Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wells Fargo new account $250 bonus thru Feb 17

@Anonymous wrote:

@mrldp40 wrote:
How much did u put on amazon gift cards

varying amounts all under $1

like .50, .55, .60 etc...

Hi mrldp40.  TH's approach of recharging one's Amazon balance by 50 cents is a well tested solution to the problem of meeting the requirement to make X number of debit card transactions per month.

I am a huge bank bonus chaser and this is the method I always use.  I always make it for exactly 50 cents and I have never had a problem.

Doctor of Credit reported a year or two ago that Amazon has been known to temporarily freeze a person's account if he makes many tiny debit card transactions to the same merchant all on the same day.  (8 or more?)  Because of that, I always split my debit card transactions into two piles: 5 on one day and 5 three days later.  That may no longer really be necessary, but since Amazon did it to Chuck over at DoC, I tend to go out of my way not to trigger any weird action by Amazon.

Message 83 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mrldp40 wrote:
How much did u put on amazon gift cards

varying amounts all under $1

like .50, .55, .60 etc...

Hi mrldp40.  TH's approach of recharging one's Amazon balance by 50 cents is a well tested solution to the problem of meeting the requirement to make X number of debit card transactions per month.

I am a huge bank bonus chaser and this is the method I always use.  I always make it for exactly 50 cents and I have never had a problem.

Doctor of Credit reported a year or two ago that Amazon has been known to temporarily freeze a person's account if he makes many tiny debit card transactions to the same merchant all on the same day.  (8 or more?)  Because of that, I always split my debit card transactions into two piles: 5 on one day and 5 three days later.  That may no longer really be necessary, but since Amazon did it to Chuck over at DoC, I tend to go out of my way not to trigger any weird action by Amazon.

EXCELLENT tip, CreditGuy!  thanks for sharing that, I hope I didn't damage my Amazon account doing that - so far so good but I will keep a watchful eye and report back if that happens.

thanks again!

Message 84 of 185
mrldp40
Established Contributor

Thanks for the info
ready to start a rebuild ex 533 eq 518 tu 541
inquiries EQ 2 EX 0 TU 1 multiple charge off current card green dot secured 500
Message 85 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How does this work?  How do you receive the bonus?

The idea is that you open a checking account with the appropriate promotion code, fulfill some requirements listed in the promotion, and then the bank deposits some cash into your account.  Many banks do this.

But... it sounds like you would be applying well after Feb 1, and as I pointed out earlier in the thread, on the evening of Jan 31 Wells Fargo strengthened their "targeted only" language.  It is quite likely that a person who was NOT invited by WF to apply will NOT get the bonus -- if he applies on or after Feb 1.  So far we have in this thread no case studies of a person who applied after Feb 1 and whether that person got the bonus.

Here was my post earlier in the thread.  I posted this the morning of Feb 1.

==========

People who have not actually received their bonus yet, be aware that this may now not be a certain thing:  (Actually, as DoC observes, the targeted language was always there, and he warned about that early on, but the language has been strengthened.)

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/wells-fargo-250-checking-bonus-adds-new-targeted-language/

My guess is that anyone who's WF account was opened on or before Jan 30 will probably get the bonus (but not certain).

Opened on the 31st?  Or at least applied by the 31st?  Maybe 50-50.

Applied Feb 1 or later? Unlikely.

Message 86 of 185
rooeez
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How does this work?  How do you receive the bonus?

The idea is that you open a checking account with the appropriate promotion code, fulfill some requirements listed in the promotion, and then the bank deposits some cash into your account.  Many banks do this.

But... it sounds like you would be applying well after Feb 1, and as I pointed out earlier in the thread, on the evening of Jan 31 Wells Fargo strengthened their "targeted only" language.  It is quite likely that a person who was NOT invited by WF to apply will NOT get the bonus -- if he applies on or after Feb 1.  So far we have in this thread no case studies of a person who applied after Feb 1 and whether that person got the bonus.

Here was my post earlier in the thread.  I posted this the morning of Feb 1.

==========

People who have not actually received their bonus yet, be aware that this may now not be a certain thing:  (Actually, as DoC observes, the targeted language was always there, and he warned about that early on, but the language has been strengthened.)

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/wells-fargo-250-checking-bonus-adds-new-targeted-language/

My guess is that anyone who's WF account was opened on or before Jan 30 will probably get the bonus (but not certain).

Opened on the 31st?  Or at least applied by the 31st?  Maybe 50-50.

Applied Feb 1 or later? Unlikely.

Actually, the wording wasn't there. I have a screen grab before he first reported that they were cracking down on those without actual targeted emails and the language wasn't included.

| TCL = $360,850 | TU FICO 8: 790| EX FICO 8: 792| EQ FICO 8: 794|
Message 87 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened an account today online via the link and went into the branch,

The branch called online banking and confirmed the offer is tied to my account via the link without an offer code.  They also stated that I would be recieving the bonus once I meet all the requirements.  So while the language may be there, seems this is still alive even up to the last day.

Thanks. 

Message 88 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I opened an account today online via the link and went into the branch,

The branch called online banking and confirmed the offer is tied to my account via the link without an offer code.  They also stated that I would be recieving the bonus once I meet all the requirements.  So while the language may be there, seems this is still alive even up to the last day.

Thanks. 

Good to hear that, MCHouston.  Bear in mind, however, that you are basing this on what one customer service rep believes to be the case.  CSRs are often mistaken about their own institution's policies, especially when it is something really arcane, like the addition of language the intent of which is clearly to exclude new non-targeted applicants.

I think your report is very helpful.  It raises the possibility that maybe WF is backpedaling and has decided to honor all non-targeted applicants, even those who apply well after Feb 1.  We won't know that for sure, however, until we start to see people in your shoes actually getting the bonus.

Message 89 of 185
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rooeez wrote:

Actually, the wording wasn't there. I have a screen grab before he first reported that they were cracking down on those without actual targeted emails and the language wasn't included.

Hi Rooez.   Which language do you specifically have in mind and when was your screen grab taken?  On Jan 5 the DoC reported that the following language was present:

This is an exclusive, non-transferrable offer

This is the language banks often use when they want to later say that the offer was targeted (and therefore deny bonuses). The DoC noted this at the time and warned his readers that WF might later attempt to restrict it to targeted customers.  When I say that this language was always there, that's what I am talking about.

On January 31 the language was strengthened by WF to say:

This is an exclusive, non-transferrable offer available to those who received our direct mail or e-mail offer.

If you are saying that the additional clause wasn't present prior to Jan 31, that's certainly true. 

Message 90 of 185
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.