cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the easiest way to start saving?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the easiest way to start saving?

@Anonymous wrote:

When I was your age (six years ago) I had difficulties in saving money too. 

Who do you bank with? 

Bank of America has a program called "keep the change" where they'll automatically round up your debit card purchases to the next dollar (ex: a $4.51 purchase will invisibly round up to $5) and they'll take the $0.49 and put it in your savings account.  Wells Fargo has a program called Way2Save which transfers $1 per debit card purchase from your checking account to your savings account. 

If you want to balance your checking account then use a transaction register. Debit card purchases are basically plastic, electronic checks, and the same goes for ACH transfers. Fill out the transaction register after every purchase, direct deposit/ACH transfer so you'll know how much money you really have in your checking account. Never rely on what the bank's computer tells you. 

I have an app called Checkbook which is a super simple checkbook register. Easy to log purchases right after making them since your phone is about always on you.

I actually log every purchase made on credit cards also . . keeping an eye on the balances helps keep my spending in check vs. getting the credit card statement and being all WHAT DID I SPEND $XXXX.XX ON LAST MONTH?!!?

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When I was your age (six years ago) I had difficulties in saving money too. 

Who do you bank with? 

Bank of America has a program called "keep the change" where they'll automatically round up your debit card purchases to the next dollar (ex: a $4.51 purchase will invisibly round up to $5) and they'll take the $0.49 and put it in your savings account.  Wells Fargo has a program called Way2Save which transfers $1 per debit card purchase from your checking account to your savings account. 

If you want to balance your checking account then use a transaction register. Debit card purchases are basically plastic, electronic checks, and the same goes for ACH transfers. Fill out the transaction register after every purchase, direct deposit/ACH transfer so you'll know how much money you really have in your checking account. Never rely on what the bank's computer tells you. 

I have an app called Checkbook which is a super simple checkbook register. Easy to log purchases right after making them since your phone is about always on you.

I actually log every purchase made on credit cards also . . keeping an eye on the balances helps keep my spending in check vs. getting the credit card statement and being all WHAT DID I SPEND $XXXX.XX ON LAST MONTH?!!?

I used to use Quicken but I like the paper version better. I guess it's because I think about where my money is going more. 

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like you're on the right track. Though I highly encourage using a cashback card when you have the discipline.

Are you familiar with Excel? This is what I do for each credit card (Similar for bank accounts):

Then I have a summary tab that shows the balances of each card and account. I have formulas such as Checking Balance - Credit Card Balances to show my personal available balance. This way I operate just the same as if I were using a debit card, but get cash back.

As for savings, I always take a chunk from my paycheck and transfer it over to savings the day it gets deposited. I keep the confirmation numbers and amounts in my "check register" Excel tab and everything links to each other (I'll be happy to help with any formulas if you want to PM me).

I really like this idea!!  I know that this was not directed at me, but thanks so much for posting this! 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saving or investing? If you save you money under the mattress you'll not increase your income. You said you had 28k. Imagine you have twice a lot. Taking into consideration your risk tolerance, goals and the sum of money you can invest, you may  choose the best investing way, that will be a great choice for you and provide you with desirable profit with a minimum risk.

Message 14 of 16
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am 20 years old and have a good job for my age. I am a college student, and still live at home. i do have a problem with learning how to balance my budgets and saving my money. I need more help trying to. I feel like credit cards get in my way, but I now have paid down all of my balances to 0 and feel really good about it but I feel like it has drained me. Any advice on how to save more money?

I make like 28,000 a year, and only have to pay for gas and phone bill so I am extremely lucky. I am now more relying on my debit card then credit cards and I think that is starting to help me out a lot.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

- In the 30s, a saying became popular: "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." This is still good advice today. People are quick to replace items before they're really worn out, and those costs add up. People trade in 3 year old cars for a newer model rather than driving them until the wheels fall off. People buy more food than they need and throw away the excess when it spoils, or even before it spoils. Simply being more efficient with what you buy and use will save a ton of money just by itself.

- A person can live comfortably in 300 square feet of house, two people can live comfortably in 600 square feet of house, and so on. Children under 5 count as 0 for this (that is, 2 adults and a baby can live in 600 square feet). This is particularly true where I live, but it applies elsewhere as well. People turn their noses at smaller homes and end up spending every penny they have on a bigger home because they think they need a big house with an "open concept" kitchen and stainless steel appliances and all that other HGTV garbage. It's gotten in their heads, which is a good segueway to...

- Realize just how hostile marketing, consumerism, and competition are to living within one's means. Don't watch ads, or at least don't act on them. Don't let emotion get in the way (marketing loves to goad or guilt you into buying things). The world wants to take your money; don't let it.

Once you are living beneath your means and saving money, be proud of it. People will question why you have money in the bank but don't have a fancy house or car or clothing. Those people are called idiots and you shouldn't listen to them. 

