cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you guys use to stay on top of your finances?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you guys use to stay on top of your finances?

Curious to know what everyone else uses to keep track of their finances. Lately I've been using Mint. It's great because they have pretty much every account and detail you can link up to see everything in one place, and set up budgets and everything. Gives you a FAKO score which in my experience is significantly lower than my FICO's. Otherwise an awesome app/website though. What do you guys use? Another app/service or just pen and paper?

13 REPLIES 13
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: What do you guys use to stay on top of your finances?

I use Quicken for enter all of my accounts and finances.  I am a big fan of manually entering all of my transactions as it gives me the chance to check the transaction and make sure it was the correct amount and one that I put through.

I utilize a spreadsheet for my budget as I find it works easier for my needs.  It includes my bills and income to make sure I'm not over spending each month.  It also identifies each of my paychecks, and since I am paid every 2 weeks, it identifies my 2 "extra" paychecks per year that I use a lump sum to pay down principal on a particular bill.  Just having a clear vision of my future finances helps to keep me on track.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tazman81 wrote:

I use Quicken for enter all of my accounts and finances.  I am a big fan of manually entering all of my transactions as it gives me the chance to check the transaction and make sure it was the correct amount and one that I put through.

I utilize a spreadsheet for my budget as I find it works easier for my needs.  It includes my bills and income to make sure I'm not over spending each month.  It also identifies each of my paychecks, and since I am paid every 2 weeks, it identifies my 2 "extra" paychecks per year that I use a lump sum to pay down principal on a particular bill.  Just having a clear vision of my future finances helps to keep me on track.

Nice. I'm far too lazy to do that sadly. But sounds beneficial. I tried using some templates, but so many things go on the cards it's almost impossible for me to sit and log each and every one lol. I tried Myfico's but the user interface is pretty clunky...lol

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use iBank, which is similar to Quicken. I also like to enter everything myself. I plan a detailed budget six to eight months ahead. I only began doing that after my Chapter 13 because my finances were so "tight." Now I do it because I am addicted to budgeting. Bankruptcy changed me. In a good way. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I use iBank, which is similar to Quicken. I also like to enter everything myself. I plan a detailed budget six to eight months ahead. I only began doing that after my Chapter 13 because my finances were so "tight." Now I do it because I am addicted to budgeting. Bankruptcy changed me. In a good way. 

Yeah, after two terrible car deals, and me not being able to qualify for any credit led to me keeping a tighter track on my finances. Sometimes bad experiences are for the best!Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Yes, I became obsessed to keep my finances in order after my bankrutcy.  What's interesting is that I made a payment to Verizon, and what they credited to my account was 10cents less than the amount of my payment.  I called in, and the lady acted like it was no big deal.  She said "Sir, it's only 10 cents".  I snapped back and told her it's my dime, I paid it, and I want it credited to my account.  I would not have seen that if I had not been manually reconciling my account.  So, I'm sure that may have been a unique experience, but to this day, I know where every penny of my money goes.  This helps me to make sure I'm putting the amount that I need into savings, and I continue to live within my means.  I am also able to do future predictions like some of the other posters have said.

And for clarity, I only use the spreadsheets to show a monthly budget along with identify what my payments are.  And then I use Quicken to enter each individual transaction for credit cards, savings, CD, IRA, and checking.  I do have it download my investments for my 401k through work because those transactions are pretty complex.

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 6 of 14
wa3more
Established Contributor

im with Taz, been a Quicken user for over 20 years, even for budgets. I use excel to create other financial models for real estate/investments.

Data can also be downloaded into Quicken from bank/cc accounts i believe.

My 27 YO son uses Mint, seems to like it.

Message 7 of 14
someone379
Regular Contributor

I use YNAB, although I am still on the YNAB Classic (v4)...

I use YNAB, although I am still on the YNAB Classic (v4) - I tried using the new web based version and just didn't like the change... That said, if I was starting without having used anything I would still recommend the product.   It doesnt track everything but it is one hell of a good budgeting program that helps me keep tabs on all my credit cards.

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use a spreadsheet with tabs, on that I track the cards, balances, due dates, statement closing dates, utilization per card and as a full. I also have a tab in there for accounts I'm AU on so I know where I stand on those too. I'm a bit obsessive on seeing everything in one place. Then I use Mint (was using Mint Bills too but they are shuttering that at the end of this month) for quick all over access to everything and marking actual payments that way I can see due dates on the calendar. For actually keeping up with everything for if or when I don't have internet access I have Quicken.

Message 9 of 14
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Sounds like you have all of the scenarios covered.  As part of my spreadsheet, I also look at my student loan balances and determine which ones I am going to tackle next.  Although I know not the best way to do it for interest over the long term, I typically tackle the one with the lowest balance first, get it paid off, and then that allows me to have additional free income during the month.  And I just apply that to the next loan.  It's been working and keeps me motivated because I see loans getting paid off.  This was one of the reasons that I never consolidated.  I found that I could get to a lower monthly payment faster, by paying off the loans one by one, starting out with a bigger monthly expense to start with, but over time gradually causing that monthly expense to decrease.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.