Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning about Penfed - hard pull for savings account

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Warning about Penfed - hard pull for savings account

A warning about Penfed -- they did a hard pull on Equifax just for opening a savings account

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Warning about Penfed - hard pull for savings account

Standard practice. The hp is good for all products for 90 days. Sorry you weren't aware.
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nfcu also does this. I was shocked when I opened mine. I got 2 hps - one for the savings account and 1 for the credit card.  I asked on the forum and it appears standard for credit unions.

Message 3 of 26
Sharingan
Established Contributor

This most certainly is standard with PenFed. In fact, there is even a paragraph in the membership disclosure regarding this matter:

In addition, we will obtain a credit report from a consumer reporting agency prior to opening the following: Regular Share (savings) account, checking account, Money Market Savings Account, all loans and lines of credit, and all credit card products.

It is quite typical for many credit unions to perform an inquiry upon joining. 

Message 4 of 26
elim
Senior Contributor

Pretty sure that HP's good for 30 days on all credit products.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost all credit unions do a HP just to open a checking or savings account. BECU is the only one I know of that does not do so. (yay BECU!) Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Almost all credit unions do a HP just to open a checking or savings account. BECU is the only one I know of that does not do so. (yay BECU!) Smiley Happy

Alliant Credit Union doesn't do it, and doesn't even do it for the secured loans.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Alliant Credit Union doesn't do it, and doesn't even do it for the secured loans.

Best to check into a particular credit union's practices before applying. Smiley Happy  Always expect a HP, and be glad if a SP is the result! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Standard practice. The hp is good for all products for 90 days. Sorry you weren't aware.

Yeah I found out about that afterwards. So I went ahead and applied for their Promise card since there wasn't going to be another HP.

I was really intending to garden for all of 2016... now that's over Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 26
slicemans
Regular Contributor

Mine was a SP, YMMV

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.