love how you can manage other account thru USAA, I manage all my credit cards, external banks, investments, etc using USAA. Its nice to have everything in one place. 

ANd its nice to get paid a day earlier than everyone else!

Thanks JMC...Smiley Happy 

I feel sure that within the next 1-3 yrs, Ill have a CC with them again. Just need some time to pass...In the meantime though, savings acct is open, and Im thinking of opening checking as well. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great news, Pizza! I'd love to be in with them.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They just let me use the full site again.  Maybe they just lifted the web site ban from everyone.  I have charge offs of 135k with them.  I thought about opening a bank account for the limitless but what is stopping them from just taking my money saying I owe them it.everything is way past SOL but I am not going to take a risk.  I am AU on my wife's USAA card anyway.  

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

Im still deciding on it, because it doesnt graduate, and its locked in a 2yr-CD/$35 AF, and when the 2yrs it up, the only options are to roll it again for 2 yrs, or close it. 

There's hope! 

You don't have to roll again for 2 years.  Once the two years is up you can close it at anytime you do not have to start over again.  You can also add more to it at anytime.

I had a secured card and deciced to close it since it doesn't graduate.  I made some money off of it so I can't complain.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.