Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Highlighted
Established Contributor
Posts: 659
Registered: ‎09-29-2014
0

Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?

[ Edited ]

I want to always be in good standing with NFCU.  Therefore I wonder if I should do this.  I have a credit card with a balance of $2500.  I am able to pay it off in about 30 days.  In the meantime, since the credit card payment is due and it will report to credit agencies in a few days, I want to fully pay down the credit card using my NFCU cloc.  Then in about 30 days pay the cloc back to zero.  Doing this gets the credit card reported at zero in a few days and helps decrease my utilization faster (I won't elaborate but I need this to happen).  This will work because NFCU told me my new credit card and cloc won't report for 2 months (April 2017). Is using 1/2 of NFCU cloc hurtful for future credit decisions with NFCU?

In the garden as of March 17, 2017.

Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Hilton Surpass $2K l Aviator Red $3.5K | Best Buy $3K | Amazon $6K | Chase $5K | BBVA $5K | UFCU $10K | NFCU $15K
New Contributor
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎03-02-2015
0

Re: Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?

Not for me. I used my CLOC to pay off some debt and was using 65% of my max 15k. I also got a $12k CLI on my Cash Rewards card with that existing balance on my CLOC. That's just my personal experience. I pay on time and more than minimum. I utilize the credit that has been extended to me.

Established Contributor
Posts: 659
Registered: ‎09-29-2014
0

Re: Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?


Curious0ne wrote:

Not for me. I used my CLOC to pay off some debt and was using 65% of my max 15k. I also got a $12k CLI on my Cash Rewards card with that existing balance on my CLOC. That's just my personal experience. I pay on time and more than minimum. I utilize the credit that has been extended to me.


Wonderful information!  Thanks!

In the garden as of March 17, 2017.

Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Hilton Surpass $2K l Aviator Red $3.5K | Best Buy $3K | Amazon $6K | Chase $5K | BBVA $5K | UFCU $10K | NFCU $15K
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,558
Registered: ‎11-11-2015

Re: Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?


soloman wrote:

Curious0ne wrote:

Not for me. I used my CLOC to pay off some debt and was using 65% of my max 15k. I also got a $12k CLI on my Cash Rewards card with that existing balance on my CLOC. That's just my personal experience. I pay on time and more than minimum. I utilize the credit that has been extended to me.


Wonderful information!  Thanks!


NFCU won't care one bit as long as you pay them and on time.

AMEX BCE $9000- DCU Platinum $10000- Chase FU $11700- AMEX EDP $15000- NFCU CLOC $15000- Penfed Promise $25000- Cap1 Premier Dining $25000- NFCU Go Rewards $27100- Venture $27750 **As of 5/24/17** EX- 752(21) TU- 764(17) EQ- 744(12) UTI 3%- Clean Files-
Senior Contributor
Posts: 5,552
Registered: ‎02-24-2015
0

Re: Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?


soloman wrote:

I want to always be in good standing with NFCU.  Therefore I wonder if I should do this.  I have a credit card with a balance of $2500.  I am able to pay it off in about 30 days.  In the meantime, since the credit card payment is due and it will report to credit agencies in a few days, I want to fully pay down the credit card using my NFCU cloc.  Then in about 30 days pay the cloc back to zero.  Doing this gets the credit card reported at zero in a few days and helps decrease my utilization faster (I won't elaborate but I need this to happen).  This will work because NFCU told me my new credit card and cloc won't report for 2 months (April 2017). Is using 1/2 of NFCU cloc hurtful for future credit decisions with NFCU?


No, temporarily using half of your NFCU CLOC credit limit would not be hurtful for future credit decisions.


FICO8 EQ 785 TU 804 EX 783 FICO5 EQ 733 Total revolving 463000
Established Contributor
Posts: 659
Registered: ‎09-29-2014

Re: Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?

[ Edited ]

Thanks donny10 and southjamica.

In the garden as of March 17, 2017.

Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Hilton Surpass $2K l Aviator Red $3.5K | Best Buy $3K | Amazon $6K | Chase $5K | BBVA $5K | UFCU $10K | NFCU $15K
Contributor
Posts: 126
Registered: ‎07-27-2016

Re: Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?

NFCU is not known for AA unless you're seriously delinquent on payments.  You'll be fine.

Current scores mid 600s on EQ and EX, high 600s on TU.

Amex Platinum NPSL - NFCU Platinum $17,900 - PenFed Promise $5000 - Merrick Bank $2400 - USAA Amex $2000 - Local CU Visa Classic $1600 - Barclay NFL MC $1500 - Cap 1 $1400/$850/$850/$600 (to be combined) - Amex Delta Gold $1000 - Synchrony PayPal MC $780 - Chase Freedom Unlimited $500 - Citi Best Buy $500 + several store cards.
New Contributor
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎02-26-2016
0

Re: Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?


soloman wrote:

  This will work because NFCU told me my new credit card and cloc won't report for 2 months (April 2017). Is using 1/2 of NFCU cloc hurtful for future credit decisions with NFCU?


Weird because mine reported about 2 weeks after I opened it and I had a balance, which was fine but just letting you know my experience with reporting. 

Established Contributor
Posts: 659
Registered: ‎09-29-2014
0

Re: Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?


ladybug2016 wrote:

soloman wrote:

  This will work because NFCU told me my new credit card and cloc won't report for 2 months (April 2017). Is using 1/2 of NFCU cloc hurtful for future credit decisions with NFCU?


Weird because mine reported about 2 weeks after I opened it and I had a balance, which was fine but just letting you know my experience with reporting. 


It's been 3 weeks since I opened and NFCU has not reported anything yet.

In the garden as of March 17, 2017.

Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Hilton Surpass $2K l Aviator Red $3.5K | Best Buy $3K | Amazon $6K | Chase $5K | BBVA $5K | UFCU $10K | NFCU $15K
New Contributor
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎02-26-2016
0

Re: Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?

I just doubled checked my myFICO alerts and my CLOC was opened 11/16/16 and reported 12/1/16 on TU as a new account, showing the balance and the credit line amount. 

 

Maybe they only report in certain months. I don't know...I just wanted you to know that 2 month thing might not be a sure thing in case that was a concern.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.