@Anonymous wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

-snip-

Don't fret.  You are likely good to go.

Oh thank you, thank you! But now... UGH! Navy site says: 

FAMILY MEMBERS
including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren), and household members; Once your family members have joined, their family members are also eligible for membership.

Oh dear me. I know I've read this before, I guess my eyes saw what they wanted and assumed uncle/aunt on the list. But apparently, uncle/aunt not on the list... My parents are very strict with their banking/credit and I seriously doubt they would be willing to open up another account simply so I could take advantage of the wonderful NFCU. 

Has anyone ever heard of NFCU taking into consideration "extenuating circumstances?" aka based on their site language, is there any chance whatsoever for me to get in through uncle? Oh noes x 5. Smiley Sad

@Anonymous @ SkinMatters - wishing you the best luck! Please do keep the thread updated; very interested in how it works out for you!

I'm sure it would work if you're willing to marry your uncle.  (LOL)

Seriously, it is way easier to get credit from Navy than to get in.  As a matter of fact, if you state all the right things with Navy, you will get in, but they are ruthless in following up and checking to make sure you are truly eligible.  I mean we are talking DNA testing here.

If you say you want to get in through your uncle, it is not going to work.  Sorry.

Take out an ad on Match.com and dump your SO.  (I think a Navy relathionship is probably more valuable than a good spouse.  You can always divorce and find the one you want later - LOL).

Lol, I'll pass on the marrying of my uncle. 

The thing about it is, my SO has a dad retired USAF so he could get in through his dad - but his dad also "weird" about credit! argh! People! 

But I will take your words under strong advisement and put my boyf on notice - he's out! Smiley Happy 

@ Pizza - thanks for your input. I totally get it. I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in.

@ Jbsea: My birthday is pretty soon and my mom is fairly kind (she's a saint, actually) and it's her bro that's in with NFCU... so I'm betting (scratch that, HOPING AND PRAYING) that she will grant me this one wish. I will present it just as you said - a simple savings account that only needs $5 that I will pay ABSOLUTELY. It will be the convincing her it's not going to show up on her credit report or otherwise affect her credit situation that is practically impossible. (I said they were strict with banking/credit, not smart - although their credit scores are the closest to 850 I've ever seen)

THANKS GUYS!!!!

Fingers crossed for me guys and gals. 

All your BF's father has to do is open a $5 savings account.  That's it (Offer to fund it for him).  Your brother uses your dad member number to get in, but there is no connection between their accounts.  Dad can immediately close that $5 savings account once your BF is in.  I'm serious.

I did this with my brother to get into a CU (not Navy) that I could not get in.  It was easy.  He did it online, sent me his member number, I used it to get in, he closed his account.

I understand parents not wanting to get involved with credit, cosigning, etc.  Makes total sense.  But this is such a simple act of kindness for your BF that costs his father nothing but a few minutes of his time.

Tell your BF to ask his dad to do this in lieu of a birthday gift or something.

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Was advised to start my own thread about NFCU

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

-snip-

FAMILY MEMBERS
including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren), and household members; Once your family members have joined, their family members are also eligible for membership.

Oh dear me. I know I've read this before, I guess my eyes saw what they wanted and assumed uncle/aunt on the list. But apparently, uncle/aunt not on the list... My parents are very strict with their banking/credit and I seriously doubt they would be willing to open up another account simply so I could take advantage of the wonderful NFCU. 

Has anyone ever heard of NFCU taking into consideration "extenuating circumstances?" aka based on their site language, is there any chance whatsoever for me to get in through uncle? Oh noes x 5. Smiley Sad

@Anonymous @ SkinMatters - wishing you the best luck! Please do keep the thread updated; very interested in how it works out for you!

Seriously, it is way easier to get credit from Navy than to get in.  As a matter of fact, if you state all the right things with Navy, you will get in, but they are ruthless in following up and checking to make sure you are truly eligible.  I mean we are talking DNA testing here.

If you say you want to get in through your uncle, it is not going to work.  Sorry.

Take out an ad on Match.com and dump your SO.  (I think a Navy relathionship is probably more valuable than a good spouse.  You can always divorce and find the one you want later - LOL).

The thing about it is, my SO has a dad retired USAF so he could get in through his dad - but his dad also "weird" about credit! argh! People! 

But I will take your words under strong advisement and put my boyf on notice - he's out! Smiley Happy 

@ Pizza - thanks for your input. I totally get it. I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in.

