cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What useful benefits does NFCU have?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: What useful benefits does NFCU have?

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
Wow. Minski you don't have to be afraid of NFCU. They are one of the most generous CUs out there. Especially to those rebuilding. But, it is no secret that they are meaner than a junkyard dog if you don't pay your bills. They are the largest and richest CU in the country. And they take protecting their assets very seriously. But, as long as you pay your bills, you will be fine. Many of us here have been members for years and have had nothing but phenomenal service.

Yep. I read through dozens of those negative reviews, and most are people blaming NFCU for their own mistakes. One example: Guy opens checking account, deposits checks, withdraws money, and some of the deposited checks then bounce, putting him in overdraft. Checking account was shut down since it was brand new, and a very common fraud is to open an account deposit checks, withdraw the money and vanish. And this is NFCU's fault?

+1

I looked though a couple of pages there, and I agree, I had to really struggle to find something that even "might" be the fault of NFCU.

Some of the mortgage concerns might (?) have some validity, but from my past life in real estate I can say that there are so many moving parts to a new mortgage that issues are not uncommon in any case, especially when a non-local originator is used... that's hardly unique to NFCU.

Even after reading the 'scuttlebutt', I think I'll "take my chances" with NFCU.  Smiley Wink

Which complaints have you read that has some validity? I'm curious.

Like I stated, some of the complaints related to new mortgages might (?) have some validity.  The main complaint with regard to mortgages seemed to be the member having a difficult time reaching the proper person within NFCU and delays resulting from that.  While this is common with many mortgage companies it's certainly a valid complaint, IMO. 

Note that I stated "may"... any complaint board will of course by it's very nature be one-sided.  I'm simply willing to give those the benefit of the doubt. 

I have much less patience when somebody causes their own grief then complains about it.  I'm not without empathy... 'back in the day' I had a run in a couple of times with calculation errors (my own) and deposit holds, but when it happened I owned it, I didn't go online and try to blame it on the bank.

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Which complaints have you read that has some validity? I'm curious.

@UncleB wrote:

Like I stated, some of the complaints related to new mortgages might (?) have some validity.  The main complaint with regard to mortgages seemed to be the member having a difficult time reaching the proper person within NFCU and delays resulting from that.  While this is common with many mortgage companies it's certainly a valid complaint, IMO. 

Note that I stated "may"... any complaint board will of course by it's very nature be one-sided.  I'm simply willing to give those the benefit of the doubt. 

Agree with UncleB here. Regarding the issue of not getting people to call you back to help you, we also saw this happen here with myfico member palmdale. That's a legitimate concern, certainly, and not related to anything the member did.

I also noticed a few complaints from servicemembers who retired from the military and had accounts locked up on them a year after becoming a member.

Now, I don't run a large financial instituition nor am I privy to how difficult it is to do so. I also understand the large amount of fraud and suspect activity that Navy Federal has to deal with when people try to become members. But when I read several accounts of retired military members having their accounts locked up on them a year after becoming members for issues that are not fraud, and for issues that don't have to deal with member eligibility questions (those would be fully understandable), it does make one think.

More than one person was told by a Navy Federal representative to drive 8 hours one way to a branch in another state to get their issue resolved. That just makes no sense and shows that the representative isn't even thinking.

There are always two sides to any complaint, and people by nature tend to favor their own side when describing an issue. But I myself have seen that there could be a better level of organization to some of the things that Navy Federal does. I love them and am happy to be in with them, but their business practices could at times use some fine tuning. Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that we've joined one of the most prestigious credit unions in the US, are there any benefits of having an account besides all the financial stuff they offer online or in branch? For example, can I get discounted meals at Denny's or stuff of this nature if I'm in NFCU? Something like being an AARP member, but for being an NFCU member instead.

paperchasers, this membermall feature may be another feature you were inquiring about in terms of discounts:

https://www.navyfederal.org/membership-benefits/offers-discounts/member-mall.php

Thanks for this, but I was looking for discounts that are given to NFCU members just for being in the organization.

Those are member discounts..................

Yes, I see that, but I'd have to spend money to get those discounts. I mentioned 2 lines above that I was looking for discounts given just for having NFCU status.

It's kind of hard to get a "discount" without spending money.

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that we've joined one of the most prestigious credit unions in the US, are there any benefits of having an account besides all the financial stuff they offer online or in branch? For example, can I get discounted meals at Denny's or stuff of this nature if I'm in NFCU? Something like being an AARP member, but for being an NFCU member instead.

paperchasers, this membermall feature may be another feature you were inquiring about in terms of discounts:

https://www.navyfederal.org/membership-benefits/offers-discounts/member-mall.php

Thanks for this, but I was looking for discounts that are given to NFCU members just for being in the organization.

Those are member discounts..................

Yes, I see that, but I'd have to spend money to get those discounts. I mentioned 2 lines above that I was looking for discounts given just for having NFCU status.

It's kind of hard to get a "discount" without spending money.

Exactly. Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 25
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Wasn't there a discount for NFCU members with GEICO?  I haven't heard anything about it in years, though.  I don't see it listed in the links for this thread.   I am sure there are many other discounts available.  It isn't just Hertz that have discounts for everyone (e.g. Alamo, National).

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.