Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with my Discover Checking Account

tag
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Re: What to do with my Discover Checking Account

I really like my Discover Savings for all the interest $$ it's given me so I'm keeping that for sure. I had $3 in bill pay cash back that posted Dec 1.

I still have my black checking card! I never even got a notice about the cards getting changed. I never even used it I did it for the online cash back for bill paying. I noticed on the online account it shows that little new debit card picture but I didn't know they actually made it.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your card has a chip, then you will be able to use your black debit card until it expires and then you will be forced into the new blue design you are seeing online.

If your black debit card doesn't have a chip, then Discover will deactivate it without asking you and then send you a secured message saying they sent you the new card--which will be the new blue design.

The latter is what happened to me. Regardless of which route you take, they are MAKING us take the new blue design with the terrible rewards.

I agree with the savings account. If I had one with Discover I probably would have kept it as well but I only had their credit card and checking account so I am getting rid of the checking account since it's worthless now Smiley Sad

@SkyCommander wrote:

I really like my Discover Savings for all the interest $$ it's given me so I'm keeping that for sure. I had $3 in bill pay cash back that posted Dec 1.

I still have my black checking card! I never even got a notice about the cards getting changed. I never even used it I did it for the online cash back for bill paying. I noticed on the online account it shows that little new debit card picture but I didn't know they actually made it.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Terrible rewards is a bit of an overreaction. 

Most people don't play the credit card rewards game like us, so it's actually a great rewards system for the masses. 

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I standby what I said "terrible rewards." There is a reason why majority of the people are getting rid of their checking account with Discover and I don't think they are "overreacting."

However, it sounds like their new rewards system is working for you which is awesome! I'm glad someone got a early holiday present out of the new changes Smiley Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

Terrible rewards is a bit of an overreaction. 

Most people don't play the credit card rewards game like us, so it's actually a great rewards system for the masses. 

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have a Discover checking account but may think about getting one. 

Unless you have numbers to back up "the majority of people" getting rid of the account, I can't take your word for it. 

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not here to argue or to provide substantiation that is easily available for anyone who searches for it. Instead I will say congratulations, if you decide to get a checking account, and thanks for contributing to the conversation Smiley Happy

Cheers!

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have a Discover checking account but may think about getting one. 

Unless you have numbers to back up "the majority of people" getting rid of the account, I can't take your word for it. 

Message 16 of 17
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I've decided to keep my checking account. I sent them a secured message to mail me the new chip enabled card. I'm only leaving a few dollars in it to collect digital dust. More so keeping it for emergency purposes and I can always transfer money quickly out of my savings.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.