Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do?

tag
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

What do I do?

image.jpegHi everybody, I'm just here to ask the question on whether this will clear into my checking account or not?. I did a drywall job that took about a day, and a client of mine wrote me a personal check. It did not clear and I got charged for a returned item fee! I was upset... I told him to pay up and he said he already sent me another check... Now I get this and it's from US Bank and it's a check that doesn't look personal?. What should I do? I don't want too many returned item fees..

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: What do I do?

go to us bank and cash it.

Message 2 of 7
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

They'll let me cash it??
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditplz wrote:
They'll let me cash it??

They'll probably charge you a $5-$10 fee to cash it if you're not a customer, and they will require two forms of government-issued ID, but they should let you cash it.  A number of  banks allow you to cash a check drawn on their bank if you pay a fee and if you have usually two forms of government-issued ID. Hope it works out. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a check generated through online bill pay. Very common (for a bank to see) and not unusual to be drawn off a different bank than the one the remitter banks at. Most banks outsource their online banking/bill pay to a few large providers who use one bank for all checks. 

Message 5 of 7
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I called US Bank and it was a bill pay check, they transferred me about 3 times but eventually told me the check will clear, they made it seem like it would only clear on overdraft but as long as it clears I'm okay with it..
Message 6 of 7
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Yes, bill pay checks are different depending on the bank.  Typically this acts just like the user writing a personal check and the funds are not removed from the account until the the check is present back to the bank.  Most banks do this so I would probably go ahead and take it to a US Bank if you have one in the area and cash it, even if there is a fee because at least that fee would likely be smaller than the Return Check fee your bank may be charging.

Chartway is one of the only banks that I know when you do a bill pay, even if they are sending a paper check, they immediately remove the funds from the account and then the "check" is drawn off of one of the bank's checks and makes their bill pay send certified funds.  Best of luck with getting this taken care of.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.