People buying too much house is a HUGE reason they get into financial trouble.  My wife has the same tastes in houses as you described above, but thankfully she's also financially frugal.  We are looking at moving in the next year or two, and she keeps showing me all these expensive houses with huge kitchens and giant master bedrooms, and then I work out the numbers, and say "Well, even with a loan requiring only 5% down, we'd have to come up with $20,000 cash AND would have loan payments somewhere around $2,000 a month.  Can we afford it?  Technically, yes... but I've finally gotten away from living paycheck to paycheck with less than 3 months of emergency funds, and I DON'T want to go back there!

I don't think its necessarily bad to trade in used cards for something new - that's how people with less money get quality used cars to purchase.  The problem comes in when people put $1,000 on their car, then trade it in three years later and have to PAY at the trade in because they are upside down in the loan.

To your last point, I know exactly that feeling...  Since I graduated from my paycheck-to-paycheck with no savings life, I still don't go on vacations nearly as much as people who have less money than I do, and I am perfectly happy going to the family cabin in Northern Wisconsin.  I don't need to go to the Bahamas for Florida every year.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dalmus wrote:

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am 20 years old and have a good job for my age. I am a college student, and still live at home. i do have a problem with learning how to balance my budgets and saving my money. I need more help trying to. I feel like credit cards get in my way, but I now have paid down all of my balances to 0 and feel really good about it but I feel like it has drained me. Any advice on how to save more money?

I make like 28,000 a year, and only have to pay for gas and phone bill so I am extremely lucky. I am now more relying on my debit card then credit cards and I think that is starting to help me out a lot.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

- In the 30s, a saying became popular: "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." This is still good advice today. People are quick to replace items before they're really worn out, and those costs add up. People trade in 3 year old cars for a newer model rather than driving them until the wheels fall off. People buy more food than they need and throw away the excess when it spoils, or even before it spoils. Simply being more efficient with what you buy and use will save a ton of money just by itself.

- A person can live comfortably in 300 square feet of house, two people can live comfortably in 600 square feet of house, and so on. Children under 5 count as 0 for this (that is, 2 adults and a baby can live in 600 square feet). This is particularly true where I live, but it applies elsewhere as well. People turn their noses at smaller homes and end up spending every penny they have on a bigger home because they think they need a big house with an "open concept" kitchen and stainless steel appliances and all that other HGTV garbage. It's gotten in their heads, which is a good segueway to...

- Realize just how hostile marketing, consumerism, and competition are to living within one's means. Don't watch ads, or at least don't act on them. Don't let emotion get in the way (marketing loves to goad or guilt you into buying things). The world wants to take your money; don't let it.

Once you are living beneath your means and saving money, be proud of it. People will question why you have money in the bank but don't have a fancy house or car or clothing. Those people are called idiots and you shouldn't listen to them. 

People buying too much house is a HUGE reason they get into financial trouble.  My wife has the same tastes in houses as you described above, but thankfully she's also financially frugal.  We are looking at moving in the next year or two, and she keeps showing me all these expensive houses with huge kitchens and giant master bedrooms, and then I work out the numbers, and say "Well, even with a loan requiring only 5% down, we'd have to come up with $20,000 cash AND would have loan payments somewhere around $2,000 a month.  Can we afford it?  Technically, yes... but I've finally gotten away from living paycheck to paycheck with less than 3 months of emergency funds, and I DON'T want to go back there!

I don't think its necessarily bad to trade in used cards for something new - that's how people with less money get quality used cars to purchase.  The problem comes in when people put $1,000 on their car, then trade it in three years later and have to PAY at the trade in because they are upside down in the loan.

To your last point, I know exactly that feeling...  Since I graduated from my paycheck-to-paycheck with no savings life, I still don't go on vacations nearly as much as people who have less money than I do, and I am perfectly happy going to the family cabin in Northern Wisconsin.  I don't need to go to the Bahamas for Florida every year.

I think it's throwing a lot of $$ away on interest and depreciation. Since my car has been paid off, I haven't had to make $20,400 in payments. That's just insane to me. Sure I've spent about $2k on mechanical repairs/maintenance and another $500 on some upholstery work. So I'm still $17,900 ahead of where I would have been had I bought another car and continued making my old payment all of this time.

While I think the most financially sound method would be to buy a different $10k cash car every year or so and selling the previous one for what you bought it for, I do like knowing the history of my car. What's been fixed, what might go wrong, that kind of stuff.

So I don't have fancy electronics, bluetooth, navigation etc. (I still use the CD player in my car. LOL.) I'll like that stuff when I *do* have to buy a new car, but my current one is mechanically sound, everything works, and I'd trust it on a 3,000 mile roadtrip in an instant. Til the time comes I will just save for the next car that will last me 15 years.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.