Did you mean: 

What should I do with my extra $$?

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: What should I do with my extra $$?

@Anonymous wrote:

I would agree with many of the posts above, namely:

-Invest what you can in accounts where you receive a tax advantage such as a Roth IRA and 529 plan

-Take the funds in your IRA and individual brokerage and put the majority in an S&P 500 index fund. I have always been a fan, listen to the recent Planet Money episode (NPR show) where they discuss the bet ($1MM bet) Warren Buffet made that he could outperform any hedge fund in 2008 over a ten year period. They are now 8 years in and Warren is up forty something percent while the hedge fund is up twenty something. 

-Put some funds aside in a liquid online savings account. They don't earn much but it sure is better than a brick and mortar bank. You are far too young to put it all in type of account, follow the rule of 6-8 months of expenses. 

-Check out alternative investments like lending club/prosper for a small portion of the funds. I have been an investor with lending club for about 2 years now and have averaged an 11% return in that time. I have had charged off loans but you know that will happen going in. 

-If you do use an advisor (you can do a lot yourself online, never hurts to educate yourself on the options) definitely seek out a fee based advisor. The advisor I usually recommend actually uses TD Ameritrade for his clients so they hardly pay any fees for trades. 

Would you happen to have any suggestions for a S&P 500 index fund or funds?

thanks for some suggestions

Message 11 of 25
wa3more
Established Contributor

I think Vangard has the reputation for the index fund with the lowest fees.

Message 12 of 25
jbell255

Thanks for all the replies! I'll have to read up more on these to get better informed.  My 401k is set up as a target date fund so it's more aggressive right now... should I contribute more than I currently am? (10% plus 3% match) It has averaged around 11% over the last couple of years....

One of my banks is USAA and I really like them for their customer service.  They offer investments as well so I'll give them a call and see what type of offerings they have.... sounds like an index fund has been suggested a couple times here.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

How close are you on the 401k max out?

Message 14 of 25
wa3more
Established Contributor

stay away from banks and any investments they may have. Index funds at a discount broker like TD Ameritrade or Fidelity is what you want ?

Message 15 of 25
oracles
Valued Contributor

Are there any particular index fund or funds I should look at and if so do you have the symbol?

thanks for the suggestions

Message 16 of 25
wa3more
Established Contributor

VFINX is sumbol for vanguard index

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Three-fund_portfolio 

This helped me out, it may help you too. Currently I do a two-fund porfolio, and am not investing in bonds. This is due to my relativily young age. The two funds I buy are VTSMX & VGTSX. I imagine at some point I will branch out into a few other funds, but these two will always be my core holdings. 

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Profit for paying down the mortgage is 4.05% and it is guaranteed. Profit on investments is not guaranteed. Actually it can be a loss like for past 1.5 year indexes/most mutual funds.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at average returns for 20 and 30 year time periods for the S&P 500 you'll find it was 11.22% and 11.24% respectively. Will there be times that it will be down/significantly down, of course. But if the OP is in this for the long haul they have the power of time and dollar cost averaging on their side.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.