@ Jbsea: My birthday is pretty soon and my mom is fairly kind (she's a saint, actually) and it's her bro that's in with NFCU... so I'm betting (scratch that, HOPING AND PRAYING) that she will grant me this one wish. I will present it just as you said - a simple savings account that only needs $5 that I will pay ABSOLUTELY. It will be the convincing her it's not going to show up on her credit report or otherwise affect her credit situation that is practically impossible. (I said they were strict with banking/credit, not smart - although their credit scores are the closest to 850 I've ever seen)

THANKS GUYS!!!!

All your BF's father has to do is open a $5 savings account.  That's it (Offer to fund it for him).  Your brother uses your dad member number to get in, but there is no connection between their accounts.  Dad can immediately close that $5 savings account once your BF is in.  I'm serious.

I did this with my brother to get into a CU (not Navy) that I could not get in.  It was easy.  He did it online, sent me his member number, I used it to get in, he closed his account.

I understand parents not wanting to get involved with credit, cosigning, etc.  Makes total sense.  But this is such a simple act of kindness for your BF that costs his father nothing but a few minutes of his time.

Spoke w/ the man of the house and he says he thinks he can persuade his pop. I read off some limits & scores from the approval section and he got a little more excited than he has been about it.

@I found out they pull EQ though - ugh! That's my worst report! Shows the same as TU (TU in the 700s) but for some reason EQ stuck @ 674. Anyway I can get them to pull EX? Or now I am just talking crazy and pushing my luck?

Message 12 of 21
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

-snip-

FAMILY MEMBERS

THANKS GUYS!!!!

Spoke w/ the man of the house and he says he thinks he can persuade his pop. I read off some limits & scores from the approval section and he got a little more excited than he has been about it.

@I found out they pull EQ though - ugh! That's my worst report! Shows the same as TU (TU in the 700s) but for some reason EQ stuck @ 674. Anyway I can get them to pull EX? Or now I am just talking crazy and pushing my luck?

They are known to hand out 5K limits to people with a 580 FICO.  674 is an excellent score with Navy.  Even if they don't give you the highest limit to start, you can wait like four months and hit the luv button and get huge increases.  Also you are advised to open up the LOC (Nav Check) upon opening your accounts with them.  Ask for the full 15K.  They seem to always give it.  I believe they have other cards too so if you aren't happy with your limits on card number 1, wait six or 9 months and go for card number 2.  It will be a higher limit.

There are people with 65K in limits on here.  I think 75K is their exposure.

Just don't ever default on Navy.  They play all nice when handing out credit but woe to the person that burns them.  They will hunt you down and kill you!

Message 13 of 21
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

-snip-

FAMILY MEMBERS

THANKS GUYS!!!!

They are known to hand out 5K limits to people with a 580 FICO.  674 is an excellent score with Navy.  Even if they don't give you the highest limit to start, you can wait like four months and hit the luv button and get huge increases.  Also you are advised to open up the LOC (Nav Check) upon opening your accounts with them.  Ask for the full 15K.  They seem to always give it.  I believe they have other cards too so if you aren't happy with your limits on card number 1, wait six or 9 months and go for card number 2.  It will be a higher limit.

Just don't ever default on Navy.  They play all nice when handing out credit but woe to the person that burns them.  They will hunt you down and kill you!

Once you are in with Navy, hit me up if you want to get married.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

-snip-

-snip-

-snip-

-snip

Once you are in with Navy, hit me up if you want to get married.

Well, seeing as how it has been my birthday for 26 minutes and I have not received a "happy birthday" because he is playing playstation - and for his birthday last year we had a full BIRTHDAY WEEK for him,

you are next on the list! Smiley Happy 

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, seeing as how it has been my birthday for 26 minutes and I have not received a "happy birthday" because he is playing playstation - and for his birthday last year we had a full BIRTHDAY WEEK for him,

you are next on the list! Smiley Happy 

Happy Birthday! 

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!!

And I realize I may sound like a brat with my previous comment... I am mostly joking! Smiley Happy

But still .. Hit me up Smiley Happy lol.

And yes I have received a happy bday from the Boyf!
Message 17 of 21
paris75
New Contributor

His dad doesn't need to join for your BF to join. He just needs his info. I got in through my father and he didnt have to join.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info! We wi look into it.
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

*will; can't edit on mobile?
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.