Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Valued Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo new account $250 bonus thru Feb 17

I would do this in a heartbeat if it was any other bank. WF made me feel like a criminal for trying to get access to my own money. Coupled with a long string of bad customer service incidents, I had to get away from them.

It's been difficult, because everyone I know banks with them, so transferring money used to be super quick and easy. Now, I have to educate people on how to associate an email address with their accounts, so I can send via email for free. 

BoA has been a much better experience overall. Even though I didn't get any bonuses for opening my checking account with them, I'm happier with the free-er access to my funds.

• WF limited my debit card purchases to $1,500 a day, and absolutely would not let me go over that. BoA doesn't care how I want to spend my money.
  • WF limited ATM withdrawls to $310 a day. Once I withdrew $1,600 in one day with my BoA debit card. 
  • WF wouldn't graduate my secured card after two years. BoA gave me a BBR card within 6 months of being a customer, and I'm currently preapproved for two other cards. 

The only thing I don't like about BoA is they are charging me a $5 fee for a replacement debit card. I might request a few free BBR replacements to get back at them. Smiley LOL

Admins need to fix the d@mn signatures.
Valued Contributor

DaveInAZ wrote:
wasCB14 wrote:
Good point about limiting what rogue employees can open. I chase banking/brokerage promotions, though, and often haven't needed to sign anything. For WF, it could be internal controls or a stricter adherence to regulations.

Yeah, I tend to chase banking promos as well, this will be my 4th within 2 years, netting me $1K total with this one. But I've kept all the accounts open except for Chase, I had an axe to grind with them and closed the account right after the 90 day requirement.

I'm not sure I'll keep WF open after the promo, I don't see any minimum requirement for keeping the account open. Wells Fargo is very hard to like, I banked with them from 1999-2010, closed after repeated issues. The worst was when I lived in Las Vegas. I was rolling over an old 401k and ran it through my WF account. I go into my regular branch with a check for $42k. The teller looked at me like I was trying to rob her, and walks over to the manager without saying a word. They talk & keep looking up at me like they were trying to decide whether to call the cops. Teller comes back, doesn't say a word, and starts to make a phone call. I ask her what's going on & she tells me she's calling the other bank to make sure the check is good. I tell her I'm not cashing the check, just depositing it, and I expect there to be a hold on the funds, and my account has been open for 7 years with never any returned items or any other issues. She says the manager told her to call & make sure the check was good before she could accept it & give me a deposit receipt. The other bank apparently tells her it is fine, and she hands me a receipt with a 10 business day hold on all funds. I question the 10 day hold, and she says it's a "special hold" for "suspicious activity". I ask "So, everyone depositing a sizable check is automatically suspicious?" She shrugs and looks past me at the person next in line, obviously wanting me to go away. Oh, and I don't know if all WF branches have this, but in Vegas tellers are behind a 1" thick obviously bullet proof Plexiglas barrier, not terribly inviting. 

I imagine Vegas has more Bernie Maddoff wannabes than other cities, but not exactly the way to make your customers feel appreciated. I was going to roll the $$$ into a WF retirement account, I decided to roll it over elsewhere.

I can corroborate your Vegas experiences. Rude customer service, treated like a criminal, plexiglass windows - all very unwelcoming! My least favorite branch was on Green Valley and Sunset. An obviously-reformed drug user was the teller I usually got stuck with. She would treat everything I did as suspicious, like I was holding out on her Smiley LOL

Established Contributor

If that's how they treat customers who walk in with $42k checks, it's no wonder they don't get a lot of them!

That would probably be enough to drive me away as a customer. I've deposited comparable checks at Chase without a word or funny look. They were happy to let me deposit that kind of money into an account that paid virtually no interest!

I closed the account at Chase (I had enough accounts and promotions going on) but may go back.

CarefulBuilder14 had some trouble resetting his password.
Dabbling in SPG wizardry.
Established Contributor

Does anyone know if WF will accept the opening deposit from a credit card?

BK7 Discharged 4/27/2016 - Fico 8 as of 05/18/2017: EX 655 / TU 660 / EQ 676 - Follow my Journey Here
Established Contributor

TygerHawke wrote:

Yes, they will.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hokies2379 wrote:

TygerHawke wrote:

Yes, they will.

FYI, maximum of $50 via credit or debit card. As I recall, max was $100 for ACH from a bank account (minimum of $25 to open account from any source). I wasn't sure if it would be charged as a cash advance on a CC & incure a fee & interest, so I used the debit card from my BoA account.

FICO Scores: TU 720, EQ 688, EX 688
Contributor

I hate banking with the big banks after my own problems with how they handled accounts and charged fees for everything. I do take some responsibility for being less informed though. However, with WF and Chase both giving these sign-up bonuses I'm going to open some new accounts and take their free money. ha

| TCL = $144,600 | TU FICO 8: 770 | EX FICO 8: 747 | EQ FICO 8 (Bankcard): 743 | Gardening Since: 1/23/17
Established Contributor

deebee, why are you not with a Credit Union paying for a debit card is absurd!! I just completed my 10 debit card transactions by reloading my amazon gift card balance with $1.01, $1.02, etc so it was a different amount in case their system tracked that too. Hoping that they credit me the $250 sooner than 45 days! I am gonna close this account as soon as I can without a penalty. Also I did get the paperwork in the mail to sign and mail back today too, super easy not a big deal. I already had online access and initiated an ACH transfer to hopefully get the Chase Bonus as well $550 here I come!

Valued Contributor

tydawg wrote:

deebee, why are you not with a Credit Union paying for a debit card is absurd!! I just completed my 10 debit card transactions by reloading my amazon gift card balance with $1.01, $1.02, etc so it was a different amount in case their system tracked that too. Hoping that they credit me the $250 sooner than 45 days! I am gonna close this account as soon as I can without a penalty. Also I did get the paperwork in the mail to sign and mail back today too, super easy not a big deal. I already had online access and initiated an ACH transfer to hopefully get the Chase Bonus as well $550 here I come!

I am a sucker for being able to deposit cash. There are only a few local credit unions here in Reno, NV, and none of them have great products. 

Nationwide big-business banks have their pitfalls, but for the most part I've been very satisfied with BoA. 

Established Contributor

Just a quick update for everybody with a DP confirming that this does work and it is not exclusively targeted, I just got credited $250!! Will be closing the account out in a few days. 

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.