cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with cash balance pension?

tag
drd1170

What to do with cash balance pension?

My employer is getting rid of the cash balance pension program, in which my current balance is about $3,000 (haven't worked there that long). We have several options, including transferring to our 401k or cashing out (the main two I'm interested in).

How bad is the tax penalty for cashing out? I certainly would think of doing this at all if it was a much higher amount of money, and to be honest, my husband and I recently purchased a home and wouldn't mind extra cash to pay for furniture and whatnot.

Or...

Someone just tell me I'm being hasty talk me out of it! Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to do with cash balance pension?

Sorry, I have no clue, but I am sure others can help you. Good luck with your decision.

Message 2 of 4
Credit_Sleuth
Established Member

I would look into seeing if you are eligable to roll it over into a ROTH IRA or Traditional IRA and use it as a secondary retirment account to your 401k. Additionally you will be able to have many more investment options depending on the brokerage you choose.

Message 3 of 4
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@drd1170 wrote:
My employer is getting rid of the cash balance pension program, in which my current balance is about $3,000 (haven't worked there that long). We have several options, including transferring to our 401k or cashing out (the main two I'm interested in).

How bad is the tax penalty for cashing out? I certainly would think of doing this at all if it was a much higher amount of money, and to be honest, my husband and I recently purchased a home and wouldn't mind extra cash to pay for furniture and whatnot.

Or...

Someone just tell me I'm being hasty talk me out of it! Smiley Very Happy

Not sure if a pension is treated as pre-tax funds. If you're not 59.5, there could be a 10% penalty ontop of the taxes. If you could stave off spending it and, instead, adding it to your 401K, you would thank yourself later. Ask your tax advisor to be sure what the ramifications include.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.