Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?

I want to always be in good standing with NFCU.  Therefore I wonder if I should do this.  I have a credit card with a balance of $2500.  I am able to pay it off in about 30 days.  In the meantime, since the credit card payment is due and it will report to credit agencies in a few days, I want to fully pay down the credit card using my NFCU cloc.  Then in about 30 days pay the cloc back to zero.  Doing this gets the credit card reported at zero in a few days and helps decrease my utilization faster (I won't elaborate but I need this to happen).  This will work because NFCU told me my new credit card and cloc won't report for 2 months (April 2017). Is using 1/2 of NFCU cloc hurtful for future credit decisions with NFCU?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Curious0ne
New Contributor

Re: Using 1/2 of NFCU CLOC frowned upon?

Not for me. I used my CLOC to pay off some debt and was using 65% of my max 15k. I also got a $12k CLI on my Cash Rewards card with that existing balance on my CLOC. That's just my personal experience. I pay on time and more than minimum. I utilize the credit that has been extended to me.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Curious0ne wrote:

Not for me. I used my CLOC to pay off some debt and was using 65% of my max 15k. I also got a $12k CLI on my Cash Rewards card with that existing balance on my CLOC. That's just my personal experience. I pay on time and more than minimum. I utilize the credit that has been extended to me.

Wonderful information!  Thanks!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Curious0ne wrote:

Wonderful information!  Thanks!

NFCU won't care one bit as long as you pay them and on time.

Message 4 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to always be in good standing with NFCU.  Therefore I wonder if I should do this.  I have a credit card with a balance of $2500.  I am able to pay it off in about 30 days.  In the meantime, since the credit card payment is due and it will report to credit agencies in a few days, I want to fully pay down the credit card using my NFCU cloc.  Then in about 30 days pay the cloc back to zero.  Doing this gets the credit card reported at zero in a few days and helps decrease my utilization faster (I won't elaborate but I need this to happen).  This will work because NFCU told me my new credit card and cloc won't report for 2 months (April 2017). Is using 1/2 of NFCU cloc hurtful for future credit decisions with NFCU?

No, temporarily using half of your NFCU CLOC credit limit would not be hurtful for future credit decisions.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks donny10 and southjamica.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU is not known for AA unless you're seriously delinquent on payments.  You'll be fine.

Message 7 of 11
ladybug2016
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This will work because NFCU told me my new credit card and cloc won't report for 2 months (April 2017). Is using 1/2 of NFCU cloc hurtful for future credit decisions with NFCU?

Weird because mine reported about 2 weeks after I opened it and I had a balance, which was fine but just letting you know my experience with reporting. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ladybug2016 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This will work because NFCU told me my new credit card and cloc won't report for 2 months (April 2017). Is using 1/2 of NFCU cloc hurtful for future credit decisions with NFCU?

Weird because mine reported about 2 weeks after I opened it and I had a balance, which was fine but just letting you know my experience with reporting. 

It's been 3 weeks since I opened and NFCU has not reported anything yet.

Message 9 of 11
ladybug2016
Regular Contributor

I just doubled checked my myFICO alerts and my CLOC was opened 11/16/16 and reported 12/1/16 on TU as a new account, showing the balance and the credit line amount. 

Maybe they only report in certain months. I don't know...I just wanted you to know that 2 month thing might not be a sure thing in case that was a concern.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.