cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's "Normal" for Check Holds These Days?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: What's "Normal" for Check Holds These Days?

@Anonymous wrote:

According to Regulation CC there are many different types of check holds and its banks discretion. At US Bank for instance Reg CC inconsistent information can place a check under a hold for 7 days in its entirety. Change in Activity puts a 2 day hold. Over 5 k is 4800 available in 2 days the rest 5 days but 200 is always available right away. It really depends on your relationship with that financial institution. 

+1

I agree; I've read up quite a bit on Reg CC (due to all the 'hoopla' on the USAA community board I wanted to understand what the fuss was about, especially with mobile deposits) and you're exactly right... there are quite a few ways the banks can hold funds if they really want to.  I also agree that even with all the automation, relationship makes a big difference (as with many things, it's "who you know"... LOL).

What I've found most interesting is the $200 available right away seems to be the 'norm' with most banks, and that was my experience last year (the last time I deposited a 'sizeable' check).  This time around they let me have $400 right away (if I had wanted it) so I guess they like me more now than they used to... LOL.

Note:  I checked my balance with Wells early this morning; by 4AM Eastern time the hold was already released and all funds were available.  No complaints from me at all!  Smiley Very Happy

Edited to add:  Just checked my Citi account, the check is already 'pending' with them.  Talk about fast!  Now that I've got the "all clear" I can do my ACH transfer to USAA.  I didn't expect any problems, but I tend to be a bit paranoid with things such as this, especially when multiple banks are involved and one 'glitch' can impact them all.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's "Normal" for Check Holds These Days?

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

According to Regulation CC there are many different types of check holds and its banks discretion. At US Bank for instance Reg CC inconsistent information can place a check under a hold for 7 days in its entirety. Change in Activity puts a 2 day hold. Over 5 k is 4800 available in 2 days the rest 5 days but 200 is always available right away. It really depends on your relationship with that financial institution. 

+1

I agree; I've read up quite a bit on Reg CC (due to all the 'hoopla' on the USAA community board I wanted to understand what the fuss was about, especially with mobile deposits) and you're exactly right... there are quite a few ways the banks can hold funds if they really want to.  I also agree that even with all the automation, relationship makes a big difference (as with many things, it's "who you know"... LOL).

What I've found most interesting is the $200 available right away seems to be the 'norm' with most banks, and that was my experience last year (the last time I deposited a 'sizeable' check).  This time around they let me have $400 right away (if I had wanted it) so I guess they like me more now than they used to... LOL.

Note:  I checked my balance with Wells early this morning; by 4AM Eastern time the hold was already released and all funds were available.  No complaints from me at all!  Smiley Very Happy

There are also holds called repeated overdraft holds so if someone has been negative in their account before they are more likely to have that hold placed. Altered check holds are for checks where the maker made a mistake writing it out as well. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.